Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 7:12pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, sparring with TKDers sounds fun. I have friend that does TKD at a local club, maybe I should pay them a visit...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 11:21pm

Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    damn TKD mcdojangs giving the rest of us a bad name...

well anyways, the other day I was sparring and the guy I was against went for an axe kick for some reason (no way it could hit from where he was, its beyond me why he even tried it), then he lost his balance and did a kind of half-backflip and landed on his head.
    funniest thing I ever saw at the dojang.

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 2:26pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    damn TKD mcdojangs giving the rest of us a bad name...

well anyways, the other day I was sparring and the guy I was against went for an axe kick for some reason (no way it could hit from where he was, its beyond me why he even tried it), then he lost his balance and did a kind of half-backflip and landed on his head.
    funniest thing I ever saw at the dojang.
    Purely out of curiosity.
    What makes your dojang different from the others?

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 2:27pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    I joined up my University's TKD club for shits and giggles with my girlfriend. It was full blown McDojo, non-contact sparring and everything. I could only handle so much. The instructor was way cocky and under the impression that if the student he was sparring hit him "it was his fault for not getting out of the way". I took full advantage of this.

As you can imagine, halirity ensued for a semester, but some of the highlights include me Thai kicking him in the balls about 3 times because whenever I would go to kick about chest level (Stupid rules), he would "counter" with a headkick, and me shoving him into a set of rowing machines and clipping his ankle pretty bad.

Another time, some dude from my University found out I did martial arts and wanted to spar me. Fucker was another McDojo point sparrer crap fast. He explained the rules, and they were "No striking the legs, light contact to body, no contact to head or face". I sighed and played the point sparring game. Not only did I completely tool him at his own game, but he actually had to quit at one point because he kept firing front snap kicks at me. He had never seen a Muay Thai stance before. The front snap kicks kept hitting the points of my elbows, and eventually he fucked up his ankle pretty bad. Basically, if I just stood there, I would have won.
    I never understood the point of a front snap kick.
    What's the target even supposed to be?
    It seems like unless you're fighting an idiot who's standing in a horse stance going for his balls that it'd be useless...

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 2:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The front snap kick is basically what happens when a Krotty school wants to teach a pushkick but realises the mechanics are too tough for the kiddies to grasp so they give them something they can do in the air =P

Although Mark Su Kow actually managed to clip my chin pretty good with a front snap kick once.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 2:31pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen Semmy Schilt use front snap kicks effectively in MMA.

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 2:52pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a fan of TKD sparring partners myself. My favorite story is from around late in highschool, TKD sparring partner. He was taller than me an had a big range advantage but he was also scared of contact. He kept me at range with flailing legs and arms for the most part, right up until we connected shin-to-shin, thai kick v. tkd kick. No conditioning or sparring at the dojang apparently. He crumpled into a ball, holding his shin, and I had to drive him home.

I was a substitute teacher for a highschool class his little brother was in many years later. His little brother insisted that he, in fact, kicked my ass.

Dumbass story: I once teeped a thai bag, set the foot in rear, and proceeded to lift up my front foot for no particular reason - in a way that caught the bottom edge of the thing. It ripped half the toenail off. Pwned by a bag.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    I never understood the point of a front snap kick.
    What's the target even supposed to be?
    It seems like unless you're fighting an idiot who's standing in a horse stance going for his balls that it'd be useless...

Up under the kneecap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 3:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Purely out of curiosity.
    What makes your dojang different from the others?
    We actually use contact when we spar,except for damn tournaments against other places where we have to use point sparring crap.

We know the worthlessness of almost all the kicks, and we seem to be the only place that teaches their fighters to actuallu punch

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 3:19pm

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most recent one I can think of is about 3 years ago I was sparring with a young brown belt. He was about 15 years younger than me, and didn't know me. Apparently he had done TKD in his past and decided to try a spinning kick.

I think everyone in the room including me thought "Oh, no, he didn't!"

It was funny. It was like he was in slow motion. I can't remember the last time someone tried stupid crap like that on me. I stepped in and was kind enough to wait for his face to come around before I punch instead of just hitting him in the back of the head. The look in his eyes was priceless just before my fist hit. He had no idea I was that close to him.

I clocked him a good one, and he was man enough to say "good shot" as he went down, and then got up for more. He didn't spin again.

~
    I can also remember the first time I sparred I tried to do a front snap kick and the other guy blocked it with his shin and I broke my big toe.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast