Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 7:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

why chicks dig wankers - evolutionary psychology

evolutionary psychology is a very debateable subject, but very interesting nonetheless.

it offers attempts at evolutionary explanations for human behaviour, and even explanations for what may seem to be irrational behaviour.

so here is the take on why many girls seem to be into dickheads - the "bad boys".

In a seeming paradox, females often choose to procreate with males who have a phylogenetic predisposition to wreaking havoc on order and stability - who are the sort one might expect to choose and succeed in heroic pursuit. The explanation for this instinct is that, without the perpetuation of genes that lead to such tendencies, the community loses its capacity to accommodate crises (disorder and instability - particularly, warfare and natural disasters) and so is at a gross disadvantage relative to a population that has retained this capacity. In fact, without this capacity, humanity might have already passed into extinction. The iconoclast is despised for the disruption he threatens or causes, until the day he is revered as a hero for saving society from far graver disruption.

In a mirror to the seeming paradox of the previous paragraph, males - many of whom have a phylogenetic predisposition to shattering order and stability - often choose to procreate with females who are risk-averse and hostile toward things that threaten order and stability. The explanation is also a mirror - stabilizing and preservative influences have great survival value - but more obviously, these traits are precisely those that are conducive to successful rearing of children.
    http://www.mega.nu/gender.html

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 10:08am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fascinating.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 10:25am

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Horseshit. That quote pretty much encompasses everything wrong with evolutionary psychology, to such a degree that it could have been written by someone looking to discredit what is at best a dodgy pseudoscience.

If you've reached an age of majority and you can't see the logical and other fallacies in that spew, then you deserve to be led by the nose for the rest of your life. But just as a hint -- how does a "phylogenetic predisposition to wreaking havoc on order and stability" differ from, for an equally fictitious example, a racial disposition to eat watermelon?

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why does it seem like this is a thesis which tries to rationalize the author's Oedipus complex and why he throws a tantrum when his mom tells him to clean his room?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 10:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles
    Horseshit. That quote pretty much encompasses everything wrong with evolutionary psychology, to such a degree that it could have been written by someone looking to discredit what is at best a dodgy pseudoscience.

If you've reached an age of majority and you can't see the logical and other fallacies in that spew, then you deserve to be led by the nose for the rest of your life. But just as a hint -- how does a "phylogenetic predisposition to wreaking havoc on order and stability" differ from, for an equally fictitious example, a racial disposition to eat watermelon?
    i'm not planning to "be led by the nose" for the rest of my life.

going to bed now, so i'll have to discuss more later... but as i said before it's a bit iffy, and especially in some areas more than others.

so you're familiar with the rape stuff i gather?

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 10:48am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I like watermelon.

I think you are correct this stuff is like finding prophesy in codes in the bible. I do think that some women are attracted to out going men... Big surprise! and some men are attracted to women who are stable... Another surprise.

I think that modern convinces have made life such that men & women don't "need" each other for survival. We can each get by on our own so the myth of "romantic love" grows and grows and the divorce rate grows and grows.

I think people look for mates that "turn them on" instead of ones that would truly make a good partner. The ease of modern life makes men and women idiots who don't even look out for their own best interest or that of potential children.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 10:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. I love when people claim some sort of connection to evolutionary biology but are completley incapable of making either evolutionary or scientific arguments.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 10:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NEEDS MORE MARXISM
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

ˇViva los Muertos!

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 12:04pm

Style: Boxing/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed. That's some **** right there. My own accessment is that people deal inside the realm of gender stereotyping when creating their own sexual identities and when searching for a suitable mate.

It's more a conscious decision than anything else affected by their basic perceptions of gender.

For instance, homosexual men that act like bad stereotypes of trashy women. Personally, it boggles my mind that a man disposed towards persuing other men would act like a woman because women should have no part of the equation in a male/male relationship. It just makes no sense, yet they do it anyway. IMO it's because they act how they percieve other men want a sexual partner to act and better yet, they exaggerate their gender model believing they can somehow be more woman than a woman.

Similarly women who persue men with violent and overly agressive behavior do so because they are looking for the strongest man or the strongest acting man, which is more often the case when dealing with such assholes.

I think Chris Rock put it perfectly: She could have had good boy Roy, but instead she picked ass whup Magee.
    Last edited by Sun Wukong; 4/19/2006 12:12pm at .
    A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

ˇViva los Muertos!

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 12:14pm

Style: Boxing/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God I should have stayed in graduate school.
    A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill
Page 1 of 23 1 234511 ... LastLast