Posted On:
    4/13/2006 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

International Fight League

http://www.ifl.tv

Has anyone heard much about this. Seems kinda like Chuck Norris's WCL except with MMA. There are four teams coached by Bas Rutten, Renzo Gracie, Pat Millitich and Maurice Smith. The fights are going to be broadcasted on Fox Sports.

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 12:17pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think a video of that was posted on here before. looks pretty entertaining...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 5:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'm actually going to the IFL's first event on April 29th in Atlantic City. I also met one of the co-founders, his name is Kirt Otto. I was at the Renzo Gracie Academy in NYC for a free trial class and he saw I was wearing a PRIDE FC hoodie and asked me if I was into MMA then I should keep my eyes open for this league he's starting called the IFL. He said it's going to be the first fighting league where the fighters are on teams and get paid in the same way that players get paid in sports and he explained some more and said he's getting some big names. I asked who and he mentioned Bas and I was like "you mean you've talked to Bas?" and he was like "yeah, and I actually just got off the phone 20 minutes ago with Randy Couture. I also heard him talking in an online interview and he mentioned Couture and talked about him like he is his idol. I also know that they are going to announce 4 new teams after their first event, so I'm thinking if he's friends with Couture and was talking to him about the IFL, I wouldn't be surprised if Couture ends up being the coach of one of the new teams, which would of course be awesome.

This was back in October '05, and all this time I wasn't sure if the guy was pulling my chain or not but obvious he means business. I can't wait, I'm totally psyched about it. I think they are also supposed to have jerseys and hats for the 4 teams on sale at the event. I can't wait to be the first person in my town to wear an Anacondas jersey. hehe

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 5:08pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if Bas is in it it must be good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 5:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of people are just shrugging this off as another no name MMA organization. This thing is going to be so huge you can't even imagine. There will be no pay-per-view events. Every event is going to be on Fox Sports. It's also the first time fighters get paid a salary to be on a team with coaches just like players in the MLB, NFL, etc., and don't forget the "I" stands for international, so other countries will be involved and have teams of their own. They also said the money will be good enough that the fighters can be full time mixed martial artists. They will only train full time, and fight. That's their job.
    They already have big names like Bas Rutten, Renzo Gracie, Pat Miletich, and Maurice Smith, and their first event is not in some underground parking garage, it's the freakin Taj Mahal in Atlantic City.

They have also made some changes to what we are used to with MMA, at least here in the US.
    First, they are doing away with the cage or octagon thing. It's going to be in a ring. In an interview with Kirt Otto he said that people associate the cage with brutality and violence and they want this to be looked at as a sport, so they are using a ring. It also makes for a better live show because you can see better.

They are also doing away with the use of elbows to the head. Here in the UFC, we can use elbows to the head but you can't kick the head of a grounded fighter and you can't knee to the head of a grounded fighter. In Japan with PrideFC it's reversed. You can't elbow the head, but you can kick and knee a grounded fighter in the head. In the IFL, they are doing away with all of those options. No elbows to the head at any time, and no kicks or knees in the head to a grounded fighter. So, yeah, that will take away from the art a little bit, but they think it will make it less violent and less bloody while still allowing for a good fight, so we'll have to see how that works out. Other than that, it all sounds totally awesome and it's going to be an awesome first event and this thing is going to grow and get popular so fast you'll wonder how we did without it all this time.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 5:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great, informative post KuNg FooL. I am now pretty excited about this.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 6:51pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the downside, the rounds are going to be short and the standups frequent.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 6:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that part. The rounds are going to be 4 minutes long, so that's kinda gonna suck for the ground game cuz by the time you get a good position and start trying to work some submissions, the time will be up. I mean it is only one minute less per round than in the UFC, but even that is considered too short for grapplers, which is why in PrideFC in Japan where they prefer to see a good ground fight, they have the first round go for 10 minutes straight.

The Couch Ninja

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Free MMA fights in a non pay per view situation has to be a good thing. I'll be watching for sure.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    On the downside, the rounds are going to be short and the standups frequent.
    Thats a good thing, standup fighting is much more entertaining than groundfighting.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast