Safe For Work

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 5:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    Wait, Isn't magazine the correct term anyway?

I recall getting corrected by one of the bullie-gunners. I forget who.

disclaimer: I don't own any guns. I just think they're neat-o.
    That's what I hear all the time too. I'm just saying, that just because I don't say "clip", doesn't mean I won't shoot my hand off trying to figure out how to shoot something. I trust more experienced shooters, rather than all the information that I've gathered during my own research (I've always been fascinated by guns, and I did a lot of research for some freelance stuff I had to do).
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 10:13pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I call them, the thingys I put my bullets in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 10:15pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong
    LOL, I don't know if I'm ready to start carrying a firearm. I just want to hit something that I intend to hit. And hit it good enough to make it stop.

Yeah, shame about the weather. At least I got to shoot something, though. I mean I can go shooting anytime here in Vegas, but I wanted to get together with a fellow Bullshidoka and do some shooting (or sparring...or at the very least eating).
    Really a shame. I had like 6 pistols and 2 rifles packed. Even brought the FiveSeven to test out at 100 yds. :(

Good news, I got to launch yesterday, and can say that I am a happy pig. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 10:41pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guns are awesome.

Spatch said she wants to start getting into guns soon, which is funny because when we first met she thought i was a crazy redneck for having guns.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    4/14/2006 10:28am

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anthony,
    Congrats on the product launch. When you make it down to Sin City, you have to let me know so we can hit one of the ranges here (although we won't have your awesome arsenal to test out, though).

Kat,
    Now she thinks you're a crazy redneck with guns and a love of full contact fighting, right? :p Did you show her the Uzi right away, or did you work up to that one? And yes, I'm learning that guns are awesome.

I'll probably do some shooting in the next few days, because I want to try out a 9mm and a shotgun.

I was too lazy to take a pic of my awful target, but I'll get that up soon so you guys can see my rather large grouping from my flinchy girl-like (no offense Kat) shooting style. The only thing missing was the frightened shrieking (I was able to keep that in check).
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    4/14/2006 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the deal on magazines and clips:

Jaguar is right about magazines. He knows this. He's saying that he could pretend to know all about shooting because he could be pedantic and show off his knowledge of the terminology (like I do) but he prefers to get solid advice on shooting better.
    He's referring to wannabes who read a book, find out that the correct term is "magazine," and then go out and correct some old-timer because he talks about having a problem with the "clip" for his 1911--which he's been shooting since 1956, on his way to his IPSC Grand Master rating.

Technically, a magazine holds ammunition, either inside or outside the gun, while a clip holds the ammunition in such a way as to make it easier to load that ammunition quickly into the magazine. The example most people think of is "stripper clips." The magazine on, say, an Enfield can be reloaded without removing it from the gun (at least on certain models) by taking one of your pre-loaded stripper clips out of your pocket and stripping the rounds off it into the magazine.

Some weapons actually do use clips in the weapon--the M1 Garand is one. To load an M1, you put 8 rounds of 30-06 in an "en bloc" clip and slap that into the top of the rifle. When you fire the 8th round, the rifle will shoot that clip right out the top of the action and you'll be ready to slap another one in. You can still buy military surplus 30-06 ball ammo that comes packed in en bloc clips--sometimes loaded onto bandoliers!
    If you noticed the loud "PING" noise just before a soldier had to reload in Saving Private Ryan, that was the en bloc clip ejecting.

Some revolvers use clips, too, to hold ammunition intended for semi-autos in the cylinder. You can get revolvers that shoot calibers like 9mm, .45 acp, and 10mm, but these rounds don't have projecting rims at the base to hold them in place in the cylinder chambers. So you clip them into "moon clips" (round) or "half moon clips" (semi-circles, two to a full load) and put all the rounds into the cylinder at once. It's like using a speed loader, but you leave it in the gun. Competitive shooters often prefer these over "normal" revolvers because the moon clips allow you to load almost as fast as slapping a magazine into a semi-auto.
    The brass stays in the clip when you eject it, too, which makes it a lot easier to pick it up. ;)

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    4/14/2006 2:34pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong

Kat,
    Now she thinks you're a crazy redneck with guns and a love of full contact fighting, right? :p Did you show her the Uzi right away, or did you work up to that one? And yes, I'm learning that guns are awesome.
    Yeh, but now that she's a redneck that likes guns and fighting it's all good ;) I actually didnt have my uzi yet when she first came down so I got her started on my AR15. The black rifle experiance always get's em hooked anyways ;)

Congrats on your new addiction, try not to spend to much money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2006 11:18pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After reading all of the posts on guns in this forum, i've really been wanting to shoot. I want to go to a range soon, but I don't think a 17 year old can shoot without a permit so we'll see how that works out. In the meantime, what are some good books/sites to learn about guns? I thought i'd start by learning anatomy of guns, maintenance and all of that stuff before learning how to shoot, but i'm also trying to pick up basic stances and terminology at the moment. I was never very interested in guns until I started trying to draw them because they looked cool and am now really wanting to shoot things. Thus, I am pretty clueless about guns so any pointers are appreciated. Not to hijack the thread...

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    4/14/2006 11:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Wisconsin, you should be fine. You would not legally be able to purchase a firearm at 17 years of age from an FFL (basically, a gun shop) but possession and even ownership are different.
    Wisconsin doesn't have a "permit" for possession or ownership as far as I know, although Illinois does. I'm going to suggest at this point that you check out www.thehighroad.org and head straight to the Legal/Political Forum. Look for member "Monkeyleg." Dick is the head of the most influential organization of gun owners working for concealed carry in Wisconsin, and he's about this close (--><--) to getting it done. He knows Wisconsin law in and out, and anything he can't tell you, he can find out. Remember that THR is not Bullshido; no cussing, no personal attacks, no trolling.

The smart thing is to start by taking an NRA Basic Pistol course. This means a qualified instructor (certified by the NRA) will guide you through different types of handguns, care and cleaning, stance, grip, use of sights, loading and unloading, and most of all, SAFETY. You won't leave these classes a gunfighter, but you will be safe and understand what your gun can and cannot do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2006 11:59pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the very informative and helpful post. I'll check out that site a little more tomorrow as it's getting late today. If there's a petition to sign for conceal and carry in Wisconsin, i'd be happy to help with that as well. Good news on his constructive battle for CCW. Thanks again.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast