Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 12:44am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahoushi
    TheForeigner108 -- everyone can still pick on ninja. Ninja are a free for all.
    Good one.

You have earned my respect.

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 12:51am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Da SHreDdA
    rampage is a just a street fighter with no experience in anything but eating ****

fucking hate that guy

with him its not just a wrestling judo thing but a black vs white thing...cant stand it

also i wanan say wrestling should stay in high schools and has anyone else noticed alot of fighters over the years dont even have good martial arts backrounds? they learn a move here and there and call it MMA?
    Wrestling is an old MA and an effective one at that. Wrestling works and so long as it does people should keep learning it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 1:01am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahoushi
    Yeah, I'm a judoka. I grok judo. I also grok wrestling. I know they're different. I didn't say they were the same; I said they use the same skill set of close-in fighting, fighting on the ground, takedowns, locks, holds, etc. All of that is common to wrestling and judo. Judo is a form of wrestling, is all I'm saying. Saying that wrestling is better than judo is like saying kickboxing is better than boxing. The differences are there, but they're mostly unimportant because there's a level of common skill there that ties them together.

I mean, there are only so many ways one can grapple; that various cultures around the world should have come up with similar ways of doing it shouldn't be surprising. It should be the norm.
    If they used the same skill set, Wrestling would have subs.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 1:56am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But winning by submission is a rules thing, not a techniques thing.

Wrestling has locks and holds (which are the same basic skill as a sub). Armbar, RNC, headlock, full nelson... all the same basic type of thing.

To extend my boxing/kickboxing analogy. Kickboxing has kicks... but it's still the same <i>type</i> of skill set as boxing -- footwork, strikes, dodging, etc.

A boxer and a kickboxer would find more in common than in difference; the same with a wrestler and a judoka.
    --
    L.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 11:40pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Punch
    Hey, you know what? I heard Giant Silva question the effectivness of muay thai in a clinch the other day.
    No, you didn't.

Also, Giant Silva is a freakshow who can't fight worth a damn. Rampage has fucked up the current UFC light heavyweight champion. I will at least consider what one of them has to say about martial arts, even if I disagree with it. Guess which one?
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    - In wrestling, you are supposed to control the fall of your opponent (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
    That's folkstyle (high school and collegiate). In freestyle and Greco you can slam the **** out of your opponent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 8:26pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meager
    No, you didn't.

Also, Giant Silva is a freakshow who can't fight worth a damn. Rampage has fucked up the current UFC light heavyweight champion. I will at least consider what one of them has to say about martial arts, even if I disagree with it. Guess which one?

That's folkstyle (high school and collegiate). In freestyle and Greco you can slam the **** out of your opponent.
    No, you can not see sarcasm, even when it's right in front of you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 3:22am

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was a high school wrestler and did Judo for a couple years in my early 20's.

One notable difference not yet mentioned is that Judo throws also have the burden of having to be aestheically (sp?) pleasing to be scored. That is the way the rules were set up, you can't just "drag" your opponent to the ground in Judo. The way they get to the ground matters. Kano thought throws should be graceful.

In (Freestyle) wrestling all you have to do is get your opponent down to score points. I know Greco is different.

I think wrestling IS more suited to MMA and I think Judo is more suited to "self-defense" application. Judo throws generally hurt more and are more dangerous than wrestling takedowns, though either can be very powerful.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234