4/18/2006 2:57pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HAI????

Trapping is over thinking.

Registered Member

I'm surrounded by farms in middle america.

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 3:03pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train in Jun Fan, the only trapping I've ever used sparring is Pak Sao Da. I use a lot of Panatukan tricks though.

Pak Sao Da (nutshelled) is when you slap the other guy's arm down and punch him in the face/throat/sternum. The rest of trapping can do to hell. Now passing, gunting, and elbow destructions -- those are fun to do. Nothing like seeing your partner's face the first time he throws a cross right onto your pointy, pointy elbow.

I do Jun Fan, but if we're going all JKD philosophical, I reject 99.9% of trapping as impractical for me (still, its fun to practice every now and then because it looks cool when you get to flowing fast with it).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 1:18am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ, Kickboxin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the responses guys. Okay, here is what I think about trapping: I think its useful, I think the theory is very cool, and I think if executed properly (10% trapping 90% punching, elbows, knees, as opposed to the way the Wing Chun guys do it 90% trapping 10% wondering why its not working) It has some serious benifits both physically, (no one here is gonna argue the legitimacy of elbows, knees and headbutts) and also psychologically (people freak out when you get that close that fast). My major critisism (this is where the progressive nature of JKDC comes in) is that the training methods are too traditional, too static, and so it breeds techniques that just cant be used in application. In terms of grappling being used to counter trapping range, I would argue that trapping range is a transitional range, so for it to flow into grappling is okay. Aside from that, the likley hood of doing serious damage to an opponent is high in trapping range beacuse of the tools being used (elbows, knees, ect). In short, trapping is overhyped and overused by many JFGF (Jun Fan Gung Fu) guys and also many JKD guys (Im not even gonna mention Wing Chun) but is still a highly effective area of training not to be ignored. Oh and Omega? HIA means 'Hand Imobalisation attack'

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 3:10am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godhand88
    Oh and Omega? HIA means 'Hand Imobalisation attack'
    Like I said, too much thinking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 3:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    Like I said, too much thinking.
    Stratergy scare you?

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 3:34am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godhand88
    Stratergy scare you?
    He's a retired professional MMA Fighter (who also was a kickboxer) with an extensive background in multiple martial arts, and he currently trains fighters.

Clearly his opinion is worthless.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 4:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    He's a retired professional MMA Fighter (who also was a kickboxer) with an extensive background in multiple martial arts, and he currently trains fighters.

Clearly his opinion is worthless.
    Okay, Alrite, I was out of line. I was just having a bit of fun. And check my previous posts. I certainly take what he has to say into consideration. In fact, many of my responses are adressed to what he has to say specifically.

But by the same token, I dont think anything qualifies anyone to be the begining and end of a discussion. Otherwise, these forums would be kinda usless no?

Again, that should by no means diminish his achievments, but to say that trapping is over thinking? I mean, sure, thinking at the expense of acting is the end of any martial artist, but much of trapping is no less complex than many Shooto takedowns or more complex submissions.

And to Omega specifically, incase its needed, I meant no disrespect.
    Last edited by Godhand; 4/19/2006 4:04am at .

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 4:01am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking."

THere's a point where you are thinking instead of doing.

That's too much strategy.

On topic: JKD has always seemed to me to be too mixed to give an opinion on it as a whole.

I have not been impressed with JKDC people in my personal encounters, but those have all been with dubious "martial larpers" who could barely lift and open an Ed Greenwood novel without cracking a sweat. . .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 5:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, there are too many Bruce Lee wannabe JKDists out there. But hey, there are no fewer crapplers.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 6:06am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't take anything you said as an insult. Let me help you with the correct response "fuckem if the oh so fucking mighty omega can't take a fucking joke, he can suck my left one if he can't. Doesn't matter if he can kick my ass, if he can't take a joke then he can lick my ass while he's at it"

Damn, I've got to educate a new group of newbies.

Traps and HAI's are fine concepts but get in the way of most people's free thinking. Give them a path and they'll think it's the way rather understanding the concept presented to them. This get's in the way of true learning. Best philosophy of defending comes from the movies. Yes the Tao of the Western culture. I take two quotes that my students always hear once per week:

"Go that way, real fast, if something get's in your way...turn."

"Best Block don't be there"

Now go spar.....
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast