Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 8:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a STAB workshop with its originator SBGI coach and director Karl Tanswell.

He's a really cool guy (for a hard limey thug) and very funny. This **** has been pressure tested out the wazoo, and we definitely played it with plenty of resistance. We also drilled some stuff about what to do if he switches hands.

BTW, Karl is not adverse to breaking the arm. Its just, as a BJJ guy, he knows it might not majically snap like a twig if you don't have the strength/leverage.

Important to realize that STAB is not for knife fighting, its for knife survival. Out there in the 'real world' a 'knife fight' is called an 'assasination'.

'Winning' is getting away with most of your blood still in your body.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 8:12pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta
    I did a STAB workshop with its originator SBGI coach and director Karl Tanswell.

He's a really cool guy (for a hard limey thug) and very funny. This **** has been pressure tested out the wazoo, and we definitely played it with plenty of resistance. We also drilled some stuff about what to do if he switches hands.

BTW, Karl is not adverse to breaking the arm. Its just, as a BJJ guy, he knows it might not majically snap like a twig if you don't have the strength/leverage.

Important to realize that STAB is not for knife fighting, its for knife survival. Out there in the 'real world' a 'knife fight' is called an 'assasination'.

'Winning' is getting away with most of your blood still in your body.
    Thanks for the information. It looks pressure tested from the video, but again we only have the video to work on. It certain doesn't look like fanasty karate bullshit.

Did you guys do anything if they had a second weapons The only thing that doesn't vive well with me is the "uber" focus one single limb.

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 8:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2nd knife? No but it was discussed a little.

What might be missing from the video is that, once you have the two-on-one control, you do EVERYTHING in your power to brutalize the mutherfucker: headbutt to the temple, knee the thigh and floating rib, and slam slam slam that elbow. Freek the **** out like theres's no tomorrow - cuz ther might not be!

You can probably contact Karl via the SBGi website.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 8:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2nd knife? No but it was discussed a little.

What might be missing from the video is that, once you have the two-on-one control, you do EVERYTHING in your power to brutalize the mutherfucker: headbutt to the temple, knee the thigh and floating rib, and slam slam slam that elbow. Freek the **** out like theres's no tomorrow - cuz ther might not be!

You can probably contact Karl via the SBGi website.

Their was a very little of that in the video. But that makes alot of sense. Don't give them a chance to draw. Let him focus on defending themselves, them may even drop the knife in their panic to defend.

Thanks alot for the info.

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 9:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, you got it. THe hold and body control is pretty destabilizing. You are moving them as much as possible, and generally trying to tear their clothes, hurt their feelings, insult their mother, etc etc.

If they go for another knife, switch hands, etc, you can shove them hard (preferably into oncoming traffic) and then run.

I doubt they will drop the knife unless you break the arm. My take on human nature is that they will clutch that shiv like its solid gold once the **** hits the fan. Which is part of why I have so little interest in standing wrist locks.

On thing I liked about the workshop was the way it began. After asking if anyone wanted to roll (only me, lowly white belt. I got subbed quick by a wierd lapel choke) Karl gave us big pieces of sidewalk chalk to use as knives and told us to go at our unarmed partner. After a few minutes, everyone was 'bleeding' chalk.

Moral: knife 'fights' (ie, assasination attempts) really suck.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 9:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, you got it. THe hold and body control is pretty destabilizing. You are moving them as much as possible, and generally trying to tear their clothes, hurt their feelings, insult their mother, etc etc.

If they go for another knife, switch hands, etc, you can shove them hard (preferably into oncoming traffic) and then run.

I doubt they will drop the knife unless you break the arm. My take on human nature is that they will clutch that shiv like its solid gold once the **** hits the fan. Which is part of why I have so little interest in standing wrist locks.

On thing I liked about the workshop was the way it began. After asking if anyone wanted to roll (only me, lowly white belt. I got subbed quick by a wierd lapel choke) Karl gave us big pieces of sidewalk chalk to use as knives and told us to go at our unarmed partner. After a few minutes, everyone was 'bleeding' chalk.

Moral: knife 'fights' (ie, assasination attempts) really suck.
    We do similiar drills. Instead of Chalk, we get powdered chalk, work up a solid sweat. Then wipe sweat on a wooden knife and dip it in the chalk.

Yes they suck period.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 10:32pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More realistic than 90% of the **** I have seen. Getting to that position might be a little difficult, and holding onto that arm might be sorta hard if you have been cut up a bit.

But I have never been much of an advocate of fighting with knives as I have been on the receiving end twice. So far I am 0-2 against people with stabbing weapons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 4:38am

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like what I have seen of STAB, but it's far from "unique". There are a few programs out there that teach essentially the same thing; two-on-ones to control the weapon arm.

I also like Jim Wagner's stuff too. He is the "Swat Guy" in Black Belt magazine.
    My work paid for me to go and being an "Escrima guy", thought I wouldn't learn much but I did. His stuff is even more simple than STAB.

Also like: Dimitri, Blauer & Burton Richardson's stuff for knife defense too.

All similar, all simple and not "technique" oriented.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 12:03pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    Yes a good break should and will disarm the blade. However, it looked like he was controlling the elbow against the body not snapping it.

As for "grabbing" the knife hand. It look like he just entering and securing the wrist. No Wrist No Attack. (Wondering why all this old Japanese Blade Art had wrist escapes? hmmmm....)
    Oh, I just assumed that you could kind of push the arm towards your ribs and kind of lean out with it and snap the elbow. It's kind of hard to expalin but it probably wouldn't give you enough leverage anyways. It would definitely be much easier to set up a break from there though.

But i'm confused as to what you mean by "he's just entering and securing the wrist". Doesn't that mean that while they were standing off or the attacker was stabbing, you'd have to grab his wrist and not the blade that is a couple inches away, moving at high speeds? If that's what you have to do in this attack, it just doesn't seem like it would be very easy, even with practice. Can anyone who trains alive like this tell us your experiences with gaining control of their arm?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 6:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle
    Oh, I just assumed that you could kind of push the arm towards your ribs and kind of lean out with it and snap the elbow. It's kind of hard to expalin but it probably wouldn't give you enough leverage anyways. It would definitely be much easier to set up a break from there though.

But i'm confused as to what you mean by "he's just entering and securing the wrist". Doesn't that mean that while they were standing off or the attacker was stabbing, you'd have to grab his wrist and not the blade that is a couple inches away, moving at high speeds? If that's what you have to do in this attack, it just doesn't seem like it would be very easy, even with practice. Can anyone who trains alive like this tell us your experiences with gaining control of their arm?
    It look from the video premptive. However, moving off line from an attack and snatching the wrist is hard, but not impossible. AKA you need training.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast