223617 Bullies, 3676 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 58
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. TheSparrow is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    434

    Posted On:
    4/18/2006 4:46pm


     Style: Shutting up and training

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Is belief in God BS?

    Say you have a martial art that is "for the street". It cannot be tested in the ring. We all know that this is complete bullshit. The ring is where things are proven and disproven in martial arts. The laboratory if you will.

    Now I don't believe in a God. But I know a lot of people who do, including in my family. When I ask them about the proof for existence of God, I usually get a response along the lines of "his existence cannot be proven, you just have to believe".

    Now doesn't this sound like fluffy cloud martial arts? You *believe* something that you learn will work, but you cannot prove it.

    IMO, people who claim that God exists have the burden of proof on themselves. Just the same as in real life. If you claim something, it's up to you to prove it. If you say "it cannot be proven" then you should accept it when people say that they choose not to believe. But, just like in martial arts, it doesn't seem to work this way. If you don't believe in God, you're damned to hell and you won't get saved by the Lord Jesus Christ.

    Do cult-like martial arts and religions with supreme beings appeal to the same part of a person's psyche?

    ---

    To take it one step further, I also believe that the Bible is just a collection of fairy tales. A lot of people believe it is the word of God. The difference is, I have some sort of proof. It has been proven that the universe was not created in 7 days, I'm fairly sure it's been proven that female humans do not descend from the rib of the first male human.

    But those who believe in the Bible are constantly forced to twist, turn, cringe, squirm and dig themselves into holes over "not taking the Bible literally". I bet they weren't saying this before we found out the creation story was bogus.
    Also, we are now told that "the Bible is not meant to be a science book!".
    OK. So why do people use it as such? Apparently, in some bloody vague way it has to be said, the Bible says that the planets go around the sun and that we are made up of atoms. Of course, it claims that such orbits are circular, when in fact they are not quite. But, hey, the Bible isn't a Science Book!
    How far can this be taken? You can bet that if String Theory becomes a standard model for physics, people will find out that it says so in the Bible.
    In addition, I once read a book that said science should stop wasting money searching for alien life. Why? Because there is NO alien life. How do we know this? Well, the "proof" is in the Bible!
    I must admit, the vomit stains on that particular page did not come out easily.

    This all *stinks* of Wing Chun. Desperately trying to find every answer within the forms. Not all the answers are there. In fact, most of the answers are bullshit. Just because you heard that 50 years ago in Hong Kong those WERE the answers, doesn't mean they really are. Just the same with the Bible stories.

    Now I recognise that religion has done good for society. It's also done bad, but we know that. And, it has certainly made good people out of previously bad people.
    But so have martial arts. But they are about fighting. What is religion about? Offering a new neighbour a friendly cup of tea? Or actually answering fundamental questions about the universe?
    I actually don't know, I'm not religious see.
  2. DerAuslander is offline
    DerAuslander's Avatar

    Valiant Monk of Booze & War

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,451

    Posted On:
    4/18/2006 4:47pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Truthfully...

    I wouldn't want to believe in a God I can prove.
  3. TheSparrow is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    434

    Posted On:
    4/18/2006 4:48pm


     Style: Shutting up and training

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Truthfully...

    I wouldn't want to believe in a God I can prove.
    Then it wouldn't be a belief, it would be a fact.
  4. DerAuslander is offline
    DerAuslander's Avatar

    Valiant Monk of Booze & War

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,451

    Posted On:
    4/18/2006 4:50pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSparrow
    Then it wouldn't be a belief, it would be a fact.
    Which would make God a contained, knowable factor. Capable of being explained, examined, and controlled by man.

    Ungodly.
  5. TheSparrow is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    434

    Posted On:
    4/18/2006 4:52pm


     Style: Shutting up and training

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Which would make God a contained, knowable factor. Capable of being explained, examined, and controlled by man.

    Ungodly.
    Well I don't like the thought of God being outside the realm of man. If there is a God, and he is outside the realm of man, then he is of no consequence. If he does something in the world of men, then we can in theory detect him, and he becomes un-Godly.
    So, if he does exist, he has little relevance to my life.
  6. saku39 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tokyo/Atlanta
    Posts
    232

    Posted On:
    4/18/2006 4:56pm


     Style: taido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, religions are bullshit. Your points are good, but unfortunately bringing up such a topic on this site is about equivalent to talking about MMA on aikiweb. Its not whether or not people agree with you here, its that you dont know the calibur of people you are discussing with, and this place does not need to, nor does it apply by, the rules of logic. Bullshido's testing grounds are actual training. But in discussion of things like religion logic is the law. I recomend you go here:

    http://www.infidels.org/

    very good site for philosophical, science, religious discussion, and people understand and use the rules of logic in their arguements.
  7. broken fingers is offline
    broken fingers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx
    Posts
    1,213

    Posted On:
    4/18/2006 4:57pm


     Style: mixed

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *staying away from thread*
  8. DerAuslander is offline
    DerAuslander's Avatar

    Valiant Monk of Booze & War

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,451

    Posted On:
    4/18/2006 4:58pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSparrow
    Well I don't like the thought of God being outside the realm of man. If there is a God, and he is outside the realm of man, then he is of no consequence. If he does something in the world of men, then we can in theory detect him, and he becomes un-Godly.
    So, if he does exist, he has little relevance to my life.
    I never said outside the realm of man.
  9. BackFistMonkey is offline
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar

    Actual Photo

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,285

    Posted On:
    4/18/2006 5:04pm

    supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSparrow
    Is belief in God BS?
    Is Belief in the Easter Bunny , Santa Claus , Dim Mak , and Chi Balls BS ?

    It is My personal opinion that they are all powered the same forces . Human imagintion .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
  10. TheSparrow is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    434

    Posted On:
    4/18/2006 5:08pm


     Style: Shutting up and training

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    I never said outside the realm of man.
    So what is he outside then?
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.