--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Joplin MO schools

My niece of 9 years old is wanting to start training but as of yet has not chosen
    a school. This is in Joplin, Missouri. I recommended she find a Judo class,
    but does anyone have information on various schools in Joplin with regards to
    teaching young beginners? I'm trying to ensure she enrolls in a non BS school.

Any advice on this appreciated.
    It's hard to fight when you're in a gazebo -- Mitch Hedberg

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a MMA school there in 96-97' that one of my friends trained at. It was run by two guys Jeff and Mike. I trained there a few times and it seemed like a good place to train. They also had several younger students (10 or 11) at the time.

Not sure if they are still around but there is hope.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I know they have an SBGI gym there - but I thought I'd see about getting her to take something different (maybe more fun for a 9 year old girl) for a couple of years. If that works out I will steer her towards a serious fighting school if she
    seems so inclined. I'm a little hesitant since she's basically a skinny 9 year old
    girl who is just curious about starting a martial art - I wouldn't just throw her into
    a boxing school. How about serious BJJ practicioners, would that be an ok environment for someone of that age/gender/strength? I didn't start training until I was old enough to choose my own destiny, so I don't really know what's best in this case.
    It's hard to fight when you're in a gazebo -- Mitch Hedberg