Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 1:55pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    Aikido has **** all to do with multiple opponent training. The multiple opponent randori is just retarded even when it is all striking. When you get jumped, you want to run as fast as possible towards your back up. At that point, many people think they can turn around and fight. Nope. Grab your friends and keep running. Whether or not you have friends around, once you've started running, hop the nearest fence. After crashing through half the neighborhood's backyards and knocking over a few mailboxes, garbage cans and fence posts, they'll notice something is wrong. However, when they prepare to confront your and/or call the cops, the guys you were running from should be just around the corner. Ignore the angry neighbors and keep running. At this point, you need to be looking at the situation like its The Warriors. Haul ass back home by any means necessary.

To train for this, go to the nearest baseball field or basketball court and scale the fence several times. Hurtle the fences in your residential areas. Do a lot of wind sprints.

Now, all of that sounded silly I'm sure, but I guarantee you that running as fast as possible towards home will serve you much better than a 5 on 1 brawl.
    As I'm the only one who mentioned aikido, I assume that you are targeting that twoards me. As you might have noticed, my comment was that you should A) defend the attack, B) make space C) get the hell out of there. That is what our multiple oppoent randori training is about. Yes, it is unrealistic in that they only do bad strikes, but it does give you that urgency feel and at least in my dojo, if your not keeping up the pace you are going to get into trouble. Will it teach you to defeate 3 guys who want to kick your ass? HELL NO!. But just like the bjj drill I described, it helps you learn that the most important thing is to keep moving and keep away. this seems to be a universal theme, keep moving. Running away is fine, and the best defense (as long as you can outrun them). But second to running away is to keep moving. Being used to moving around people who are trying to grab on to you and hit you is a hard skill to learn even in one on one combat. In some cases its even more important than running because you are going to need to defend and move before you are in a position to escape. The only way to do this is though drills and 'alive' training. There have been many good posts on drills people do to help prepare for this. i would concider the aikido drill to be a very low level basics drill, the next step up would be a drill with real punches/kicks. The next step up after that would be a drill with takedowns. After that you could make it even more involved by also drilling technical standups. Or you could go balls to the wall with full on multiple person sparing. All of these different types of drills/sparing will help give you SOME of the tools you are going to need to survive. These training methods are going to give you the ablity to make intelligent defense decisions. Its the difference between running blindly though the middle of a group of 5 guys, or making a decisive intelligent movement that is ment to allow you to escape.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about drilling any kind of attacks or locks against the attackers. I would just worry about drilling defenses and movement to allow for escapes. As everyone stated there is no point in attempting to 'win' this situation, but rather just move and escape. With that in mind it should be easy to make up drills that fit that model.

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 2:18pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim
    How would one go about training for Multiple Opponent scenarios? RBSD takes alot of flak, but how would one properly train for such an event? Is it even worth training for?

Thanks in advance for any input you may be able to offer.

-Seraphim
    Take Track and Field in High School.

Run Away.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 3:46pm

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I skimmed through the other posts and hope Iím not repeating anything but,
    A few strategies Iíve heard for 2 on 1 fights is to position yourself so that one attacker is in front of the other, if the attacker at the rear moves to his right, you move to your right, this way youíre only fighting one person, and the other attacker canít reach you. Iíve also heard of using your surroundings, getting a wall at your back will assure no-one can sneak up behind you, letting you concentrate on the opponents in front of you. Grabbing a chair is also a good idea to keep some distance between you and attackers. These are thingís Iíve heard and only had few chances to test, the first one works well but once itís more then 2 on 1 Iíd say youíre pretty much screwed. In any case I think The Villain had the best advice. Run Forest run!

Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    Aikido has **** all to do with multiple opponent training. The multiple opponent randori is just retarded even when it is all striking. When you get jumped, you want to run as fast as possible towards your back up. At that point, many people think they can turn around and fight. Nope. Grab your friends and keep running. Whether or not you have friends around, once you've started running, hop the nearest fence. After crashing through half the neighborhood's backyards and knocking over a few mailboxes, garbage cans and fence posts, they'll notice something is wrong. However, when they prepare to confront your and/or call the cops, the guys you were running from should be just around the corner. Ignore the angry neighbors and keep running. At this point, you need to be looking at the situation like its The Warriors. Haul ass back home by any means necessary.

To train for this, go to the nearest baseball field or basketball court and scale the fence several times. Hurtle the fences in your residential areas. Do a lot of wind sprints.

Now, all of that sounded silly I'm sure, but I guarantee you that running as fast as possible towards home will serve you much better than a 5 on 1 brawl.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Take Track and Field in High School.

Run Away.
    What if you're the "shot put guy" on the track team?
    8:1 you lose?
    You can't run away. . .
    now, what?

`~/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 4:46pm

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meex
    You can't run away. . .
    now, what?

`~/
    No running away but you could probably hurl a mean rock at your attackers...

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 6:45pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meex
    You can't run away. . .
    now, what?

`~/
    I guess you just curl up in a ball and wait for death.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    I've had 3 or 4 guys put on boxing gloves and we take turns beating the crap out of one guy.

It really brings out your footwork andhead movement. Sink or swim.

BTW we were not grappling or doing takedowns with this kind of drill. That would have been suicidal. It was strictly striking. And that was hard enough just to survive. I guess it is worthwhile to develop a specific subset of skills, but be sure it does not encourage people to think they can fight multiple opponents like in a Bruce Lee movie.
    We do a restricted movemen drill where you're designated a tiny area to move on and two guys are trying to beat on you while you dodge and bob and weave on your little patch of land. It never gets easy.

hehe. As for the "add the grappling" perspective. We did a "terrorist" drill like this once. The instructor had gotten one too many multiple opponent questions at the end of a class and told the guy asking that he was now a terrorist and he was aiming to get close to the VIP (a random guy in the other end of the room) Now 3 of us standing in the middle were to stop him by any means necessary. Our objective was to stop him and get him off the mats.

Long story short, he didn't even get half way across the room before he was jumped, taken down and carried off the mat. Then we took turns being the bad guy and the same thing will happen every damn time.

You might think "but in a defensive scenario all you would have to do is run away". But no, in a defensive scenario they will want to block your escape route. You will be very fucked in a multiples scenario no matter what. Getting out of it is a wild scramble with luck. No matter if you've trained for a year or 30 years, add another human being or 2 and you are in trouble.

So. Where are we? Oh yes. You can't fight in a multiple opponent scenario unless you want to get your ass kicked. (Assuming these are not 3 skinny cowardly geeks vs. one big strong MArtist, but rather normal people who actually ARE trying to kick your ass). So everyone advocates running away. Damn straight. Only way to get out of stuff like this is to run away. Strike to loosen any grips that may land, tear yourself the hell loose and find an escape route. In a Multiples scenario, you WILL be grabbed, no fucking question about it. Try the game I mentioned above. It sounds dumb doesn't it, but it's such a harmless way to teach anyone how retarted it really is.

How do you gain an edge on more people? Weapons, but ooops, you just escalated the threat. Three people get you anyway when you wield a weapon on them, you might not be walking home tonight. Or ever.

Anyone advocating the multiple opponent thing is out of their fucking minds. I understand the concern. I understand the need for questions. I understand the need for discussion. I even understand why the topic always is relevant. But fighting or preparing yourself for multiple opponents is next to pointless.

There. Got the weekly rant out of my system.
    More human than human is our motto.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 12:49am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Where's that heisman pic?

Running back training is totally the way to go for multiple attackers
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 2:14am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    stating the obvious, i think that 1 vs 2 could sometimes be feasible if the person is a much better fighter than the other two. i know a couple of people who have successfully fought 2 or 3.

but multiples vs multiples can work of course. recently in the soloman islands a few australian security guards managed to hold off a mob trying to get through a doorway. can't remember much more of the report i saw.

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 5:41am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** running. Take rugby.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast