Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 9:25pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Silicon Valley Judo?

I was looking for a good MA school in CA for my cousins and came across Silicon Valley Judo.

I've found the general consensus on this board to be that Judo is a great MA, especially for kids. Looking through the site it seemed reasonable enough. However, I want to make sure that...

- the instructors are qualified and legit in their rankings
    - they train with aliveness
    - they're not too kid conscious (aka no kid randori)

So I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the school? If not could I get some opinions as to how it looks compared to a standard Judo school? I'm appealing to the Judoka mainly, but any opinions are welcome.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 9:29pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    San Jose Judo is usually recognized as one of the best places in the US for Judo.

That, and their promotion video was nicely done. I have never gone there, but I have heard good things when training in the US.

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 11:36pm

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now that is how you do a promotional video!

Some good points from their web page…

No fatties need apply…

“Judo students should be in reasonable physical condition for their age to join.”

RANDORI!!!

“Once all exercises have been completed, students will either then receive instruction and work on their techniques or begin randori [free practice].”

NEWAZA!!! Hell ya…

“In the competitor class, students will first drill on their mat techniques and then engage in newaza [mat/grappling] practice. After newaza practice there is usually a short instruction period followed by throwing drills [uchikomi], throwing practice and finally tachiwaza randori.”

No Kiddy Black Belts!

“How do I get my black belt?
    Due to the competition structure in Judo, juniors [17 and under] usually do not receive their black belt unless they have an extraordinary tournament record. Our program for juniors is designed to get them to black belt by the time they reach their senior year of high school. For adults, we have a course curriculum that makes black belt an achievable goal within four to five years.”

You can observe a class…

“Can I watch practice?
    Yes - Please stop by during our scheduled practice times to watch practice. At SVJ we want to make sure Judo is a 'good fit' with all of our students before they make the commitment to join. Currently the best time to observe practice is Tuesday evenings for the adults and Thrusday afternoons for the juniors [under 13 years old]”

Lots of opportunities to compete…

“Are there competitions that I can participate in?
    There are over 12 tournaments in the bay area per year that children and adults can participate in. The coaching staff will attend all local tournaments if students are interested in competing. There is also a state championship for both Juniors and Seniors. Students that compete well at the state championships are eligible to compete at the national championships.”

Cost is a little high, but it looks like a good club…

“What is the cost?

We have plans that range from $60 to $200 per month. Please stop by to discuss with us which plan will work for you based on your goals and needs.”
    Last edited by Olorin; 4/18/2006 11:40pm at .

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 5:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. I'm gonna try to attend a trial class and relay what I see here.

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 7:40pm

Style: BJJ, KB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds pretty cool - where in CA is this?

Achievements:

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 8:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    120 Stockton Avenue, San Jose

I attended a class and would give the gym a good review based on what I've seen so far. Hopefully my cousin will like it.

Pros:
    - VERY nice facility
    - experienced and open-minded instructors (two senseis I worked with had 40+ years judo and 27 years)
    - train with "aliveness"
    - no kiddy blackbelts
    - enter in lots of competition
    - no contracts

Cons:
    - For those who've had legitimate MA experience the beginning classes may seem a bit slow as they explain the principles judo and who Kano is etc.
    - Possibly price? While I was offered a reasonable monthly payment their site suggests that some payment plans can reach up to $200

that's all I can recall for now

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 9:27pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wonder what can warrant $200 a month for tuition? Cranford Judo in New Jersey is run by an Olympic Judo coach (who's taught guys like Mike Swain and Allen Coage aka "Bad News Brown") who charges at most $110 a month if you don't pay upfront, but can go down to around $60 if you pay by the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.