4/15/2006 1:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Starting Over... Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    um....isn't that a lot of ammo?
    Just seems.... a little bit much......

The House (3 people, 2 gun owners) currently has 2 SKS's: 1 russian paratrooper model (short, woodstock) and 1 big ass yugoslav model that could also be used to club baby seals. We are also about to purchase an RPK with 1 one of thoose varible tension spring drum mags. We really dont feel comfortable going under 1000 rounds of 7.62.

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 2:02pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about mail order ammunition? Have the prices jumped on line?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 2:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Between me (and my wife bumming rounds), 1,000 rounds of .45 ALONE is like brita water. It's always nearly gone, and I keep forgetting to refill. That's my personal stuff. I get to shoot a bit more with work for free.

1,000 of .308 probably lasts me a year. Same with 7.62x39.

And mail order or reloading is the only way to go. Chumps buy from stores (unless it's shotgun or .22).

www.natchezss.com
    www.sportsmansguide.com

I think I heard something, though, about many manufacturers just saying "**** it" regarding 7.62 due to the popularity and cheapness of Wolf with whom they don't want to bother to compete.
    Last edited by Nid; 4/15/2006 2:19pm at .

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 2:37pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This isn't the first time I've heard people say this about 7.62x39.

Sin Dios! Sin amos!

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 4:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    What about mail order ammunition? Have the prices jumped on line?

Mail order prices have gone up 25%

$125 for a thousand.

beats the jump from $3 to $14 for 20 rounds retail. but still. it makes me suspicisous and ammo insecure.

Sin Dios! Sin amos!

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 4:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar

And mail order or reloading is the only way to go. Chumps buy from stores (unless it's shotgun or .22).

www.natchezss.com
    www.sportsmansguide.com
    Agreed. But when you go out in a group everybody gets theri own so you wind up doing the retail thing on the way to the range because I'm not going into the space in my house labled "Break in case of Apocolypse". I rotate 1000 purchases through my 1000 round strategic reserve so its always less than 1 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    I think I heard something, though, about many manufacturers just saying "**** it" regarding 7.62 due to the popularity and cheapness of Wolf with whom they don't want to bother to compete.
    Yeah but its the Wolf and Monarch stuff that I cant get my hands on. And the Wolf and Monarch people are the ones rumored to be getting swallowed by remmington or winchester.

Sin Dios! Sin amos!

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 4:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    This isn't the first time I've heard people say this about 7.62x39.

Tell me more. I just want to know whether I'm going to

a) buy a bunch and sit on them

b) form a cooperative with a bunch of folks and reload.

c) Chill out and wait till stuff stabelizes in a couple of months.

If it helps anybody I've noticed that the price on 7.62 X 39 firearms has dropped. Yugo and Nornico SKS have gone down to $100 retail in the expensive gun shop here. I'm wondering if more are shipping or are people/small stockpilers dumping because of real or percieved ammo supply problems.

Keep in mind I'd like information on both "t3h r34l d34l" and what the domminant perception/word on the str33t is. Both are real and meaningful when it comes to what the price is likely to be down the line.

Thanks in Advance,
    Antifa

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 4:45pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few things from the blogoverspherewhatever:

---

Worldwide 7.62x39 Ammo Shortage??

There appears to have been a worldwide shortage of 7.62x39 ammo. Used in both the SKS and the AK-47, it is the world's most popular assault rifle cartridge. Looks like further supplies are just starting to trickle back in, although some of the big ammo wholesalers are still sold out.

Reasons for the shortage are unknown at this time. From looking around the reasons sound pretty varied and range from the Iraq War to bad weather in central Europe to high steel/fuel costs (this forum is a good summary). Either way it's rather unusual for most of the industry to sell out of one of the worlds most popular rounds. Kinda interesting.

Of course this prompted a inventory of my ammo cache. Less than a thousand rounds? Damn, time for a re-order. That won't last out the year.

UPDATE : Actually it appears as if the shortage is still ongoing. Wholesalers are still sold out, just not advertising the fact that they are sold out.

UPDATE : It appears the reason for the shortage is the war and increased training. However, the manufacturers are aware of the problem and attempting to increase production. Hopefully the market will once again have lots of ammo for us.

----

Tuesday March 21, 2006
    Ammo Shortage Update
    You may remember when I stumbled into the U.S. ammunition shortage here in the homeland a couple of weeks ago, that I was only having problems finding 7.62X39 ammo for my coyote gun here at the ranch. Kind of odd, I thought at the time. Then last week, tentative purchases of both 7.62X39 and 9 MM Luger were canceled because my source was really out of stock, but had taken my order, leaving me with the impression the goods would be shipped. They weren't - because they didn't have any - so I got a refund. This morning, I've got to head in to town, and so I will be trying to find some ammo to round out our stores.

While I'm out, though, I may look at some weapons from previous times. A good hunting bow and a cross bow or two come to mind. It's infinitely easier to make arrows from locally available materials than try to cobble up our own black powder should the grid shut down at some point in the fuzzy future. Still, such arms can take out a coyote, deer should meat food become short in supply, and they have the bonus of being silent.
    ---
    Over at the www.nra.,org web site, I put in the term "ammunition" and was rewarded with results of pistol matches and such, but when put in the search term "shortage" and hit "Go" what I received was a message informing me that "An error occurred during your search. Please try again later." I'm surely doing something wrong. I will try to get some comment from their PR office later today.
    ---
    The current shortage of ammunition may be traced to several stories: One is the report in Defense Industry Daily from September of 2005 which seemed to deal with .50 caliber. No mention of my 7.62 issue. the anecdotal posts around the web, such as this one, seem to mostly blame the War in Iraq.
    ---
    Regardless of the cause - the breakdown of the "Just in Time" manufacturing model that we covered for subscribers in a recent issue of Peoplenomics.com, I have continued to receive emails on an almost daily basis on the subject. This one is typical:
    "I read your column daily...although I haven't been in a 'place' where I could afford to subscribe, but that will be changing here in the very near future. However, the reason for this email is to say - I read what you write - and part of me is a full believer, and part of me wants 'proof'. Well, today i got my proof.
    For the past two weeks on your siteI have been reading about the shortage of ammo - so I went to my local gun shop to purchase some ammo for the items I own. First, let's just say the shelves looked empty - as if there had been a huge discount on every item in the store and the shelves had not been replenished. I was looking for 9mm and SW 40. What was left of it was behind the counter and even then, limited in quantities.
    The salesperson was complaining about how they cannot get any type of ammo and are getting a little concerned about the shop staying open. Plenty of guns, but no ammo. They are scratching their heads there as to why they can't get anything.
    This isn't a small store - it is a store with a 12 lane indoor shooting range.
    So this mystery continues. Where is all the ammo? I hate to think about some paranoid conspiracy theory whereby the gvt has bought up all the ammo so the civilians have no way of defending themselves. But, there doesn't seem to be any other thought."
    Another reader writes in:
    "called a couple of Houston ammo sources. I didn't ask about the MIB, but my regular bulk purchase spot - **** ****, (a/c).723.8583, said:
    7.62 x 39 - "nope, all out, whole country is dry" .308 "not a problem, but when its gone, may not get more for a while" (asked for case of 500) 9mm ball "got nothing else, but running out"
    ******** ******* on 7.62x39 (a/c) 461.1844) - "Only got a few boxes and we are waiting on trucks to bring more in." When asked if I could get a thousand rounds - nope, distributor is all out and we have no idea when we can get that much." On .308 ball he said he's only got few boxes left. he said that "he didn't know why supplies were so low" . ..and he seem kind of surprised looking at what ever computer screen he was looking at because he mentioned that there was no usual date filled in for the next shipment.
    There you go George. That's some intel from Houston's two largest ammo dealers . . . sounds like bullets may becoming more valuable than gold . . ."
    Not to put a conspiratorial bent on things, but the Second Amendment (Right to Bear Arms, if you're still groggy from last night) doesn't mean much if you don't have any ammo. Part of me is extremely concerned and I do not want any US Serviceperson to ever worry about ammo supplies. But the flip-side concerns go to planning by the Rummy Boyz and what about State's ability to raise a militia (now that the National Guard is largely out of the country) should a bunch of OTM's have snuck in through our still porous borders, kept that way by what I'd argue are treasonous money grubbing politicians. Best money can buy...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 6:24pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa
    The House (3 people, 2 gun owners) currently has 2 SKS's: 1 russian paratrooper model (short, woodstock) and 1 big ass yugoslav model that could also be used to club baby seals. We are also about to purchase an RPK with 1 one of thoose varible tension spring drum mags. We really dont feel comfortable going under 1000 rounds of 7.62.
    I'm vegan and so if I were near any baby seals I would be clubbing/shooting the baby seal clubbers. Just FYI.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Firearms, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I said to my friends, "I'm going clubbin!"
    They asked me, "baby seals!?"
    I then told them, "HELL YEAH!, wanna come?"
    Then we beat us some fuckin baby seals with our m4s

Back on topic,

I've been wondering why some 7.62x39 rifles have been selling for cheap recently
    "We spoke to them in the only language they understood: the machine gun"
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast