Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSamurai
    Thats a good thing, standup fighting is much more entertaining than groundfighting.
    Well, that's your opinion, which seems to be the same opinion as most of the US fans, which is why they are trying to cater to their preferences. Obviously in Japan they prefer technique and skill over strength and striking which is why the rules in PrideFC are the way they are. For example, the first round being 10 minutes so the grapplers have enough time, and they allow kicks and knees to the head of a grounded fighter. It's obviously the simple matter of the average american not understanding the ground game and thinking it's boring, whereas in Japan they understand it a great deal better, and find it to be more entertaining. Then when you consider how much more mainstream MA and MMA is in Japan, it's really only a matter of time before the people of the US see enough of it and understand enough of it to feel the same way as the Japanese.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 8:16pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Donīt get me wrong, I like grappling. But I hate fights where nothing and a person lies in another persons guard on the ground for 10 minutes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 8:36pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No dude, I'm right there with you. That's the only problem I have with PrideFC. Sometimes you just get those guys that just wanna take their opponent down and lay on top of him, which for me as a viewer just gives it a very strong anesthetic feel and I just either fall asleep or just start staring at the wall until I hear the bell ring. I do think that a stand up fight is more likely to be exciting than a ground fight, but if you get two guys that are good enough on the ground, I think it can be more exciting. Like one of my favorites for example would be Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Carlos Newton. That was like 98% ground fight, and 2% striking and that was one of the most suspenseful, skillful, and entertaining fights I've seen. On the other hand, you look at something like Forrest Griffin vs. Stephen Bonnar and you see how intense a stand up fight can be.

I guess the problem is that even if you don't know what you're doing standing up, you can still have a mildly entertaining stand up fight, but if you don't know what you're doing on the ground, there's no way it's gonna be exciting. Then that brings up the whole debate concerning the PrideFC fighters being more skilled on the ground than the UFC fighters, which I happen to agree with. I'm one of those idiots who still hopes that one day we'll see a UFC vs. PrideFC GP single elimination tournament. hehe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 7:45am

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How come I haven't seen any more discussion about this? Did anyone watch the last event? The fights weren't bad, but I think they need to refine the team concept. Maybe develop some point system so that if a team is winning 3-0 there is still incentive to keep fighting the last two fights.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 8:11am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Lineage won the last superfight! Go Renzo Go!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 7:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone watch the special last night? I was rooting for the Silverbacks, but I think Feitosa got robbed in that decision.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 4:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Kosho Ryu Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aw, I missed it! Do you know if they will re-air the fights anytime soon?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 8:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone hear about the Carlos Newton vs. Renzo Gracie IFL superfight in November? Dude. It's free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12