game dog

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 11:51am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strategies against bigger opponents

I'm planning on going to a submission grappling/ BJJ tournament... with a catch: no weight classes, no time limits. So basically it's possible that I'll face 250 lb wrestler monsters (I'm at 185). The question is: what gameplan should I follow in that situation - play guard, or avoid it, clinch, or avoid it... and what should I focus on in the remaining month of training?

So far, I'm a reasonably good guard player; my top game is so-so; my sidemount escapes need work; my standup game revolves more around underhooks and neck tie-ups than shooting, and while improving, it's still not great.

Any suggestions?
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 12:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How old are you, how tall are you, what sort of athlete are you (speed, strength, conditioning), and what is your training background & experience level? What are the other tournament conditions (is there a novice category or age divisions)?

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 4:29pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're going to be fighting heavier guys, I'd say be aggressive on the takedowns and take the top at all costs. With no timelimits, you can't afford to get gassed working escapes from the bottom. I'd definatly spend your month focusing getting your takedowns sharp/working your sprawl. Find a wrestler to shoot on you or something.

Good luck man, hope to see you in Boston again some time.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 5:58pm

Style: American Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm small, so I'll just suggest what works for me. I'm nothing special so Im not caiming this is the only or even the best way to go. I'd suggest working on your sprawl (crossfacing is your friend, but you don't have to be a dick about it), go behinds, and keeping a top position. My guard probably just sucks, but I have the most luck with leg locks (while going for standing passes) and the keylock from kesa/scarf hold. I'd also recommend triangles over armbars against bigger guys, but again my guard sucks.

RNC is your friend.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 6:01pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever you do well, only better.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 6:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by notquitedead
    the keylock from kesa/scarf hold
    The one where you use your legs? Do you have any tips on that? I can never seem to finish the damn thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 8:52pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whenever I go for a triangle on big guys, either they crush me until I let go, or their shoulders are too broad to even lock it in. I've had much more success with armbars (from top and bottom).

game dog

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 12:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    How old are you, how tall are you, what sort of athlete are you (speed, strength, conditioning), and what is your training background & experience level? What are the other tournament conditions (is there a novice category or age divisions)?
    I'm 6'4", 31 years old, not particularly strong, flexible, decent cardio, and I prefer to keep things moving slow. Three years of BJJ, two years of judo plus some other stuff that won't help me here (aikido, lol :-( ). There is no novice category, since there are no experience categories whatsoever.

game dog

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 12:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkpaladin
    If you're going to be fighting heavier guys, I'd say be aggressive on the takedowns and take the top at all costs. With no timelimits, you can't afford to get gassed working escapes from the bottom. I'd definatly spend your month focusing getting your takedowns sharp/working your sprawl.
    That sounds like a reasonable plan.
    Find a wrestler to shoot on you or something.
    That, on the other hand, will be harder... wrestling is not nearly as popular over here. But I'll try.
    Good luck man, hope to see you in Boston again some time.
    Some time definitely, but I don't have anything planned just yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 4:23pm

Style: American Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    The one where you use your legs? Do you have any tips on that? I can never seem to finish the damn thing.
    Yeah. How are you doing the scarf hold? I reach around their head with my near arm and grab the inside of my knee (so they can't bridge), lift their upper body up and slide my knee under their shoulder (so they can't turn in), raise my hips (putting all my weight on them... which isn't much), and try to keep my center of gravity as far to whatever side I'm on and as low as possible.

Instead of wrapping their arm around me, I grab their wrist with my free hand (my palm facing their veins so it's easy to push their arm up for the lock). From there you can just act like you're going for a scarf choke, then switch directions and push their forearm under the bend of your knee. Once I get the arm trapped, I lock my hands behind their head and pull their head up and away from their shoulder.

I hope that helps... I'm probably missing a lot of the details. Sorry I went through a complete description of it, but it's hard to just give tips when I don't know how you've been doing it. Good luck with it, I don't see people go for it that often but it's one of the first subs I learned and it just stuck with me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast