Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 11:22am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    I'm suprised about the extolling of singles and doubles for bjj. I find they're a lot easier to stuff in the gi.
    Singles and doubles are good fundamental takedowns for the beginning takedown artist. I prefer single legs because my knee won't allow me a good solid shot for the double anymore. A well setup single or double with a solid shoot is very hard to stuff, not impossible, just hard.

My favorite setup for the single is to circle around towards one side of my opponent while I'm grabbing and pulling his far side (relative to the direction I am circling) hand towards me. As his far leg steps towards me, I change levels to go for the single. If done correctly the leg you're attacking should be very close when you drop. Keep hold of the hand for more control and to bend him at the waist. This makes it much harder to sprawl.

Also, arm drags are great setups for many takedowns. When I wrestled, arm drags were my main offensive setup for most of my takedowns. Anytime your opponent reaches for your head or shoulder an arm drag opportunity exists. There are arm drags to singles, arm drags to firemans, arm drag to back suplex etc. Too many to mention here.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 11:53am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Also, arm drags are great setups for many takedowns. When I wrestled, arm drags were my main offensive setup for most of my takedowns. Anytime your opponent reaches for your head or shoulder an arm drag opportunity exists. There are arm drags to singles, arm drags to firemans, arm drag to back suplex etc. Too many to mention here.
    And unlike Wing Chun, arm drags actually have many valid applications on the ground, so you would be well-served to practice them until they are second nature.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 12:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    And unlike Wing Chun, arm drags actually have many valid applications on the ground, so you would be well-served to practice them until they are second nature.
    Are we allowed to mention the forbidden MA that dares not to speak its own name in DHS?

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Singles and doubles are good fundamental takedowns for the beginning takedown artist. I prefer single legs because my knee won't allow me a good solid shot for the double anymore. A well setup single or double with a solid shoot is very hard to stuff, not impossible, just hard.
    Even in the gi? I'm fine with singles and doubles no-gi but do an okay job stuffing even our good wrestlers in the gi.

I love armdrags.
    Funny you mention firemans. I am currently favoring them over singles or doubles in the gi. 'Course my back is jacked and so I'm having a harder time turning right after lifting them.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 12:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even in the gi? I'm fine with singles and doubles no-gi but do an okay job stuffing even our good wrestlers in the gi.
    How do you stuff them? Crossface, sprawl or something else?

I love armdrags.
    Funny you mention firemans. I am currently favoring them over singles or doubles in the gi. 'Course my back is jacked and so I'm having a harder time turning right after lifting them.
    Arm drag to firemans was my favorite takedown in wrestling. Not the highest percentage, but still my favorite. I tried it on a big guy during training two years ago. I got the takedown but ripped a small hole in my inner (?) bursa for my troubles. The lesson here? Don't try a technically intricate takedown for the first time in ten years during sparring.

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 12:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love armdrags.
    I used to love the fireman's carry, but have gotten away from it in the last 6 or 8 months. I like setting it up with armdrags or a failed seio-nage/seio-nage feint. Perhaps I should revisit when my ribs are healthy . . .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 1:40pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any other takedowns I apply come from confused standing grapples and reaps, so I don't even 'train' for them.
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 4/18/2006 2:29pm at .

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 2:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster
    I don't train any JJ, but during my own training the commonest way for me to intentionally takedown my opponent is to pick up one of his legs while shouldering forward to his midsection.
    So, what's this called in BJJ ??
    Crappling. Not knowing what your doing. Sucktitude. Submission Foder. _ing _un. Stupid.

The annoying thing is in BJJ there are several names for any one technique.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 2:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    I like setting it up with armdrags or a failed seio-nage/seio-nage feint. Perhaps I should revisit when my ribs are healthy . . .
    I'll try that since most of my hip throws fail.

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 2:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll try that since most of my hip throws fail.
    It occurs to me that it might also work from drop seio-nage if you really screw the pooch on that one, but it's just a tentative thought and I haven't tried it that I know of. Could be worthless.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast