233363 Bullies, 3768 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 31
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Jaguar Wong is offline
    Jaguar Wong's Avatar

    Safe For Work

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,456

    Posted On:
    4/13/2006 2:10pm

    supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Went and got myself hooked on shootin'

    I spent a week in Florida and while I was there decided to take some of my vacation time to finally do some shooting to see what all the fuss is about. I had planned on visiting Anthony and hitting the range (he had a nice outdoor range picked out so we could do some rifle shooting, which I was really excited about), but the weather (and his busy schedule, of course...Not like he was on vacation as well ;) ) kept us from doing that.

    So my wife's uncle took me to an indoor range to fire a few of his pistols. He had a bunch that I wanted to test out, but since I never fired any pistols before, I figured I'd just let him take care of all that. I wish we would have done some rifle shooting as well...he had an M1, and a shotgun I wanted to try out.

    Anyway, he took a Ruger .45, a Smith and Wesson .45 (his CCW) and a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver. We had two boxes of .45 and a box of .38 special wadcutters. I fired about 3/4s of the box with the Ruger, and I gotta say that thing was far more gun than I was expecting. I've never fired a pistol, so starting off with that bad dog was a bit much. I was basically closing my eyes and partially flinching with every shot. I had the target at between 20 and 25 yards the whole time, so I was really hitting all over the place.

    There were holes everywhere on that paper because that gun was too manly for me to be using (I'll take a pic and post it here when I get a chance). When my wife's uncle (would that be uncle-in-law?) decided he finally didn't like his S&W .45 (this was his last time at the range to decide if he was keeping it) he let me fire off the rest of the box that I had with it. The funny thing is, it's a smaller gun and it fits my hand much better than the Ruger, but maybe I was getting used to the kick (or overcompensating for it anyway). I kept all of the shots around the "gut" of the target, but I was aiming for the heart. So even though the shots were grouped much closer than I was doing with the Ruger, I was compensating for the kick and all the shots hit low.

    We finished off the trip by taking turns with the .38 on a fresh target (which I didn't keep, but I should have). I did a lot better with that one. I was hitting close to where I was aiming and the kick and crap was far more tolerable (although I can't seem to get past closing my eyes with every shot. That's got to be a bad habit). The gun felt very solid and fit my hand better than the other two pistols. I loved it except for the while 5 shot capacity, and the hassle of reloading a revolver (although it was easier than having to load the magazines, having a full magazine to reload was much more convinient). I was able to actually hit areas where I was aiming, but just not the actual point I was aiming for.

    Needless to say I'm hooked now, and I want to shoot some rifles, shotguns and of course more pistols. I want to try out some 9mm pistols to see if I want to go that route, or just stick it out with the .45s. I also want to do a ton of .22LR shooting, just to get a feel for how to aim and crap like that.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

    We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)
  2. Pandinha is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    8,751

    Posted On:
    4/13/2006 2:21pm

    supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pity we had that severe storm and tornado warnings. It really reminded me of how the last hurricane started!

    Glad you had fun man! Now go get CCW there in Vegas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
  3. Jaguar Wong is offline
    Jaguar Wong's Avatar

    Safe For Work

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,456

    Posted On:
    4/13/2006 2:26pm

    supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, I don't know if I'm ready to start carrying a firearm. I just want to hit something that I intend to hit. And hit it good enough to make it stop.

    Yeah, shame about the weather. At least I got to shoot something, though. I mean I can go shooting anytime here in Vegas, but I wanted to get together with a fellow Bullshidoka and do some shooting (or sparring...or at the very least eating).
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

    We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)
  4. Don Gwinn is online now
    Don Gwinn's Avatar

    BJJ wins again!

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Virden, IL
    Posts
    3,570

    Posted On:
    4/13/2006 2:27pm

    supporting member
     Style: Guns

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shooting low is a common reaction to recoil and noise--you "flinch" without really thinking about it. I have a bit of a flinch myself, to be honest. If you load a revolver but leave some empty chambers, every once in awhile you'll pull the trigger and no bang will ensue. Try it if you get the chance--you'll be surprised how far and how fast you're jerking the gun down when you *expect* it to fire.

    This is a good way to break a flinch. I took too much time off from shooting (not by choice) and then put 150 rounds of .45 downrange last Sunday. My flinch was back, but by the end of the session I had it under control. It can certainly be done.

    If possible, shoot a .22 rifle and pistol before you shoot anything else again. This will let you concentrate on having fun hitting a target before you worry about recoil and noise. I start new shooters out on a Ruger .22 with a heavy, "bull" barrel. This gun doesn't even move under .22 recoil and with ear protection you can barely hear it. People forget about recoil and just make the target dance.


    (EDIT: Cross-posted this; didn't mean to tell you what you already knew.)
    *********************************************
  5. SFGOON is offline
    SFGOON's Avatar

    and humble, too!

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,208

    Posted On:
    4/13/2006 2:47pm


     Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a sinlge shot contender .44 magnum, and put about twenty rounds through it (if you hands can take it) or until your flinch goes away. Then grab a 9mm or a .45 and have a go, I promise you will not flinch even a little bit.
  6. Jaguar Wong is offline
    Jaguar Wong's Avatar

    Safe For Work

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,456

    Posted On:
    4/13/2006 3:13pm

    supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Shooting low is a common reaction to recoil and noise--you "flinch" without really thinking about it. I have a bit of a flinch myself, to be honest. If you load a revolver but leave some empty chambers, every once in awhile you'll pull the trigger and no bang will ensue. Try it if you get the chance--you'll be surprised how far and how fast you're jerking the gun down when you *expect* it to fire.
    We found out that using old .38 ammo had the same effect. :tongue11: Every once and a while the round didn't go off. I have to be honest, that freaks me out and is very unnerving, because I wouldn't have known what to do afterwards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    This is a good way to break a flinch. I took too much time off from shooting (not by choice) and then put 150 rounds of .45 downrange last Sunday. My flinch was back, but by the end of the session I had it under control. It can certainly be done.

    If possible, shoot a .22 rifle and pistol before you shoot anything else again. This will let you concentrate on having fun hitting a target before you worry about recoil and noise. I start new shooters out on a Ruger .22 with a heavy, "bull" barrel. This gun doesn't even move under .22 recoil and with ear protection you can barely hear it. People forget about recoil and just make the target dance.


    (EDIT: Cross-posted this; didn't mean to tell you what you already knew.)
    Trust me, I have too much "book knowledge" on firearms (from reading a ton of books, magazines and internet forums), so any actual advice is better for me. I prefer to get the guidance of an expert instead of pretending to know how to shoot, because I use the term "magazine" instead of "clip".
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

    We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)
  7. Jaguar Wong is offline
    Jaguar Wong's Avatar

    Safe For Work

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,456

    Posted On:
    4/13/2006 3:15pm

    supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    Get a sinlge shot contender .44 magnum, and put about twenty rounds through it (if you hands can take it) or until your flinch goes away. Then grab a 9mm or a .45 and have a go, I promise you will not flinch even a little bit.
    Sounds like getting punched in the face full force to prepare for light contact sparring with friends. :icon_thum Don't know if I'm up to trying out a .44 magnum, though. I have a hard enough time just getting used to the idea of firing a real pistol, let alone one with a lot of power, kick and noise.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

    We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)
  8. poidog is offline
    poidog's Avatar

    Competition Team Tag...yes?

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sanctum Sanctorum, SoCal
    Posts
    1,383

    Posted On:
    4/13/2006 3:24pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong
    Needless to say I'm hooked now, and I want to shoot some rifles, shotguns and of course more pistols. I want to try out some 9mm pistols to see if I want to go that route, or just stick it out with the .45s. I also want to do a ton of .22LR shooting, just to get a feel for how to aim and crap like that.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Welcome to the club, and say hello to another money drain.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa
  9. Neildo is offline
    Neildo's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    6,045

    Posted On:
    4/13/2006 3:48pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong
    I prefer to get the guidance of an expert instead of pretending to know how to shoot, because I use the term "magazine" instead of "clip".
    Wait, Isn't magazine the correct term anyway?

    I recall getting corrected by one of the bullie-gunners. I forget who.

    disclaimer: I don't own any guns. I just think they're neat-o.
    Last edited by Neildo; 4/13/2006 3:50pm at .
    :new_all_c
  10. Nid is offline

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,530

    Posted On:
    4/13/2006 3:58pm

    supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A clip can be inserted into a fixed or removable magazine:

    http://www.aaconsult.com/ammoreview/...per_clips.html
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.