T-R-A-C-H-E-A
    @ Ridder: trachea
    @ jnp: trachea
    @ bodar: trachea
    @ crowey: trachea
    @ JohnnyCache : trachea
    Trachea Trachea Treachea Trechea

Got it....

Has any one ever been taught a 'judo cop' in a judo class?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 3:24pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shuto Uchi is the attack.
    Shuto Uke is the parry using the same part of the hand.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 3:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    well, lots of places train just enough striking to do self defense techniques and call that "atemi-waza" - is there some more traditional atemi-waza you're refering too?

Also:

Trachia.
    Never done it, but I think there's some kind of 'Atemi' kata on the kodokan syllabus which I've heard judo blackbelts talking about learning to pass some high level grading and then ignoring and forgetting once it's over. Never heard a judo person claim it would be of any use in a competitive environment.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 5:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz
    I've seen King's 1st 3 videos and I don't recall seeing this strike. Any idea which one it was on? Perhaps on one of his newer ones?

Mark Hatmaker in his book on NHB striking advocates striking to the jaw when possible, so it can't be all bad. His methods of choice are straight up boxing and the C hand strike.

So I think we can all agree that striking in the trachea is a good way to stop someone in their tracks, no matter the method. With a tucked chin it's rather difficult to hit though. I suppose a narrower striking surface like a knife/ridgehand, C hand, or leopard fist would be a easier way to reach the neck, but most of those are awkward to train (would you want to get hit in the neck training?) and some of which put your hand in danger should you hit any hard surfaces.

A little bit of craptacular shotokan and kung fu exposure can teach you a crapload of ways to attack the neck.
    -I don't own it, I watched it at a friends house. IIRC it was an edited seminar DVD.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 5:26pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no "judo chop." Some of the old-ass ineffective judo atemi waza (Basically untested crap borrowed from traditional jujitsu ryu) Is used to set up throws in various kata, but it is not a part of any serious judo curriculum. I have been in, competed with, and visited dozens of judo clubs and schools, and 0.00% of them embraced, taught, or endorsed anything that even resembled striking.

Yes, yes, you purists...it's in the old textbooks, and some old fart out there may show it to his senior students every once and a while, but he's an idiot. There is no meaningful or effective striking techniques in any judo program. It has fallen out of the curriculum because it sucks. Let it die.

Period.

End of story.

Stop talking now.

Thread over.

Bye.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 9:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    There is no "judo chop." Some of the old-ass ineffective judo atemi waza (Basically untested crap borrowed from traditional jujitsu ryu) Is used to set up throws in various kata, but it is not a part of any serious judo curriculum. I have been in, competed with, and visited dozens of judo clubs and schools, and 0.00% of them embraced, taught, or endorsed anything that even resembled striking.

Yes, yes, you purists...it's in the old textbooks, and some old fart out there may show it to his senior students every once and a while, but he's an idiot. There is no meaningful or effective striking techniques in any judo program. It has fallen out of the curriculum because it sucks. Let it die.

Period.

End of story.

Stop talking now.

Thread over.

Bye.
    -It is still a part of ALL Kodokan Judo curriculum.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 9:30pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am currently involved with a Kodokan school in Japan and the only striking that I see is the stuff in Nage no Kata. Only to set up the kata, never any else. Never............

I think its fair to say that it may be in a book, but it is not preserved except for its place in the Kata.

Posted On:
    4/16/2006 1:57am

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remeber slightly reading it in a Bruce Tenger Book at my JC's library. I'll see if i can get it when spring break is over... Or someon on hear probably hjas it like Omega.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/16/2006 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chop in the neck? What a load of crap, thats what happens when grapplers try to invent striking moves lol
    I REALLY wish I could prove this to you in person.

Hitting someone on the side of the neck will KO most ppl, regardless of how tough they are. Its physiology. Don't believe me? Try it then.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2006 4:25pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    Hitting someone on the side of the neck will KO most ppl, regardless of how tough they are. Its physiology. Don't believe me? Try it then.
    What exactly causes a person to be KO'ed from a strike to the side of the neck? Physiologically speaking, of course.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast