Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 2:30pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    I'm suprised about the extolling of singles and doubles for bjj. I find they're a lot easier to stuff in the gi.
    I like singles because they transition well into a lot of other stuff. Ouchi gari and ankle picks, for instance.

Can't really speak to double legs, though.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 4:09pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    Instead, I've decided to work on getting single legs, as I find them easier to pull off with just a little training, and considering that I spend about five minutes a month working on takedowns, I figure it would be best to concentrate all of that time on just learning one takedown properly.
    That's not a bad idea at all. Only thing I'd recommend is when you are shooting, don't drop to your knees hard. Once you get into that habit, and when you are fighting over glass broken street or lava flowing volcanoe. Your will break your knee dropping your weight on it. This is true for drop knee seoi nage too.

As for takedown technique, I say focus on two. If you feel comfortable going in low, maybe kata guruma as your second arsenal.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 4:29pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78
    That's not a bad idea at all. Only thing I'd recommend is when you are shooting, don't drop to your knees hard. Once you get into that habit, and when you are fighting over glass broken street or lava flowing volcanoe. Your will break your knee dropping your weight on it. This is true for drop knee seoi nage too.
    When you double leg, ideally you want to come into contact with your target before your knee hits the ground. Not only does that slow your knee to ground acceleration, it also allows whatever drive is left from your knee to the ground to push your opponent backwards. Hence the importance of the penetration step. If you were shooting knee first from 8 feet you'd probably have to worry about a broken knee.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did Judo before I did BJJ so I don't really have much of a problem.

But as others have said I find it better to have just a few good throws than trying to memorize the codex of all judo throws. I have a couple of basic attacks that work well together. I have a couple that work well as counters.

Having everyone fear your high altitude takedowns makes your work so much easier.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 6:12pm

Style: MT, Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's always the basic tried and true techniques that work the best for me and everyone else.

Hip throws, single legs, double legs, ankle/knee picks, and trips. If you can get good at those, and drill those as much as possible, your takedowns will never suffer. simple is best.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 11:12pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMG I went to my new gym in DC today and realized I'd walked into a wrestling class by mistake. I learnt more about takedowns in one hour than I'd done in my 18 months of BJJ. I'm definitly gonna continue going.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 12:21am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PoleFighter just start grappling standing up once in a while. Also, when you have open mat have a takedown contest. Start standing and try to take each other down. After a sucessful takedown you and your partner start over again. Its an easy way to drill takedowns quickly and is used by many wrestling teams.

Like the others said pick three takedowns and drill them in your takedown contest. Only thing I disagree with is to learn one for each situation such as moving forward or back. Pick 3, maybe single leg, double leg & hip throw. Learn each one from various setups such as moving forward, back and to the side. Then youll start to develop some good takedown skills.

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 1:17am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    Like the others said pick three takedowns and drill them in your takedown contest. Only thing I disagree with is to learn one for each situation such as moving forward or back. Pick 3, maybe single leg, double leg & hip throw. Learn each one from various setups such as moving forward, back and to the side.
    That's certainly a valid alternative to what I suggested.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 1:30am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    OMG I went to my new gym in DC today and realized I'd walked into a wrestling class by mistake. I learnt more about takedowns in one hour than I'd done in my 18 months of BJJ. I'm definitly gonna continue going.

Would that everyone could make such a fortunate mistake!
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 1:34am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Burning Gaze has cleansed this domain of the Sins of Crappling.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast