Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 8:36pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, you caught me. Those cane swords are one of the few examples of japanese swordsmithing I like.

But still, the balance and the guard of the arming sword is more of my liking. Also, those things can also cut really well.

Yeah, i'm biased towards european weaponry, so what?

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    4/16/2006 1:30am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    Spears are better than swords.

begin fifty page discussion

I have one of those too.

Oh, and a Japanese sword is supposed to be tip-heavy. The edge geometry only works as an effective cutter with the mass placed as such. It's all about physics and draw cuts.
    --
    L.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2006 9:30am

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    Acutally that would hinder the technique, because if you thurst your sword handle (tsuka) foward the fact your saya is tied you to obi can prevent you from thrusting far enough. Especailly if your sword is still locked in the saya.
    Actually you have about 2.5 feet of play, with my old iaito, more than enough to actually fo the technique.

this is what ganmen ate looks like.

As you can see you can pull the saya easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    When I going to draw your sword, I am going for you sword I don't give a rats ass about your saya, Hence tieing it into your obi helps me (especially which the initial unlocking of the sword).
    actually, it aides in the fact that you are trying to draw my sword, at the same time you push your saya forwards negating the draw. this is from a seated position.

http://www.geocities.com/nobaradojo/Deel1.htm

check out tsuka ate there

My own experience is Muso Jidiken Eishin Ryu and Omori ryu. You have to learn the seitei sets for kyu rankings but after that its all koryu.
    Last edited by hl1978; 4/16/2006 9:34am at .

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/16/2006 9:38am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    Actually you have about 2.5 feet of play, with my old iaito, more than enough to actually fo the technique.

this is what ganmen ate looks like.

As you can see you can pull the saya easily enough.

actually, it aides in the fact that you are trying to draw my sword, at the same time you push your saya forwards negating the draw. this is from a seated position.

http://www.geocities.com/nobaradojo/Deel1.htm

check out tsuka ate there

My own experience is Muso Jidiken Eishin Ryu and Omori ryu. You have to learn the seitei sets for kyu rankings but after that its all koryu.
    Ok. Its a lose tie, that makes sense. I was picturing the Aikido-ka that tie their saya tightly against thier obi/Hakama.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 11:02am

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In MJER Yamauchi-ha, we don't tie the sageo to the himo at all. We leave it just draped over the back of the saya. There are specific techniques that Sekiguchi sensei does that utilize the saya and sageo. They are henka or kai waza to the standard iaido.

Also, the preferred sword blade length in Yamauchi-ha is 2 shaku 7 sun 8 bu or 33.2 inches with a 12 inch tsuka. A lot of the techniques rely on the longer tsuka and the longer blade length makes you have to do your iai correctly or you wind up hurting yourself.

Not everyone has these dimensions, but I am working on getting them eventually. It is a custom order and it drives the price up considerably.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 2:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Western Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi guys, just to let you know the naginata is a pole arm weapon, not a sword. Therefore a slightly different skill set. But like any hand held weapon, apart from guns, there are a set of basic principles you can use to get a feel for any weapon. After that it's a matter of looking at how the weapon is constructed and developing skills to play to that weapons strenghth.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 2:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by McBane
    Hi guys, just to let you know the naginata is a pole arm weapon, not a sword. Therefore a slightly different skill set. But like any hand held weapon, apart from guns, there are a set of basic principles you can use to get a feel for any weapon. After that it's a matter of looking at how the weapon is constructed and developing skills to play to that weapons strenghth.
    Thanks for stating the obvious.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 3:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Western Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well it seemed to need saying, didn't realise the statement was in jest.

Also Eastern Martial arts dosn't seem to utilise the range of weapons that Western does, and the basic principles are different. Espcially if you compare Japanese swordsmanship to Western medieval. No better or worse, just different.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 3:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by McBane
    Well it seemed to need saying, didn't realise the statement was in jest.

Also Eastern Martial arts dosn't seem to utilise the range of weapons that Western does, and the basic principles are different. Espcially if you compare Japanese swordsmanship to Western medieval. No better or worse, just different.
    So you propose that Western MA uses more weapons then Eastern MA. What you evidence to back that up?

I have entire books on Japanese Weapons (not including Chinese, Okinawian, Flipino, Indian).

Japanese Weapons constisted of Blades (from 1 foot to 8 to 9 feet long), throwing weapons (from knifes, spike and stars), Chain weapons (from 3 foot chains with weights, to chain connected to blades) Hand Held Weapons (from Brass Knuckle, to spiked rings). Staff weapons (1' to 7'), pole arms(spear, naginata) and that is just the basics. Then doesn't included some weapons from the specific Japanese Ryu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 4:19pm

Style: Jujutsu, freestyle Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, those Japanese weapons have NOTHING in common with Western types. Why, I don't see the slightest bit of resemblance between a naginata and a bill or halberd. Nope, nothing in common with use or appearance.

Same thing with the swords. After all, a curved Eastern sword like the katana or dao CUTS, but a falchion or saber can only CHOP or HACK.

Lance and yari? That's right, no similarities. And a juji-yari is nothing like a ranseur in design or purpose.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast