• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/27/2012 10:12am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Central Texas Combatives Training Group Style: AMOK!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, AMOK! has been held very closely as well. Unless you lived near an instructor/trainer, AMOK! was hard to study because there were (almost) no videos.

As I explained above, the Combatives Training videos don't really teach AMOK!, but what they do offer are some of the functional movements and tactics that have been developed over two decades of hard sparing and actual fighting across the globe. In this way one could think of them as "Powered by AMOK!" and be fully confident that the material has been adequately pressure tested under fully "alive" conditions.

The Combatives Training videos do stand alone however with their own functional training methodology known as "Practical Combatives". One has the flexibility to use the videos in one of three ways:

1) Train them as delivered.
    2) Incorporate the movements into your own training methodology.
    3) Train them using AMOK! methodology.

I know a lot of people who read this might ask, "why go to the trouble of developing a whole new methodology, why not just use the AMOK! methodology on these videos?" The answer is "Too":

AMOK! is "Too"
    -much hard sparring for many people.
    -hard to learn from video-only instruction.
    -difficult to find training partners willing to do the hard sparring.
    -violent to incorporate into most commercial schools due to liability considerations.

The Combatives Training videos are the answer to these limitations. They provide the proven AMOK! content without the roadblocks to full-blown AMOK! training.

-If you have a commercial school and want an effective knife defense program that fits into your business model: Combatives Training is for you.

-If you don't live near an AMOK! instructor/trainer but you want to start learning this superb material: Combatives Training is for you.

-If you have seen AMOK! at a seminar or other event and want something to help continue your study: Combatives Training is for you.

-If you like the system/style you currently train, but want to seamlessly integrate proven knife material: Combatives Training is for you.

-If you don't train anything right now, but want to train the most effective material you can via online instruction: Combatives Training is for you.

I know that sounds like a big infomercial, and I guess it is, but it's material I believe in and am very happy to be able to share it now in a format that is accessible to most people.

AMOK!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2012 12:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I really should have written "Basic AMOK! Technique".

It even occurred to me that this was a distinction, so I can only apologize for the lack of clarity.

The methodology is however, a "train the trainer" sort of thing, so saying the videos represent the basics is also correct on some level.

Also, the methodology is not restricted to AMOK! -- Tom credits the basis of the methodology to the 3DPP (3-dimensional performance pyramid) of Scott Sonnon (there is a $25 book/manual for sale on Scott's RMAX site.)

Steve and I are both big proponents of the methodology, and I have already drawn the strong analogy with the revolution of BJJ which was largely based on something similar, perhaps summarized as:

Oppositional, full speed, training against fully resisting partners on a regular, even daily, basis.

The videos are (so far) technique oriented.

--
    HerbM

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2012 2:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just added some free sample instruction videos to the site. Click the big red bar that says "sample lessons": Combatives Training

These are a really big deal for those of us who train AMOK!. They represent the first "authorized" instructional videos on the internet since AMOK! was started.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 6:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for folks in Australia looking for more knife training, Ray Floro (Fencing & Kali Ilustrisimo practitioner) teaches Floro Fighting Systems
    http://www.florofightingsystems.com/system.html

he is based out of Australia with instructors around the world (mostly Oz & the US)
    http://www.florofightingsystems.com/instructor.html

they spar & train with face masks & padded contact knives constructed out of pvc pipe, duct tape of various colors, and pipe insulation or pool noodles used for the padding.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 8:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Jim_Jude, have you ever trained AMOK! at a seminar or with a group? There are groups in Huntington Beach and Thousand Oaks if you haven't. If you like the type of sparring Ray Floro does I expect you will really like AMOK!.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/29/2012 10:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    @Jim_Jude, have you ever trained AMOK! at a seminar or with a group? There are groups in Huntington Beach and Thousand Oaks if you haven't. If you like the type of sparring Ray Floro does I expect you will really like AMOK!.
    Dave Gould lives down the road from me, I'd probably go train with him before I'd drive to Huntington Beach.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 8:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dave Gould doesn't teach AMOK!, although he did have an influence on its development.

AMOK! is quite different than any other knife system due to it's training methodology and is worth trying out if you haven't.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just added some free sample instruction videos to the site. Click the big red bar that says "sample lessons": Combatives Training
    I watched those sample videos on there. I liked them. He did a good job of explaining and then brought in the partner to demonstrate how to do the drills. Looked like some good instructional videos.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 5:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dave Gould doesn't teach AMOK!
    yeah i know

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2012 9:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I watched those sample videos on there. I liked them. He did a good job of explaining and then brought in the partner to demonstrate how to do the drills. Looked like some good instructional videos.
    Glad you liked them. The "KD15 Pummel Combination Knife Attackers" really shows a lot more than just what's in the title. Having trained that skill quite a bit I can tell you that the "pummeling" of knuckles against forearm bones gets your attention fast, and poor Sean who is on the receiving end in the video is just gritting his teeth and looking down by the end of it. On the HD version you can see the redness and swelling already starting...ow!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast