Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 11:37am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training philosophy for learning takedowns in BJJ

While I'm sure that there are exceptions, most BJJ schools alot a pitiful amount of training time to takedowns, meaning that most BJJ:ers are unprepared in the area when they enter competitions, glass-strewn parkinglots and lava-laden alleys.

My question is, how do you make the most of the limited amount of time dedicated to takedowns? My idea right now is to completely dispense with the judo-throws I'm being taught, as they seem to risky to try without a significant amount of training time invested in them. Instead, I've decided to work on getting single legs, as I find them easier to pull off with just a little training, and considering that I spend about five minutes a month working on takedowns, I figure it would be best to concentrate all of that time on just learning one takedown properly.

Any comments on this?
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 12:10pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try to learn two or three takedowns really well (Ideally, one for moving forward, one for moving backward, and one for moving to the side). If your class has open mat, insist upon starting from standing.

When I'm healthy, I can work takedowns at least two days a week at my school. Of course, if I neglect them for three or four months, my hip throws will be sloppy come tournament time, and I'll get pissed at myself . . . but that's neither here nor there.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's pretty much how I look at it. But if you want to learn one takedown, you better learn it extremely well. The guy who teaches the no-gi class was watching the NCAA wrestling matches, and told us about one dude who would only do one takedown, a snatch single leg. But he hit it every time because his setups were good and he was just amazing at the takedown.

I switched over to no-gi class to work takedowns. We spend half the class working on double and single legs, sprawling, takedown setups, clinch and pummel, and live standup guaranteed.

If all else fails, work the clinch and trip stuff. I'd say that has the most flexibility for the mat and the lava filled parking lots.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 12:14pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I spend about as much time on takedowns as you do. I really prefer to play my top game, but in competition I don't get to unless I sweep because I've been pulling and jumping guard. It's the one thing I wish someone at my club could teach me. I feel like such a wuss everytime I pull guard. I don't want to pull guard but I'm forced to if I feel like my opponent is even average at takedowns. I don't like to waste my match time standing.

I did the same thing as you, learned three takedowns and just focused on those three. The thing is, I've only landed a takedown once in 11 matches with those because I have to force those throws. My grappling philosophy is to go with the flow and take what my opponent gives me. If they don't give me one of the throws I know then I'm SOL. I usually end up SOL.

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 12:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've gotten at least one takedown of some kind in every single match besides one, and that one time I was up against a 6'7" 333 pound tyrannosaurus rex.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 12:21pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So which takedowns, then, would be considered the "basics" that one should work on? Double/single and hipthrow? Optimally, they should be ones that work both with gi/no-gi, as I've started doing both.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 12:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    So which takedowns, then, would be considered the "basics" that one should work on? Double/single and hipthrow? Optimally, they should be ones that work both with gi/no-gi, as I've started doing both.
    I like uchi mata, harai goshi, the wrestler's hip throw (not really sure what it's called other than a hip toss), single legs, hiza guruma, and osoto gari. I'd like to get good at lateral throws to supplement hiza guruma for side throws, but we'll see if that ever happens.

I guess it should be noted that I'm 6'1" 220 and pretty stocky. The throws that work best for me aren't necessarily going to be the ones that work best for you.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 12:37pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    Try several different takedowns untill you find a few that suit you. Singles and doubles are great for BJJ competition. Hip throws are also good. Keep it simple, don't try to master anything flashy until you have damn good fundamentals.

We don't train takedowns enough at my Dojo. To compensate I will often drill takedowns the first 15 or 20 minutes of open mat. Then I'll ask my training partner to start standing. Find a partner with whom you can drill and make it happen.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two things. What about Cross training in Judo for a little while? I believe that Gumby does this. And does any gym teach Collegiate/Amateur wrestling for amateur competitions? If so that could be be a better option.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 4/17/2006 1:49pm at . Reason: Bad grammar/Stupidity.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm suprised about the extolling of singles and doubles for bjj. I find they're a lot easier to stuff in the gi.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast