Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 4:11pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    One time I got offered a job to be a super secret Assassin for the CIA. Lincoln is dead, so you may surmise that I accepted.

That JWB was always such a patsy.

So you're really old?

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 5:00pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No but I can travel through time.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 6:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    During the application process, I've contended with as many as 400 applicants (for a town of 60,000ish). I'm sure there are bigger numbers for bigger places.

Point is, they probably won't be hiring the people who say in the interviews: "I want a change of pace from IT, and the pay seems ok."

Ya know?

So by all means take some ride-alongs and develop a cohesive philosophy of why you really want to do this.

Our department has seen it's share of people who apply on a whim, have the (mis)fortune of going through one of the easier police academies, and wind up getting in over their heads. Some of those people, unfortuneatly, do not quit or get fired either.
    Last edited by Nid; 4/17/2006 6:27pm at .

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 7:48pm

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    Point is, they probably won't be hiring the people who say in the interviews: "I want a change of pace from IT, and the pay seems ok."

Ya know?
    Yeah tell them "I vant to punish the guilty!"
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 8:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe not *quite* that enthusiastic.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 8:43pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was a cop for 4 years, the place I was at was fairly high crime and it is in a drug infested part of the US.

My suggestion, if you like the lifestyle, go for it. It is a 24/7 thing that changes the way you interact with everyone you know, especially your spouse.

Mids are awesome, everyone you talk to is a shithead and you can get away with the funner part of police work-driving fast, busting DUIs and tons of street level ****.

Things that are not fun-
    fighting all the time -exciting but the constant up and down of adrenaline can really tire you out.
    Sitting on your ass and writing paperwork-there is always more being added because someone else doesn't want to do it.
    Fucked up hours-Work all night and have a DUI trial all day, good for the paycheck but bad for sleep.
    Desensitization-your significant other thought you were morbidly aloof before, wait till after you see a bunch of Floaters-dead children-rape victims-rapists-etc you won't ever feel an emotion again

If you do it, I hope you can deal with it. The stress that comes with it is unlike being in the military or anything else. There is no coming home from it, its around you when you are off duty also. If you can handle the lifestyle, I know guys who can, it is an awesome job.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 12:08am

Style: Can't afford one yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread really hits home with me. I decided 18 months ago that I want to quit IT and go for a job with the FBI. I have a couple years before I can become a US citizen, and I'm doing everything possible until that point to become the best candidate I can. All my workouts, all my training, all my decisions are geared towards achieving that goal in 2009.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 7:47am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    During the application process, I've contended with as many as 400 applicants (for a town of 60,000ish). I'm sure there are bigger numbers for bigger places.

Ya know?

So by all means take some ride-alongs and develop a cohesive philosophy of why you really want to do this.

Our department has seen it's share of people who apply on a whim, have the (mis)fortune of going through one of the easier police academies, and wind up getting in over their heads. Some of those people, unfortuneatly, do not quit or get fired either.
    I figured I'd just tell em I'm an egomaniac and a sociopath who wants a gun and a power trip. :new_2guns

But seriously. I do understand the situation. I spent a few hours talking to an officer last night and I have a lot more info to work with now. The way the applicaton process works here is if I apply now it will be almost a year before they will make me take the written/physical exams and all the other fun tests. So I figure I have time to really think about it and go on a few ride alongs. I really want to be challenged mentally and physically and I want to solve probelms. I got into IT to solve problems. I am driven in life to find bigger and bigger challenges and fix them. I'm not 100% sure that this is the life for me, but after last night i'm 80% sure. Hopefully a few ride alongs will let me know. The training doesn't seem to bad, I was told I can go home on the weekends to be with my wife and that's most important for me. I dont think I could go weeks without seeing her without ruining the relationship. After that it looks like you just shut up and do what your told for about a year or two. The rest sounds like what I thought it was. Driving around a mostly boring city with the occassional flair up of crazy people.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123