Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 5:42am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To clarify: running is good, but rugby gets you attempting to run past groups of burly people trying to take you down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 7:50am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do a drill where a couple of attackers get given plastic bottles and then merrily twat some poor sod who should in theory be using his Jitsu to throw and sisable the attackers.

The drill makes it painfully clear that against two commited attackers you'r screwed unless you happen to be very good and very lucky.

The lessons we got out if it seem to be:

1. Run because 9 times out of ten you lose anyway
    2. If you can't run then take out the bigger guy, if you go for the short guy and get tangled up then the bigger guy can (In the cases I saw anyway) merrily beat the hell out of you simply by reaching over the shorter guys head
    3. Attack first and aim to take one guy out with a lucky/good shot (It might happen)
    4. Try and keep one guy between you and the other guy, move sideways to do this and not backwards though because eventually you end up trapped
    5. For some reason circling out to your left seems to work much much better than going right
    6. The moment you get a chance run away

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 7:16pm

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if i can throw my tuppence worth at this...

I cant remember who it was who said it (or probably what film it was in ) but for two or three opponents (any more than that and you be fucked) all you have to do to win is be prepared to do what the other guy isn't, and do something so horrific to the first person that the others won't want to play.

people I work with in the past, when faced with more than one attacker, have stabbed people in the body with biros or batoned them across the jaw (i have never seen this myself properly, however I am told it is the shock and awe of fighting) The one I have done is getting a pre emptive knee stomp in, it didnt break it (rather dissappointingly) however the noise of popping tendons isn't nice

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 9:46pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TCDD
    if i can throw my tuppence worth at this...

I cant remember who it was who said it (or probably what film it was in ) but for two or three opponents (any more than that and you be fucked) all you have to do to win is be prepared to do what the other guy isn't, and do something so horrific to the first person that the others won't want to play.

people I work with in the past, when faced with more than one attacker, have stabbed people in the body with biros or batoned them across the jaw (i have never seen this myself properly, however I am told it is the shock and awe of fighting) The one I have done is getting a pre emptive knee stomp in, it didnt break it (rather dissappointingly) however the noise of popping tendons isn't nice
    Or that could just piss off the other two enough to kill you. If you start attacking you better be sure you can win.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 11:25pm

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "One to one problem, yes. FIVE to one problem, too much ask anyone."

I agree. Run.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 6:55pm

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fictionpimp

its what is, at work, commonly called 'small mans violence' aka making up for size by being horrendously, brutally and quickly violent to shock your opponent as otherwise they will be all over you.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 7:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Human shields are a must.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 10:03am

Style: Moo Thai & Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We used to do a lot of these drills when I did Krav Maga. The idea was basically to get yourself into a postition where you could escape. The attackers were generally restricted to striking but occassionally they were allowed to tackle as well which made things very difficult. One guy would grab your legs while the other would thump you.

I am enjoying BJJ and did Muay Thai for quite a while but I still maintain that Krav is the best MA I have done from a purely self-defence aspect. You WILL NOT be able to beat a trained fighter one-on-one but it teaches self-defense in many situations (multiple attackers, weapons, being attacked when seated, getting attacked while in a car, weapon threats, etc). They do teach 'teh d3adly' eye gouge and groin strike but NEVER as a fight finisher, merely as distraction techniques so that you can get away from your attacker.

IMO 'sport' martial arts trying to teach self-defense techniques is about as bad as learning groundfighting at Wing Chun. Different MA's should stick with what they are good at and not try to be all MA's. Muay Thai has NO ground game and many people are fine with that. All my rolling in BJJ starts from the knees, I am not expecting to learn killer boxing techniques while training.
    Last edited by Mayhem; 4/26/2006 10:08am at .

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 10:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TCDD
    Yeah yeah, great idea for a movie. I've done this, and it can backfire very nastily. Three guys cornered me in the toilets at a pub, they were giving me **** and I was obviously gonna get smacked, so I sucker punched the first guy who stepped forward (with his chin up, hehe) and knocked him on his arse. The other two, instead of backing off in awe of my d34dly s7r337 sk1llz, laid into me hard. To top it off the other guy got back up and joined in the fun. It was a great night for me, I ended up in A and E covered in blood and piss, and was very lucky to come away without being seriously fucked up. So in short, DO NOT DO THIS! I'd have been better off trying to bull through em to the door.

The only thing that really saved me was the advice of a tough old codger I once knew, he said "if you get set on by more than one guy and you go down, grab one of the fuckers, pull em in tight as you can and DO NOT LET FUCKING GO FOR ANYTHING".
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 4/26/2006 10:43am at .

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 11:50am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bulling through works great. If you can slam someone along the way and get clear of the melee in the process, all the better.

Oh, and unless you are a true heavyweight power puncher, it is much easier to throw/slam someone into unconsciousness than it is to punch them into it.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast