Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 9:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    In his front hand, so, you know, he can attack with it.
    Well the guy had a blade, no real skill or sophisticate technique is needed to do someone over with a blade. If he really tried to stick it in the defender he could even without training. I had a mock sword fight with my 4 year old nephew, there I was thinking the idea was to slap the plastic swords together and pretend to be fighting, but his idea was a little more realistic - christ I've never been so utterly stabbed to death in a hyperactive frenzy. Send this blackbelt up against my nephew, then see how well he manages to run away.
    Last edited by Fantasy Warrior; 4/13/2006 9:11am at .
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 9:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JKDChick,

Not all FMA systems emphasize having the weapon in the lead (primary) hand. Most of the Inosanto trained eskrima players I've seen use and teach this approach because it makes attacking with the weapon easier. There are styles like Pekiti Tirsia which will chamber the weapon back so that they can generate power and not expose the weapon hand as a target as much. Instead of relying on the weapon as the first line of defense, they use footwork.
    So in principle having the weapon in the rear hand is not necessarily a bad strategy, just different. Just to be clear, I'm not defending that guy on the clip because he wasn't a good example of what I'm talking about.

Eric

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 9:24am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Yeah, but that's not what I was saying. That "knife in back hand, front hand out thing" is something from the freaking 40's I think -- I've seen it before, and it's pure "martial arts". It's not a stance that anyone actually ATTACKING you with a knife takes. Maybe if you're chained to Chico by the wrist, battling for the honor of your girl, in the middle of a school yard with the Sharks and the Jets having a dance fight in the background it makes sense. Otherwise :sad3:

Just pick up a knife in the kitchen some time and go into a stance without thinking. 99 times out of a hundred, you'll have the knife in standard grip, primary hand, with that hand in the front. It's just the WAY someone picks up a knife. And attacks with it.
    What about a sneak attack? You know, the guy doesn't want you to know he has a knife so he throws some lead hand jabs at you before plunging his knife into you. I've only seen one person get stabbed in a fight and nobody knew the guy even had a knife. That was how it went down.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 10:06am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    It does say in the video description he's not allowed to counterattack in the drill he's doing, guys.
    No, not in the 2 on 1 which me and Fnord325 are talking about now. He actually throws 3-4 punches.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 11:22am

supporting member
     Style: Jun Fan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Epa -

I agree. The 'live hand' out in front can be used to intercept and if you know what the h*ll you are doing you can 'guide' the knife attack into your blade while moving correctly. Not saying it's better or anything, just that that is how I automatically hold a knife (slightly back) with my live hand slightly forward. Of course the position changes dynamically during the attacks/counters where the knife hand will be the lead. Crap, someone is going to get cut anyway, I'm going to just try to not cut my own self during the adrenaline frenzy.

I like the 2 rubber knife drill, use chalk or something on the blades to show how badly everyone dies.
    It's hard to fight when you're in a gazebo -- Mitch Hedberg

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 4:48pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It does say in the video description he's not allowed to counterattack in the drill he's doing, guys.
    I don't think that was there before. I suspect the bloke who uploaded it added it after I PMd him for details.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did this kind of black belt test all the time with friends of mine when I was a kid.

Back then, we called it "tag".

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:08pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's nice of them to add that information now.

The question is: why? Why train to run around in a small area? If you can run, fine. But this is in a confined space, with an almost-determined attacker. Surely it's better to learn how to confront the knife, and be tested on this, than to learn how to run around? If the test was on avoidance techniques, it doesn't look much like them either.

Baffled.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 7:53pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ugh, that video reminds me of when I used to do Shaolin Do. Starting at 1st brown, you had to do two one on one VERY light contact matches and then a two on one VERY light contact match. It was always a joke. You weren't trained for it at all (of course we never did anything beyond VERY light contact anyway), you just showed up to test, did all those friggin kata, and then jumped in with your fellow testees. Reminds me of why I'm out.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 8:09pm

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    god on a bike

Is that what you call pusuit sparring?

thats why i gave up karate after 13 years, I know he cant fight back but the man with the knife looked like he was either gonna have a heart attack or fall on it and he had hundreds of chances to carve his name and address into the guys back

FMA is the future..
    Last edited by TCDD; 4/13/2006 8:12pm at .
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast