Page 1 of 3 123 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

From IT to Police?

I recently was talking to a friend of mine who is a police officer and he let me know they are currently hiring. He knows i'm getting really bored as a programer and I'm looking for a change of pace (although not to seriously, I love my job. I'm just getting bored with programming. I'm thinking of getting out of 'computers'). Its a mid to large size city with nominal crime in the midwest. Surprisingly the pay is not that bad and is actually about 5k more then I make currently.

I was wondering if anyone on the forums was a city police officer. I wonder what the job was like for them and if they think it is worth persuing. What is a common day like? Is it a good long term career? Any other input.

So do you guys think this is worth persuing? If I do, should I go get a degree in criminal justice first (A degree is not listed as a requirement)? Or should I just give it a shot and see what happens? I'm going to talk to a few guys tonight who work on the force and if I'm still interested setup a ride along, but I wanted to get other opinions from other officers out there in the internet community.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm actually thinking of taking the SCPD test next May. Between the pay and the benefits it's definitely worth it to me.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I recently was talking to a friend of mine who is a police officer and he let me know they are currently hiring. He knows i'm getting really bored as a programer and I'm looking for a change of pace (although not to seriously, I love my job. I'm just getting bored with programming. I'm thinking of getting out of 'computers'). Its a mid to large size city with nominal crime in the midwest. Surprisingly the pay is not that bad and is actually about 5k more then I make currently.

I was wondering if anyone on the forums was a city police officer. I wonder what the job was like for them and if they think it is worth persuing. What is a common day like? Is it a good long term career? Any other input.

So do you guys think this is worth persuing? If I do, should I go get a degree in criminal justice first (A degree is not listed as a requirement)? Or should I just give it a shot and see what happens? I'm going to talk to a few guys tonight who work on the force and if I'm still interested setup a ride along, but I wanted to get other opinions from other officers out there in the internet community.

I work for the indianapolis Police department. Stay in It.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never been a cop, but there are lots of cops in my family. I can't really give you a "day in the life" type deal, but I do know most of the ones I know all worked security jobs in bars and dance halls as half their income. I think it depends on your personality. I would have been a cop, but the pay was not enough for me.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

and good morning to you too supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too weird. Was in school for criminal justice while working in IT. Every cop I spoke with (over a dozen) said I was nuts to want to go into LE if I could "do computers". I've been rethinking that decision since I'm going nowhere (no where left but management. **** that.) and outsourceing will eat my job eventually.

Do the ride along no matter what - they're a blast - but from what I was told either you are drawn to that field or you're not. I'd say don't do it just it do something different.

random funny - the criminal justice program advisor when I was in school was named Mr Crooks.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's always BlackwaterUSA, if you've got military experience. I've kicked around the idea of both a bit since I sit on my ass WAY too much doing IT stuff and I'm tired of fighting a daily battle against being a dough-ass. The money in IT is just too good and I've got a thing for expensive cigars, fast cars, and guns; none of which are cheap.

What about being a Fireman?

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bad Boy, Bad Boy, Wachaganado?

People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There's always BlackwaterUSA, if you've got military experience. I've kicked around the idea of both a bit since I sit on my ass WAY too much doing IT stuff and I'm tired of fighting a daily battle against being a dough-ass. The money in IT is just too good and I've got a thing for expensive cigars, fast cars, and guns; none of which are cheap.

What about being a Fireman?

I am trying to get out of public safety/LE.....If i had it to do again and decided this is what i wanted they i would go fire......They get more chicks......

PT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had simillar thoughts about the software->police thing, and whilst the money is less, I could cope. However, one thing I've heard about (by anecdote only) in the UK is that whilst the official maximum joining age is 50-something (with the usual PR stuff about valuing life-experience etc..) in practice this is only really for people with military/other uniformed service experience and that 30-something is considered a bit too old for people coming from a completely 'civilian' background.

Is this the same in the US ? what are the 'official' maximum ages like ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about being a dirty cop? You could make awesome cash I bet.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last