Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 2:55pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    I used to love the fireman's carry, but have gotten away from it in the last 6 or 8 months. I like setting it up with armdrags or a failed seio-nage/seio-nage feint. Perhaps I should revisit when my ribs are healthy . . .
    seoi nage to seoi otoshi is nice if they're trying to swing around and side step.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dirty Rooster
    I don't train any JJ, but during my own training the commonest way for me to intentionally takedown my opponent is to pick up one of his legs while shouldering forward to his midsection.
    So, what's this called in BJJ ??
    Snatch single?
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 5:52pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    How do you stuff them? Crossface, sprawl or something else?
    I feel the same way too. In a gi shooting in with doubles and singles is harder because the guy that sprawls has alot more to grab on to. I mainly go for upper body takedwons such as sweeps and throws in the gi. W/O the gi its easier to shoot in.

Does anyone here do Greco-Roman? There style of takedowns should be great because they focus on the upperbody. Ive heard there similar to judo takedowns but w/o the gi.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't know anything about takedowns, but I've been working no-gi lately so I asked my folkstyle wrestling buddy to work takedowns with me.

He didn't show me any new takedowns, but he gave me a foundation in setting them up.

I found out that I like duck-unders because I am short (5' 7.5") and they're relatively low risk: when I try to duck-under and fail, people haven't really been able to counter effectively so far. Maybe this will change... any thoughts?

Also, we worked a drill for setting up those double and single legs well. Instead of trading takedowns and standing up again to continue, we just work for control and setups and then slap the leg(s). The assumption is that if I can slap your legs, I could have shot on them.

This was a valuable lesson in distancing for me - it made my double/single legs more effective because I was so close by the time I shot in. The next day I was taking down my usual training partner nearly at will and he kept telling me how fast I was... I'm wasn't any faster than the previous day, but I had better set up my shots.
    -Jordan

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 6:24pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Duck unders are great but you have to make sure you have good control with it. I use them but if you mess up and dont control the arm your ducking under I think you could be easily caught in a guilitene. Any thoughts on that?

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 6:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you stuff them? Crossface, sprawl or something else?
    Sprawl and grips. Nogi I can hit doubles from a tieup. In the gi a good grip makes level changes less sharp and aides stiff arming.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 6:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been having success with them [duck unders], but I have been trying to set them up well. Like my right arm on their neck, my left over their right arm... I twist his right arm down towards the mat and as he tries to regain his posture, that's when I duck under on his right. Pull him down, he tries to stand up, duck under.

Same idea as how I've been working my double legs... I pull his posture down with a grip on his neck, and when he tries to stand up, I just let him. That's when I shoot. He wants to stand up? Fine by me, that makes my job so much easier!

Edit: grammar
    -Jordan

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 7:24pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Sprawl and grips. Nogi I can hit doubles from a tieup. In the gi a good grip makes level changes less sharp and aides stiff arming.
    Then it has more to do with your training partners not setting up good shots rather than your defense. One of the most frequent mistakes I see wrestlers and jiu-jitsukas make is shooting from too far out. Unless you're a NCAA champion level wrestler, you should be shooting from just outside the clinch range IMO. Any farther out and a good sprawler can counter 90% of the time.

Another common mistake is not controlling your opponent to set up your shot. I sprawl and pancake people all the time because they shoot without the necessary measure of control when they take their shot. If you have good grips on my gi I should not be thinking about single or double legs anyway. Set up yor shot. I have always used the Judo concept of kuzushi (sp?) to set up my shots. I take my shot when he is off balance.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then it has more to do with your training partners not setting up good shots rather than your defense. One of the most frequent mistakes I see wrestlers and jiu-jitsukas make is shooting from too far out. Unless you're a NCAA champion level wrestler, you should be shooting from just outside the clinch range IMO. Any farther out and a good sprawler can counter 90% of the time.
    Exactly. And at that range it isn't too hard to get grips. Grips that let you stiff arm better than you could no gi and grips that make a sprawl more effective.
    Another common mistake is not controlling your opponent to set up your shot. I sprawl and pancake people all the time because they shoot without the necessary measure of control when they take their shot. If you have good grips on my gi I should not be thinking about single or double legs anyway. Set up yor shot. I have always used the Judo concept of kuzushi (sp?) to set up my shots. I take my shot when he is off balance.
    This is part of my point. I don't see singles and doubles a lot in the gi (successful anyway) for these very reasons. It is easier (in some senses) to control an opponent in the gi.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 7:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    interesting points Upa and jnp
    -Jordan
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast