Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:31pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord325
    This sort of crap is just hazing. It serves no real purpose. I hate redneck ryu....Redneck ryu is always about who are the big kahunas, not about learning anything. You learn slugfest technique and that is about it.
    I can add nothing more to this - perfectly said. Go to the top of the class.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:33pm

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In our dojo, we realized that a knife will kill you even in the hands of a complete idiot. We trained against basic knife attacks, and worked on sandbagging the weapon arm a lot. To get cut or "die" in a sparring match with a knife is expected. No shame in that, it is hard to beat a knife attack.

Running around in a circle and getting stabbed in the butt ain't it though. If I performed like that, failed without question.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as the knifer being committed. You don't really have to be that committed with a knife, do you? It isn't like a punch. Granted, it isn't a light saber either, but a good 2" blade can cut really deep if used even half-way correctly.

I know some people who were experimenting with different folders and they realized that a 2" spyderco folder could cut right through 1" PVC pipe with the right technique. PVC is a hell of a lot tougher than what my skin is made of (and the blood vessels too).

I think in that situation you have to draw the opponent, if you run around like that, he will eventually pin you. Like trying to back pedal on a good grappler, not the way to go!

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:46pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashomon
    I actually thought the second video was better. It was more realistic, because if you get two guys attacking you, you're probably screwed, and you'll take a beating like that. At least both attackers attacked AT THE SAME TIME, which is what would normally happen, rather than taking turns like you see in so many piss-poor demos.
    Nope. I disagree. This wasn't a demo it was a test. So, he should've thrown something. Hell, I've seen gang initiations on TV and real. They put up more of a fight in an uncontrolled situation. This is a trained fighter, going for his BB, in a controlled scenario, turtiling throwing zero techniques.

I'm not saying it should be Kung Fu Movie Demo quality but, 2 people vs 1 isn't as horrible as you think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying it should be Kung Fu Movie Demo quality but, 2 people vs 1 isn't as horrible as you think.
    Depending on who the two people are, I agree. I did multiples in a dojang that was kick punch. I got my ass handed to me for many, many minutes. That was all it was about, how much can you take.

I did multiples in a dojo that allowed almost any technique, and whadya know, I didn't get my ass handed to me every time. Now, training with your dojo mates and wanting everyone to be able to walk home made it "less than real" many times. However, you got a feel for how to move in between people and use the space to try to survive. I see none of that going on.

Of course, in these mega tests, you have usually gone through like 3 hours of basics and kata and blah, blah, blah, then they throw you into the ring. It is just a bunch of redneck BS.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 12:12am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depending on who the two people are, I agree. I did multiples in a dojang that was kick punch. I got my ass handed to me for many, many minutes. That was all it was about, how much can you take.
    Yes, but I bet you returned some kicks and punches. That is my point not win, not lose, but trying techniques (punches and kicks) to defend yourself.

Nothing resembling defense is in either video, It is running in both. The length doesn't matter. I was in a Mcdojo my last 2 tests were 3-2 hours respectively. I was dog tired, during multiples, and still was defending myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 12:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yes

Oh yes, I never went down, and I managed to get into quite a battle with my attackers. It was just a total (Trek-geek stuff) Kobayashi Maru, hopeless situation. It has no other outcome unless you are put in with complete noobs.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 2:05am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as the knifer being committed. You don't really have to be that committed with a knife, do you? It isn't like a punch. Granted, it isn't a light saber either, but a good 2" blade can cut really deep if used even half-way correctly.
    Yeah, but that's not what I was saying. That "knife in back hand, front hand out thing" is something from the freaking 40's I think -- I've seen it before, and it's pure "martial arts". It's not a stance that anyone actually ATTACKING you with a knife takes. Maybe if you're chained to Chico by the wrist, battling for the honor of your girl, in the middle of a school yard with the Sharks and the Jets having a dance fight in the background it makes sense. Otherwise :sad3:

Just pick up a knife in the kitchen some time and go into a stance without thinking. 99 times out of a hundred, you'll have the knife in standard grip, primary hand, with that hand in the front. It's just the WAY someone picks up a knife. And attacks with it.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 5:37am

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup i'm with jkd chick on this one.
    Just get a friend and 2 rubber training knives.
    One of you does the weapon forward and the other does weapon back.
    See which guy gets stabbed more. Also see if the go keeping the knife at the back actually keeps it there.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 6:42am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It does say in the video description he's not allowed to counterattack in the drill he's doing, guys.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 4/13/2006 6:46am at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast