Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 7:53pm

Style: Noobie Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoardHitBack
    Cool thanks man! Could you tell me about the horse-bench form's applications? I've seen bits and pieces of its history in wing chun but wonder how it works in a modern setting.

Cheers!
    Wait...horse bench?

Sorry, I'm a blind noob. No, we don't use the horse bench. I don't know why I thought you were talking about the platform fighting.

Sorry dude

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 7:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You claim to do wing chun, probably the style that stresses spazzing out and hammering forward with chainpunches as the primary response to any situation, and you say that your ATTACK is weak and your defense strong?

You do some weird-ass wing chun.

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 8:04pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I imagine a lot of his experience involves two partner parrying drills with no actual intent on the part of the puncher to make contact with his partner's face.

I guess that would build some ok reflexes for defense, but it's not as good as a boxing-for-mma elbows guard, especially because you're prone to falling prey to feints and leave yourself wide open.

There's a reason why Boxing is the superior punching art: boxers punch each other constantly and know what works and what doesn't by direct, (excuse the pun) hands-on experience and direct risk of the consequences of them not training in the optimal techniques (getting KTFO'd). Most people who train at a less-than full contact school generally don't have to worry about this risk and can go home to their nice suburbanite life to fantasize about performing exotic looping blocks and meeting or redirecting every incoming punch in a flurry of arms.

DG, make sure when you come in on Friday you show up early enough to do some focus mit work. Crawford will nail you in the head if your guard is down, or just crappy. I've gone home with imprints on my forehead of the laces on the mits. It's a humbling experience to be punched at will when you mistakenly think your defense is good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 3:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Just stop trying to learn piecemeal or from people who don't train you to fight. While slight adjustments need to be made to transition from MMA to Streetfighting, they're so ridiculously minor that trying to justify having styles based on one or the other is just asinine.

Can you come in on Friday morning, around 10?
    I got a ride and will be there friday at 10.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 3:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    You claim to do wing chun, probably the style that stresses spazzing out and hammering forward with chainpunches as the primary response to any situation, and you say that your ATTACK is weak and your defense strong?

You do some weird-ass wing chun.
    Dude, if any Wing Chun fighter tried to blaze a trail towards me with chain punches, I'd murder him.

Chain punches are supposed to be done as a counter in my opinion.

My guards are good with WCF, but because of the nature of the school, I was only taught to counter attack. I have a way to attack, but that involves hand grappling which I'm tempted to keep training at the school just to learn his hand grappling system. Its effective for inclose fighting and trapping, but I don't want the rest of the style anymore.

Phrost:
    I'll bring my hand wraps then. Sounds like I might need them.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 6:05am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this a real first post DG or were you being sarcastic? My sarcastron is busted right now...
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:19pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Know where you're coming from. If it's like I'm imagining, you have problems getting your footwork ''on the move'', looking for openings or even how to get in his nose without getting hooked or crossed in the face. You might be able to get better at those things by practicing your footwork in a fluid manner along with your hand work. Worked for me.

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:46pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Glitch
    I got a ride and will be there friday at 10.
    Ok, I'll make it to that one too then. I'm pretty damn miserable right now with the sunburn and all, but I'm taking vitamin E like gangbusters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 10:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mundane
    Know where you're coming from. If it's like I'm imagining, you have problems getting your footwork ''on the move'', looking for openings or even how to get in his nose without getting hooked or crossed in the face. You might be able to get better at those things by practicing your footwork in a fluid manner along with your hand work. Worked for me.
    Yeah, my footwork sucks. I nearly walked into a few of his punches. I'd like to think that I would've dodged them, but he was pulling his punches cause we don't have any gloves/pads.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Is this a real first post DG or were you being sarcastic? My sarcastron is busted right now...
    What are you talking about? You've lost me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 10:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    You claim to do wing chun, probably the style that stresses spazzing out and hammering forward...
    "Probably the style that stresses..."

What does that exactly mean? Are you criticizing a style based on what you 'probably' think they do?

with chainpunches as the primary response to any situation,
    Do you know this is how WC people fight...or is this another 'probably'?
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast