Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 6:45am

Style: Shutting up and training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrosmurf
    I once thought that Chi-sao training was an efficient way of acquiring realistic fighting abilities.
    Well I never! Me too!

I also thought that any and all weaknesses in Wing Chun would be cleared up once I knew the Biu Tze form. Damn. Was I in for a shock....
    :viking:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 7:32am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSparrow
    Well I never! Me too!

I also thought that any and all weaknesses in Wing Chun would be cleared up once I knew the Biu Tze form. Damn. Was I in for a shock....
    :viking:
    Oh, yeah, one huge _ing __un delusion is their belief in the usefulness of the finger jab/eye gouge, the cure-all, go-to-move; even funnier is when they combine the eye jab with dim mak!

My favorite, and related, delusion is that _ing __un "is for street not sport", and hence why persons using it always get their ass handed to them in a ring or gym.

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 8:09am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While not necessarily _ing _ung, I remember a Shaolin Do seminar with Grandmaster Sin talking about a pressure point that would "make you laugh yourself to death, because you would be too busy laughing to breath."
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 8:39am

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why does this thread seem so familiar....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 8:50am

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by whybother
    My favorite, and related, delusion is that _ing __un "is for street not sport", and hence why persons using it always get their ass handed to them in a ring or gym.

Thats because it was not on the street ;)

it was in a gym or ring.

Note, I don't do WC, worked out once with some people who did. Not defending them either, just poking fun at your comment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 9:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They'd get their ass handed to them "on the street" too if they fought anyone with decent skills. In fact, they'd get their ass handed to them just about anywhere. The point is that they, like all bullshido, will have some excuse or out as to why their "skills" can not be put to any test: want to see it in a gym? well, it only works on the street. Agree to fight in the street; well, it only works in life or death situations (and they don't want to kill or maim you).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 9:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    speaking of _ing _un forums crappola.....found this on one regarding the usefullness of chain punching.....(http://www.wingchun.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=1919)

QUESTION: I have heard some other martial artists that has done other martial arts have said that wing chun's chain punches is not as effective and is useless. It can easily be broken by elbowing the side of the face or using the knee. Even with the open hand palm, most have said it is a good technique but don't hit more of the critical areas. Why do we use chain punches?

RESPONSE 1: Because it works... Elbowing to the side of the face needs to come around the punches so physically it cannot be as quick nor should he be able to get inside the punches to easily launch this elbow...At a senior level there is alot more to chain punching than just hitting someone repetitively; once you have learned chum kiu and more so biu gee the chain punch generates energy used to suck the person you are hitting into a vortex they cannot escape.

RESPONSE 2: A vortex? wow? how does it suck the person in? Can you explain it more?

RESPONSE 1: Well vortex was the only word i could think of to describe it but really thats about what its like...

Essentially the whirling energy generated in Biu gee can be used once wrist contact is made and an external force is applied to redirect this force to the centre of the vortex, hence falling in. This will suck the attacker in dragging him forward into your punch... Once the opponent is sucked into this vortex the elbow force generated by the chain punching will not let them out, the elbow dropping will suck them furthur into your next punch until you are done punching.

Oh and totally agree that you only need chain punch if one does not work in the first place and I would limit to 2-3 as well...

Jesus tap dancing christ, a fucking chain punching vortex?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 9:54am

Style: Shutting up and training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GOD DAMN IT! I was drinking nice coffee and lost most of it thanks to that! :new_shock

Sounds *fairly* typical. WC people do love talking about the "whirlpool" energy of the Biu Tze form. There is no doubting that if you know that form and train hard at that level, your strikes will be more effective. But, you could look back and think "it took me five years to get my punches that good....I could have gone to a boxing gym and made them even better in 20% of the time."

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    speaking of _ing _un forums crappola.....found this on one regarding the usefullness of chain punching.....(http://www.wingchun.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=1919)

QUESTION: I have heard some other martial artists that has done other martial arts have said that wing chun's chain punches is not as effective and is useless. It can easily be broken by elbowing the side of the face or using the knee. Even with the open hand palm, most have said it is a good technique but don't hit more of the critical areas. Why do we use chain punches?

RESPONSE 1: Because it works... Elbowing to the side of the face needs to come around the punches so physically it cannot be as quick nor should he be able to get inside the punches to easily launch this elbow...At a senior level there is alot more to chain punching than just hitting someone repetitively; once you have learned chum kiu and more so biu gee the chain punch generates energy used to suck the person you are hitting into a vortex they cannot escape.

RESPONSE 2: A vortex? wow? how does it suck the person in? Can you explain it more?

RESPONSE 1: Well vortex was the only word i could think of to describe it but really thats about what its like...

Essentially the whirling energy generated in Biu gee can be used once wrist contact is made and an external force is applied to redirect this force to the centre of the vortex, hence falling in. This will suck the attacker in dragging him forward into your punch... Once the opponent is sucked into this vortex the elbow force generated by the chain punching will not let them out, the elbow dropping will suck them furthur into your next punch until you are done punching.

Oh and totally agree that you only need chain punch if one does not work in the first place and I would limit to 2-3 as well...

Jesus tap dancing christ, a fucking chain punching vortex?

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 10:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Simply refuse to go to the ground.
    2. Grappling is just the forms applied horitzontaly.
    3. It's a principal based system and therefore works anywhere (space, underwater, etc). Just like SCARS.
    4. Chi Sau is the same as sparring.

I have probably said it all before though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 11:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you seen the latest _ing __un e-pub?

http://www.wingchunteahouse.org/Wing...Spring2006.pdf

Oh, boy.
Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12 34561252 ... LastLast