Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 3:33am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yush
    Without derailing this much, can I ask is it the majority of states in the U.S where you can legally have a concealed weapon??

As far as I know, in all of Australia it's illegal.

The other thing is, don't some of you feel that perhaps you are inviting trouble into your life by cruising around with a gun? Wouldn't just avoiding trouble area's etc be wiser?
    I'm not an expert, so you can expect me to be corrected quickly by people that know more than I do, but as far as I know, it's complicated.

The thing is, it's up to the individual state. Alaska and Vermont are Unrestricted, meaning anyone can carry concealed.

Most states are "Shall Issue," which means that the state legislature comes up with a set of standards, and if you pass those standards, you are allowed to carry.

California, Hawaii, New York, Maryland, Iowa (wtf), Maine, Rhode Island, New Jersey, and Delaware are "May Issue." This means that your right to carry is dependent upon a lot more things than just passing some basic standards in "Shall Issue" states. Some of these states require you to have a specific reason for carrying, while I believe others (or maybe all) leave it up to the county sheriff. If the Sheriff is an asshole or doesn't like you, no CCW for you.

Here's a map of the U.S., with states colored by CCW law:

http://www.moccw.org/map.html

Hope I didn't **** that up too much, guys.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

You secure that **** Hudson!!

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 7:11am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, that really is some crazy ****.

I guess this stems from your right to bear arms in the constitution?
    Wheels within wheels in a spiral array...

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 7:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, that really is some crazy ****.

I guess this stems from your right to bear arms in the constitution?
    Indeed. The interpretation of what arms we can bear and where we can bear them is under constant pressure from both sides.

Some citizens would probably be firing depleted Uranium shells at their private targeting ranges if they were allowed, while others are a little more moderate. Still others thing guns are evil and should be banned from existence.

I'm kind of riding the fence on this one. I understand the spirit of the second amendment and I certainly think heavy weaponry is neat, but I question whether such an amendment is still relevant in a society where our government weilds heavy armored divisions, unrivalled air and marine presence, truly massive artillery capabilities, and nuclear weapons.

While it would be nice if our government would loosen up on the weapons restrictions it currently has, I can understand the headache of implementation. Modern full auto (And full auto weapons in general) are a pretty touchy subject up here. As AnnaTrocity has shown, it's possible to own one that existed before the Ban, but it's not easy, and there are lots of people that would love to take that gun away from her.

As far as CCW goes, all this "May Issue" and "No Issue" (my name for the "right denied" states) BS is ridiculous. I think that all states should be "Shall Issue." There should be enough regulation to make sure that the people who wish to carry concealed know what the **** they are doing and will be carrying responsibly, but not so much that it prevents a citizen in good standing with the law from defending himself when he has to. I'm looking at you especially, "No Issue" states.
    Last edited by Cassius; 4/20/2006 8:00am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 8:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but I question whether such an amendment is still relevant in a society where our government weilds heavy armored divisions, unrivalled air and marine presence, truly massive artillery capabilities, and nuclear weapons.
    Again, governments refrain from wholesale slaughter for a variety of reasons. Yes, they could nuke every last one of us. But then there's the problem of finding people to govern or people who'd cooperate after they nuked their friends and families. Then who's there to tax and live off?

Small arms are still neccesary for selective killing. They still come in handy for resistance from same.

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 8:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar

Again, governments refrain from wholesale slaughter for a variety of reasons. Yes, they could nuke every last one of us. But then there's the problem of finding people to govern or people who'd cooperate after they nuked their friends and families. Then who's there to tax and live off?

Small arms are still neccesary for selective killing. They still come in handy for resistance from same.
    Yeah, I suppose you are correct. I've been reading John Adams' biography by David McCullough as of late and had been mulling over whether the 2nd amendment had any purpose other than a symbolic one anymore, and had not arrived at that conclusion. Thanks for pointing out the obvious, since I apparently missed it.

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 10:20pm

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    I have a 18 month old son that I am raising in Austin. I am therefore curious if he wants to CCW because of bad experiences here in Austin. As a parent I am interested in learning all I can about my hometown, including the unsavory.

Do not have a great Kenpo day

John

edit: I am NOT curious because I have an objection to people walking around armed. Armed people are fine by me as long as they're reasonably sane.
    Well, why not just come out and say what you have to say in the first place when you asked the original question?

I'm having a wonderful Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 10:23pm

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The other thing is, don't some of you feel that perhaps you are inviting trouble into your life by cruising around with a gun? Wouldn't just avoiding trouble area's etc be wiser?

I'm hoping this is a rhetorical question, if not, good luck in life.

I would ask the same question of why you study martial arts, you could just stay home and have no contact with people and you wouldn't need MA's either.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

You secure that **** Hudson!!

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 12:33am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think there is a fair difference between learning how to defend against an attack with your body and walking around with a gun or a knife to defend against an attack.

I don't believe in carrying around guns or knives - not just because it's illegal over here but just in principle. But that doesn't mean I don't own any knives or never shot a gun. In fact, I had a great time at a firing range a few years ago.

I just think that it is pretty scary that someone who could get a license for carrying a concealed gun could be drunk one night, get into an argument and shoot someone dead for example.

Me, i'm having an awesome Wing Chun day...Siu Lim Tau for the win!
    Wheels within wheels in a spiral array...

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 12:38am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The kind of people that go through the trouble of getting a Concealed carry permit arent really the kind of people that get drunk and shoot people.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 12:43am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The laws are more restrictive than that. There are several places where you're NOT allowed to carry a firearm, airports, bars, Government Buildings, etc.

Most people who carry concealed are extremely responsible citizens, and getting a permit requires you get fingerprinted and undergo a backround check. It's not quite how you seem to percieve.

I used to carry when I lived in a bad neighboorhood. Now that I live in sunny, gay-free Kansas I don't have to, mostly because I know that if I DO manage to get mugged, I won't have to pull the trigger myself, just duck.

Love those rednecks.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast