Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Long time reader...first time poster

Hello all, been reading the forums here for quite a while, figured it's about time I sign up and post! That is, when I get up the courage, some of you guys are pretty ruthless :D But seriously, I always enjoy spending some time on here and look forward to future posts!

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krav_Guy
    Hello all, been reading the forums here for quite a while, figured it's about time I sign up and post! That is, when I get up the courage, some of you guys are pretty ruthless :D But seriously, I always enjoy spending some time on here and look forward to future posts!
    Hello there !!! It is so nice to meet you . :occasion1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks! I'm still trying to get the heang of the user cp, I'm determined to get an avatar by the end of the nite!

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks! I'm still trying to get the heang of the user cp, I'm determined to get an avatar by the end of the nite!

Hey I was gonna say
    What are you retarded ?

Oh yeah .. you do Krav Maga
    then make a reference to not having an avatar till someone breaks down and messages you step by step instruction .

But then I remembered that :
    #1 this is Newbietown
    #2 I don't know **** about Krav Maga
    #3 I don't know you

so I decided to simply ask you to describe Krav Maga to me .
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for giving me a second chance :p, Krav Maga is a self defense system developed for the Israel military. It’s built on people’s natural reactions and is designed to be easy to learn. It is considered the most “battle-tested” system to date, and improvements and changes to techniques are always making their way down the pipeline. In my opinion it brings the most intense training and not only teaches you to defend yourself effectively, but gets you in great shape as well. You can probably tell I recruit for my school lol, anyways I don’t want to go on and on, there’s tons of info available at http://www.kravmaga.com/ if you interested in the history or anything current. Or if you have any specific question I'll try my best to answer them.

And you will notice…still no avatar…

Style
    none currently, ex-TSK
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Actually curious... not just flaming

Thanks for giving me a second chance :p, Krav Maga is a self defense system developed for the Israel military. It’s built on people’s natural reactions and is designed to be easy to learn. It is considered the most “battle-tested” system to date, and improvements and changes to techniques are always making their way down the pipeline. In my opinion it brings the most intense training and not only teaches you to defend yourself effectively, but gets you in great shape as well. You can probably tell I recruit for my school lol, anyways I don’t want to go on and on, there’s tons of info available at http://www.kravmaga.com/ if you interested in the history or anything current. Or if you have any specific question I'll try my best to answer them.

Who considers it the most "battle-tested" system to date and why? Is the Israeli military really getting into that many hand-to-hand fights? Is it effective against "trained" fighters or does it rely on natural (i.e, untrained) reactions? Is there continuous, contact-oriented sparring? What does it cost per month, on average?
    Last edited by bodar; 4/19/2006 12:46pm at .

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

DOh ' * slaps forhead * I can't actually PM you the info till you have ten posts .

Well .. I have taken and explored a couple of arts that rely on "peoples natural reactions " and everytime I have been disappointed becouse most people react differently based on their training and personal expirence .

But as long as you guys are sparring fullcontact and not limiting yourself to only standup or ground work , and training with/against people from other arts I could see Krav Maga over coming the "assuming peoples reactions " limitation .

You have a few more posts till you can recieve or send I.M.'s . Will you please toot Krav Maga's horn a few more times . You are pretty safe here in Newbietown and only Omega has the right to drag you over the hot coals in this section ( unless you start acting like Lord_Sloth ... then its open season ) . I am actually very interested in your training practices .
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys for taking an interest in my “art” (I use the quotations because we always joke that Krav is more martial then art), and allowing me to go on about it a bit more :P

Firstly just a quick bit of it’s history, it was developed by a man named Imi Lichtenfeld, born in 1910. Imi learned to fight in the 30’s while protecting himself and his Jewish neighbours from fascists, and was involved in many fights preventing anti-Semitic groups from terrorizing the Jewish community. In 1940 he left his home, came to Palestine, and joined the Haganah who fought to create an independent Israel, and where he began teaching basic self defense. In the 50’s Imi refined his system, teaching self defense and hand to hand combat to instructors and soldiers of the Israel defense force’s elites. Israel being in a constant state of war with it’s neighbours, the techniques were constantly being tested on battlefields, not in theory. Upon retiring Imi devoted his time to adapting Krav Maga to everyday life, adjusting it to supply solutions to ordinary men, women and children, and it spread rapidly throughout the civilian population. In 1981 the first international Krav Maga instructor’s course was held and was attended by Darren Levine, who brought the system to the U.S., while in constant contact and training with Imi. In 1983 the Krav Maga Association was formed to promote Krav Maga in the U.S. and promote good relations between the U.S. and Israel. In 1984 Darren receives his first degree black belt in Krav Maga. In 1987 Darren and his student began teaching Krav to Law enforcement in the U.S., and it was adapted to suit law enforcement personal and military under Imi’s guidance. In 1997 The Krav Maga national training center was opened in Los Angeles, a 6,000 sq ft facility. In 1998 Imi passed away at the ago of 88.

When you begin training you start of with the basics, stance, straight punches movement, outisde 360 degree blocks, round kick, front kick and some basic self defense etc, and later add in bobing, slipping, counters etc. But it’s not all hand to hand, since this was developed for the military, as your progress you begin to learn defense again knife, gun, stick, axe, assault rifle, and hand grenades. (In the much higher levels)

I absolutely believe a trained Krav Maga student would win against another trained fighter, of course there’s always variables and what ifs, but Krav is a self defense system without limitations. If you need to pick up a rock, a chair, a stick, smash his head in, take his eye’s out to save your life then that’s what you do.

Krav uses a persons natural reactions to make techniques easy to learn, for example, if someone approaches you from the front and begins to choke you, your natural reaction is to grab their hands. One of the first techniques you’ll learn is the “pluck” where using your hands like “meat hooks” you come around the outside of your assailant’s arms, stabbing your fingertips into your sternum, around the assailant’s wrists, and “pluck” they’re hands off of your throat, pinning them at your shoulders, in one explosive motion. (By bringing your shoulder blades together at the back like one of those people who crush pop cans back there) at she same time you give ‘em a good kick to the groin and proceed into the clinch and do all sorts of nasty things, being as aggressive as possible until your opponent is unable to fight back. The same plucking technique is then used in every other choke scenario, (such as a choke from the rear, side, choke while mounted) one technique for multiple scenarios. The techniques are designed to be easy to learn and effective. For example, one of the girls at our school is about 5’1” and maybe 110lbs, and regularly defends herself against bear hugs, headlocks and chokes from guys 6’ 200lbs.

Currently at the school I train at we have regular classes, cardio bag classes and fight class. (Gloves, mouth-guards, head gear and shin guards, full contact). We do regular “stress” drills, my favorite being one where a few students stand in the class room , with the lights off and loud music blasting, eyes closed and randomly attacked by another group of students. Or “shark bate”, one student in the middle of several others, constantly attacked for about 2 minutes. We have “slow and go” drills where you punch or kick the pads, working on technique for about 20 seconds, then go all out as hard and fast as possible for about 30 seconds, and repeat as necessary.

The tests so far have been the hardest, most rewarding things I have ever done, each more then the last. It’s impossible to describe the intensity and it is only by an act of pure will each student is still standing at the end. The goal is to simulate real life as close as possible, without injuring your partner. (The black belt test, invitation only, involves defense against a live knife.)

Since I’ve been with this school since they started their Krav Maga program I’ve got a pretty good rate of about $100 a month. But it’s the same as any thing else, the cost will change from school to school depending on what they have to offer at their facilities, I’ve even heard the school in Buffalo has a room set up like a bar for even more realistic scenarios. The one thing that won’t change is the curriculum. Every school will be teaching the same techniques at the same levels, where with traditional martial arts you may find techniques change from instructor to instructor.

Anyways I should probably stop right about here, this has turned into a short novel, as you can tell I’m pretty passionate about what I do. Please comment and ask questions so I can toot some more! :P (and of course if any other Kraver's have corrections for my history, curriculum etc please let me know)

Thanks again for making me feel welcome

Style
    American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I can say is DDDDAAAYYYYYYYMMMMMM, you have been sucked into the hype of Krap Maga. I've seen many of the vids of Krap Maga and they look like bad Kenpoists, well, being as they stole some of our techniques and all LOL.

Find a good Muy Thai or BJJ school, you'll get much more from it.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Style
    BJJ/Judo/Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I spent a few months training krav maga a few months back. It did have a lot of cheesy techniques. Their were two things I did like about it though. 1) Lots of physical condisioning. 2) Live sparing. However the live sparing was rare and only 2 people ever came to the live sparing class. Its no fun sparing with the same guy over and over again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last