Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 10:22am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For setting up the shot with kuzushi- do you mean pull him down and towards you, causing him to respond by moving back and up, and then shooting? Or something more complex?

While we're talking about easy to use takedowns, how about a fun to use counter against people who go for seoi nage and the like? Tani otoshi: for when you want to do judo, but do not want to attack. I find it particularly useful when going against people who are trying judo-style throws, but do not necessarily know how to do them well (ie the white belt division of a BJJ tournament).

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 3:00pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfOlives
    For setting up the shot with kuzushi- do you mean pull him down and towards you, causing him to respond by moving back and up, and then shooting? Or something more complex?
    If you're talking to me, something different. I don't think it's more complex though. There are myriad ways to set up a shot for the single or double. I favor jerking my opponent sideways in a specific manner to set up the single. It works well for me but was not my original method. I can't shoot straight on my opponent with good technique anymore because my knees won't allow it.

I'm planning on posting a description of this setup for the single leg in my training log. It's just a rough draft in my head right now.

*snort* It makes me laugh to think there might be people out there who take me seriously. Because I sure as hell don't.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 2:18am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here it is made simple:

You have a good single leg to YOUR right side, on his LEFT leg. Set it up by clubbing his head a few times making him posture to get out of head control. Now one of these times that you club his head you PULL him to YOUR left (his right). He will step forward for balance with his right leg, and then quickly pull it back for a stable base. Time your shot with the pull. The second you pull you pivot slightly and shoot for his left leg. What happens is - since we are bipeds - when he pulls his right leg back from the unbalancing all his weight will be on his left leg and he cant pick it up and set it back out of the way.

You have a few things going for you at this point. He is bringing his foot and weight back ever so slightly. He is trying to posture back from the head clubbing. And you are moving forward.

Now obviously there are much sneakier and many more complex ways to shoot in. But this is a tried and true favorite. It is simple. And it works.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 1:36pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea singles work great. I was sparring a kickboxer/Kempo guy this week. He was dominating the standup and I couldnt get any shot in. Even when I clinched though he was solid and I couldnt dominate that. So I backed out threw some jabs and went for a single leg takedwon. Right to side mount and then mount. Did it twice. If you time right there great and hard to defend.

Posted On:
    5/02/2006 9:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Exactly. And at that range it isn't too hard to get grips. Grips that let you stiff arm better than you could no gi and grips that make a sprawl more effective.
    This is part of my point. I don't see singles and doubles a lot in the gi (successful anyway) for these very reasons. It is easier (in some senses) to control an opponent in the gi.
    Following on from this then, do you think its more beneficial staying primarily with Judo takedowns as opposed to learning wrestling takedowns? My classes don't teach stand up at all, and I'm trying to work out what would be better given I've got limited time.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    5/02/2006 11:44pm

TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Astro25, it depends on what you are looking for. If your goal is simply sport BJJ then yea you should focus on Judo takedowns where the gi is involved. If you wanna do no-gi, MMA or want to defend yourself then the wrestlers takedowns would be your focus. Do both but focus on one for the type of even/situation you are training for.

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 5:29am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    If you wanna do no-gi, MMA or want to defend yourself then the wrestlers takedowns would be your focus. Do both but focus on one for the type of even/situation you are training for.
    Why do you think wrestling takedowns would be better for defending yourself? Judo throws tend to be higher-amplitude on average (i.e. more devastating) and, as I understand it, wrestlers often tend to drop onto their knees making the shoot, which is far from ideal on concrete. Add to this that in many parts of the world people wear enough clothing to allow purchase for gi-style grips, and I think there's a stronger case for judo (though some no-gi judo training would be helpful to round out the gripping).

For no-gi and MMA, yeah, but for self-defence?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 9:58am

Style: Judo, Muay Khmer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sophist - I think the thought is that something that works in no-gi situations will always work, whereas the gi techniques sometimes won't. Of course, you could just do the judo techniques using under/over hooks and get the best of both worlds.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 1:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian
    Sophist - I think the thought is that something that works in no-gi situations will always work, whereas the gi techniques sometimes won't. Of course, you could just do the judo techniques using under/over hooks and get the best of both worlds.
    Thats what I was referring to. In no-gi youll be using the same movements but with hooks which can work in both situations. Also alot of takedowns dont require you to drop on a knee. Duck unders, hip throws, arm drags and trips are all a part of wrestling and popular takedowns.

Posted On:
    5/03/2006 6:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian
    But do no-gi techniques "always" work? Wasn't the prevailing view that gi grips make a lot of wrestling techniques unsucessful?

Btw thanks for the advice GIJoe6186. Atm I'm competing in sport BJJ, and I guess it does make sense to train takedowns for this.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast