Sponsored Links Spacer Image

**** you math class

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it would sting a little, but break my bones? Only if you hit me with the box.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 11:20pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    I guess it would sting a little, but break my bones? Only if you hit me with the box.
    I wouldn't do that. I never assault people with boxes. I'm nice. Here is a photo of me being nice.

Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 12:26am

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    However, using God as justification in an argument or as a reason for an otherwise immoral action is most definitely BS.
    You mean like... "God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East."

:new_snipe

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 1:08am

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sparrow, it is as you said a matter of faith. If God came down to earth every other Tuesday and told us all what we were doing wrong and what we need to do to save our souls then no one in their right mind could disbelieve. Believers must have faith…that is the whole point. You must believe despite the lack of evidence, if there was solid evidence we would not call it faith.

However, you do bring up an interesting point and that is what constitutes proof. Let us jettison the martial arts debate for a moment. From a distance, experts appear to know what they are taking about, however the closer you look the more distorted becomes the picture. As an academic myself, I know that proof is a difficult concept to conceptualize. How do we know that the experts are right? How do we know that the sources (that we base our theories upon) are sound? How do you know that reality is what we perceive? (Plato's Allegory of a Cave) Moreover, how do you know that you exist at all? We cannot prove that God exists any more that you can you prove that I exist? Now we have all heard "Cogito, ergo sum" the famious quote by René Descartes. However this quote does not solve the fundamental question. We may think, we may doubt, but that does not prove our existance. How can I, how can anyone, prove that God exists? You cannot even prove that I exist, maybe I am just a vioce in your head, how can you prove me wrong?

Enough of that. Martial Arts and relegion are two diffrent things. Every discipline has its own methodology. And each discipline has its own standards of proof. Even scientific truth changes, what we belive as true today will be laughted at one hundred years from now. Just as we find silly the ideas of the Middle Ages, so will people in the future find our ideas silly.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin
    Sparrow, it is as you said a matter of faith. If God came down to earth every other Tuesday and told us all what we were doing wrong and what we need to do to save our souls then no one in their right mind could disbelieve. Believers must have faith…that is the whole point. You must believe despite the lack of evidence, if there was solid evidence we would not call it faith.

However, you do bring up an interesting point and that is what constitutes proof. Let us jettison the martial arts debate for a moment. From a distance, experts appear to know what they are taking about, however the closer you look the more distorted becomes the picture. As an academic myself, I know that proof is a difficult concept to conceptualize. How do we know that the experts are right? How do we know that the sources (that we base our theories upon) are sound? How do you know that reality is what we perceive? (Plato's Allegory of a Cave) Moreover, how do you know that you exist at all? We cannot prove that God exists any more that you can you prove that I exist? Now we have all heard "Cogito, ergo sum" the famious quote by René Descartes. However this quote does not solve the fundamental question. We may think, we may doubt, but that does not prove our existance. How can I, how can anyone, prove that God exists? You cannot even prove that I exist, maybe I am just a vioce in your head, how can you prove me wrong?

Enough of that. Martial Arts and relegion are two diffrent things. Every discipline has its own methodology. And each discipline has its own standards of proof. Even scientific truth changes, what we belive as true today will be laughted at one hundred years from now. Just as we find silly the ideas of the Middle Ages, so will people in the future find our ideas silly.
    What is your PhD on? PM if you like.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 1:18am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin
    Olorin's post.
    Edit: I believe you are the most earnest poster in all of Bullshido
    Last edited by jnp; 4/19/2006 1:21am at .
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 8:45pm

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know the Importance of Being Earnest.
    Last edited by Olorin; 4/19/2006 8:48pm at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 6:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Gnujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was a believer for 29 years but now I been reborn as a non-believer. Belief in God is the result of nothing more than suggestion. If you want to believe in something so bad, chances are you will and the more you reinforce that belief, the more it becomes "real" to you to the point where it is almost impossible to convince you otherwise.
    Legendary Street Fighter
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456