Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 7:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So how is running around in a square and and changing directions knife defense?

The sparring video is worse. It looks like a gang initiation. The guy curls up gets beatdown, runs, gets caught, gets beatdown, more people attack rinse and repeat.

Actually, I take that back I have seen better techniques thrown in a gang initiation

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 7:52pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just PMd the guy who posted the clip. The attackee passed his black belt test. I don't understand this at all.

It's funny, I was going to call the multiple attackers clip a hazing...
    Last edited by DAYoung; 4/12/2006 7:54pm at .
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 8:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not as if all black-belts know knife defences, but if you have it on the test, and you fail the test...

Barmy. Even the dodgy 'turn, grab and wrist-lock' or 'cross block and armlock' chestnuts would have been better than jogging in a circle.

Did they even learn any techniques, or did they just turn up and expect him to intuit a defence?
    Last edited by DAYoung; 4/12/2006 8:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 10:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    So how is running around in a square and and changing directions knife defense?

The sparring video is worse. It looks like a gang initiation. The guy curls up gets beatdown, runs, gets caught, gets beatdown, more people attack rinse and repeat.

Actually, I take that back I have seen better techniques thrown in a gang initiation
    I actually thought the second video was better. It was more realistic, because if you get two guys attacking you, you're probably screwed, and you'll take a beating like that. At least both attackers attacked AT THE SAME TIME, which is what would normally happen, rather than taking turns like you see in so many piss-poor demos.

The first vid, though? Pure crap. The defendee kept getting sliced up. He had more slits than a Vegas whore house.

I don't know why that was part of a black belt test, though. Is running something they actually have to teach? I mean, you could get any untrained stooge off the street, put them in there, and they would probably run around clueless like that, too.

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 10:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually thought the second video was better. It was more realistic, because if you get two guys attacking you, you're probably screwed, and you'll take a beating like that.
    Yes, I've had it happen to me (but I didn't go down). And I at least threw in a few techniques before my lip was busted open.

I don't know why that was part of a black belt test, though. Is running something they actually have to teach? I mean, you could get any untrained stooge off the street, put them in there, and they would probably run around clueless like that, too.
    My point exactly. I'm not saying I'm a mighty knife-defending legend, but I know
    I would have done something to distinguish me from someone with no training (particularly for a black belt grading).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:18pm

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Multiple attackers

In the karate dojo I trained in, we did a lot of multiple attacker stuff, focussing on distance and moving to avoid getting swamped. It certainly wasn't all out or balls to the wall.

However, friend was at the Rose Bowl and he and some friends did get attacked by some knife wielding individuals. My friend took two down, his friend got stabbed in the back (survived) and the guys who were still standing ran because the cops were coming. My friend almost took the cop down who grabbed his shoulder, but saw him in time. He kneed one guy in the face after ducking a blow to the head and bounced the other dudes face off a dumpster corner (not pretty). These were just street toughs, not formally trained, but they were intent on hurting someone apparently.

In that situation, if I were trapped and had no improvised weaponry available, I would get a hold of that weapon arm (hook right onto that elbow) and stretch it out away from his other hand (nothing fancy just drag it from the other hand) and just wail the hell out of the guy with whatever free weapon I had (head butt comes to mind). It ain't pretty, but no knife fight probably is.

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord325
    In the karate dojo I trained in, we did a lot of multiple attacker stuff, focussing on distance and moving to avoid getting swamped. It certainly wasn't all out or balls to the wall.
    If you had performed like the bloke in the video, would you have passed the test?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The multiples were very typical for Krotty. You can only punch and kick. This is what stand up grappling was made for. Tie one guy up and get him between you and his buddy. You have to be willing to really hurt somebody, and in the type of sparring shown in this video, that isn't really an option.

Put a guillotine on or a choke and use them as a shield. Light one up with a MT clinch, and wheel him around so the other guy can't hit you. No, it isn't easy, but you certainly can't do it with the point pillows on your hands. I mean, you are telling me he couldn't get a hold of one of those sloppy roundhouse kicks and then really hurt the guy? I know I would have one of those guys bouncing head first off one of those purty wood walls about a foot off the ground.

This sort of crap is just hazing. It serves no real purpose. I hate redneck ryu. Oh, and they mispelled Ronin. Redneck ryu is always about who are the big kahunas, not about learning anything. You learn slugfest technique and that is about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hell no

Oh, hell no, I would have failed easily.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:30pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy ****, what a fucking train wreck.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast