Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 9:52am

Style: mantis kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

the effectiveness of chow gar vs other styles

I've been practising chow gar for about two years now, and to me compared with other styles it is very effective. In fact almost invincible I think, although previously I had only done karate and was not very keen on it and so did not progress very far. Anytime i've sparred with people from other systems i have not had to use much energy and found that their moves are telegraphed like they work for the royal mail, although in saying that it could say something about the people i've been sparring with, all of these people have been practising for at least the same amount of time, if not longer than i've been training. So I would like to know if anybody has either fought using chow gar against other systems or if from another system and has fought with a practitioner of chow gar can you tell me your views please.

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 10:50am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmantis
    I've been practising chow gar for about two years now, and to me compared with other styles it is very effective. In fact almost invincible I think, although previously I had only done karate and was not very keen on it and so did not progress very far. Anytime i've sparred with people from other systems i have not had to use much energy and found that their moves are telegraphed like they work for the royal mail, although in saying that it could say something about the people i've been sparring with, all of these people have been practising for at least the same amount of time, if not longer than i've been training. So I would like to know if anybody has either fought using chow gar against other systems or if from another system and has fought with a practitioner of chow gar can you tell me your views please.
    kf;dr
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 11:10am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think everyone here pretty much agrees with you. It is an invincible style. No one has ever found anything else that works and that's why we all do it.

Unfortunately. I hear at sherdog they don't believe in it as we all do. Perhaps you'd care to help enlighten them too?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shitstorm is on the horizon!!!

Based on the most recent data obtained from weather-and-moron satellites, the National Hurricane Center is issuing the following forecast:

Shitstorm category 5 bearing at idiotic speeds. It is adviced to stay indoors, unless you have a sling or homemade catapult/trebuchet, and a supply of anal expelled, solid or fragmentary **** projectiles of various calibers (preferably fresh or at least not too dry) to join the fray (please do):

Last edited by Teh El Macho; 4/17/2006 11:36am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 12:03pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    have you tried your invincible style against people from T3h $tr33t?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 12:06pm

Style: mantis kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to piratejon how long have you been doing chow gar

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 12:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the only style that even comes close to being effective against chow gar is Wing Chun. watch out for those wing chun guys.

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 12:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does hung gar have anti-grappling?
    Last edited by broken fingers; 4/17/2006 12:10pm at .

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 12:12pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing it for 24 years.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ad Hominen + red herring.

To ironmantis, how did you come up to the conclusion that your style is almost invincible? If you decide to answer, please include the following:

What do you mean by "invincible" or "almost invincible"?
    Under what conditions?
    Against what styles?
    Against what phases of combat (striking, clinching, ground, aerial cable-based acrobatics, chi blasts, etc.)
    Based on what evidence?

** NOTE: and by "evidence", I mean corroborated evidence such as video or properly documented fights. Tales from the master, or "I heard he said he witnessed such an such..." do not count.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast