Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 12:35pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahoushi
    I use my sageo to tie up the sleeves of my kimono, not to tie it to my hakama.

How it suppose to be. If your sword has to be tied to your obi, then your obi isn't tight enough.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats a nice sword, how much did it cost ya?

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 2:58pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The base model will run you $750 from Liveblade. I picked this one up on SFI's classifieds for around $400, and then spent another $400 in improvements to get the koshirae (the fittings) changed around to my liking.
    --
    L.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 5:49pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    How it suppose to be. If your sword has to be tied to your obi, then your obi isn't tight enough.
    Actually it depends on the form you are doing, for example in the 8th seitei kata you strike with the sword still in the saya, that is to say you strike with the bottom of the tsuka (handle) , and the sageo is helpful in keeping the saya within the obi, particually if you have a sword that isn't long enough for your body.

Same deal if someone tries to pull the entire sword out. Again this is another iaido form.

Further if your obi is too tight it it is harder to draw properly. That is to say, if the obi is too tight and you pull the saya back with your left hand, and the belt is too tight you have to "cheat" and bend over a bit to draw it. This is a slower draw.

If all you are doing is test cutting, or doing forms with the sword out of the saya it doesnt really matter if you have sageo tied to the saya or not.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 6:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    Actually it depends on the form you are doing, for example in the 8th seitei kata you strike with the sword still in the saya, that is to say you strike with the bottom of the tsuka (handle) , and the sageo is helpful in keeping the saya within the obi, particually if you have a sword that isn't long enough for your body.
    Acutally that would hinder the technique, because if you thurst your sword handle (tsuka) foward the fact your saya is tied you to obi can prevent you from thrusting far enough. Especailly if your sword is still locked in the saya.

Same deal if someone tries to pull the entire sword out. Again this is another iaido form.
    When I going to draw your sword, I am going for you sword I don't give a rats ass about your saya, Hence tieing it into your obi helps me (especially which the initial unlocking of the sword).

Further if your obi is too tight it it is harder to draw properly. That is to say, if the obi is too tight and you pull the saya back with your left hand, and the belt is too tight you have to "cheat" and bend over a bit to draw it. This is a slower draw.
    Its called learning to dress yourself. You wouldn't go out with a pistol where the holster is too tight the draw.

If all you are doing is test cutting, or doing forms with the sword out of the saya it doesnt really matter if you have sageo tied to the saya or not.
    My expirence is not with mordern Iaido but from classical Battojutsu as part of my Kenjutsu training. Just so you know where I am coming from.
    Last edited by Plasma; 4/15/2006 6:04pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 7:12pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I don't like japanese swords at all. The balancing point is way too far from the guard to make it a flexible weapon. It's more like a glorified (two handed) saber.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 7:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mundane
    Personally I don't like japanese swords at all. The balancing point is way too far from the guard to make it a flexible weapon. It's more like a glorified (two handed) saber.

Its basically a 3 foot razor, that why I like them.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 7:47pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spears are better than swords.

begin fifty page discussion

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 8:06pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the ****, you're an archer, go shoot some arrows or something

By the the way, archery is for girls :gay:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 8:15pm

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Both vaciacraft hand forged carbon spring steel. Nothing better under 300 dollars, IMO.

The top is a 'french arming sword', 34 inch blade. Has a "cleaving edge" .. basically more intended to crush body armor (yay for blunt trauma) with the added touch of cutting through flesh as an afterthought.

The bottom is a zatoichi, 28 (hmm.. maybe not, might be 34 like the other one) inch blade. This featherweight is ridiculously sharp.
    Last edited by saturnjunkie; 4/15/2006 8:20pm at .
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast