Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2006 11:20pm

Style: BKK karate, boxing, Amok

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

AMOK knife

Our style has been getting AMOK accreditation here in NSW Australia. I have really enjoyed the wake up to how different it is to learn to use a weapon properly. So much of the traditional knife defence stuff is so scarily inadequate, and ineffective.

It has brought a whole new dimension to the way I percieve hand to hand.

Well done Tom Sotis!

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/16/2006 11:25pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogers
    Our style has been getting AMOK accreditation here in NSW Australia. I have really enjoyed the wake up to how different it is to learn to use a weapon properly. So much of the traditional knife defence stuff is so scarily inadequate, and ineffective.

It has brought a whole new dimension to the way I percieve hand to hand.

Well done Tom Sotis!

I am not familiar with AMOK. How do you train / how is these knife defense better the the ones you previously learned. What style was your previous knife defenses from?

Is AMOK Knife Fighting like Kali (FMA) or a defense program like STAB.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2006 11:33pm

Style: BKK karate, boxing, Amok

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It focusses on keeping things really simple and tight. 9 basic cut/slashes and, as I know it at present, 3 basic defensive techniques. There is a website to give you more info http://www.knifefighting-fl.com/engindex.html

Knife fighting is anaerobic and really quick. It is quite useless trying to theoretically learn stuff without a live, resisting opponent. You can get pretty banged up at training! I guess I've found the key is to keep compact and balanced. Never over-extend as the counter might just be better than your attack. KISS!

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 12:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogers
    It focusses on keeping things really simple and tight. 9 basic cut/slashes and, as I know it at present, 3 basic defensive techniques. There is a website to give you more info http://www.knifefighting-fl.com/engindex.html

Knife fighting is anaerobic and really quick. It is quite useless trying to theoretically learn stuff without a live, resisting opponent. You can get pretty banged up at training! I guess I've found the key is to keep compact and balanced. Never over-extend as the counter might just be better than your attack. KISS!

From the site it looks like standard FMA (Flipino Martial Arts). 9 cuts (Neck, lower stomach, inner legs, etc.) and Open Hand Parries.

One question: How do you block the incoming blade?
    Last edited by Plasma; 4/17/2006 12:06am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 5:39pm

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would bet it's the same as other styles of FMA. Wait till the last second, step forward and out of the way at about a 45 degree angle, strike the hand, check the strike, and then strike the opponent.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 8:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In other words, nothing special. The same basic FMA knife fighting found anywhere, but this douche this is revolutionary. Thats what I thought.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 10:01pm

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, who knows. He still hasn't answered. I'm just guessing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 11:40am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

AMOK

Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    In other words, nothing special. The same basic FMA knife fighting found anywhere, but this douche this is revolutionary. Thats what I thought.
    My thoughts exactly. no matter the number of angels/strikes it is all the same basic stuff. AMOK is an interesting work considering it is indonese in origin. From Java if I am not mistaken, means to run wild. I also think there are some local gods of a similar name who are warriors..........

PT

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had no direct training with the AMOK group, however, both Chad Getz (of Full Contact Hawaii) and Dogzilla (head of the Hawaii Dog Brothers clan) speak very highly of their experiences with the AMOK group, and I trust their opinions. From what I understand, the strength of the AMOK group lies not in the extensive amount of techniques, but their absolute proficiency with the basics...and continual drilling/sparring/fighting against non-compliant training partners. Something akin to the limited, but technically sound, tools of Muay Thai.

Again, no direct experience, just what people I trust completely have said.

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 1:46pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a seminar with Tom Sotis of AMOK once, he seemed to focus on learning the most in the least amount of time. IE: if you have a situation that comes up 80% of the time, learn to deal with that type of teqnique first. I guess every amok group probably has thier own philosophies and whatnot, I'm not familiar with thier organization that much.

What I did take was very informative and helpful but it was presented as an intro and not as a "train with me and you will be a knifer in 3 hours" kind of crap.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast