OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 7:43pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    I have some pics I took for the promotional brochures. Maybe if I can figure out this new scanner I will drop some in.
    You put the papers in face-down. You press "start scan". Scanning program should pop up on your computer.

BJJ wins again!

It's good that you did that, though. Maybe she will pass it on (not teaching, but saying that it's not that easy to defend against rape)

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 8:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    I taught a girl self-defense against rape techniques.

It was extremely awkward for me. But I am very happy with the results. She made it into federal law enforcement last I heard. A skinny little blonde good looking girl. I always wondered why she came to class. I had always hoped it wasn't to pick up guys. I made absolutely sure nobody hit on her. I always wondered if there was something in her past that made her push through the awkwardness and try to find some balance to her frailty and her primal instinct to defend herself.

But there is no 2 ways around it. If you want to teach her self defense you have to simulate some very shitty scenarios that border on sexual assault. I was pretty clear about this. She was cool with it because I do not hit on females in class. In fact I don't think I even know how since I have been with the same girl for so long.

But making her use guard. Sitting on her chest and slapping her. Putting her in a corner and trying to hold her there. Very uncomfortable. And I would say that 9 out of 10 women would not come back after that kind of training. Sometimes tits get touched. Pelvis' grind. I was probably more weirded out than she was. But after a few months I am pretty sure she could throw down. No way could this little 120 girl hang with our 200lbs guy boxing or grappling. But she could throw a mean elbow, had no problem grabbing peoples hair or having her hair grabbed. She got thrown. Punched. Kicked. A couple of times she had to time-out because someone knocked the air out of her. Too bad so sad. And although some allowances were made for her - she took her lumps just like everyone else.

I know for a fact that she was not deluded into thinking she was some kind of killing machine that could take on an army of ninjas. I am proud of the influence I had on her training. It was a long time ago but I know she couldn't have forgotten what I taught her.

I have some pics I took for the promotional brochures. Maybe if I can figure out this new scanner I will drop some in.
    ^^^THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE BEST "WOMEN'S SELF DEFENSE CLASS" I HAVE EVER HEARD OF "^^^

I always get flack from people when I critize womens self defense classes . When I explain why I feel that way everyone looks at ME like I am psycho . So yeah .. I understand completely .

When it comes to preparing for rape or attackers who are easily 130 -180 % your body weight and not only can but INTEND on seriously putting hurt on you , you can't even properlly go over the "textbook and lecture" material in a 3-4 hour seminar some random sunday after .

I first heard of and investigated B.J.J. becouse I heard " these crazy fuckers fight from their back ( on the floor ) with people between their legs and WIN ! " ...

first thing I thought of " women's self defense " .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 8:50pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This is the girl.

These are some photos we used for the brochure. I couldn't find any really good ones though. Maybe my wife threw them away! LOL!

But these were the kind we used with the caption - karate chops aren't going to cut it.

We had to kinda dumb it down a little for the presentation. Because no woman would ever join a class that looked like people having sex with thier clothes on. Lets be real - that is what it looks like to the uninitiated.

But this chick could throw a mean leg kick. And she liked to headbutt. A lot.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 9:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

LOL! That's what's really gonna happen.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 9:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Me showing her that you should ALWAYS kick someone while they are down. Especially if they are black.

LOL.

Calm down you hyper sensitive fuckers. I was only kidding.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 10:32pm

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Self-defense

Yeah,

Teaching women who have been assaulted before is really hairy. We had a student go into a PTSD attack in the middle of class. We talked her down and she kept with the class.

In our PE class, we could not simulate some of the things you did, and I would really not every try that in a University class. However, we did a lot of trash talking and yelling and screaming and intimidating. We both got really good at it.

We did hair stuff and we did pin them hard against the ground. Now, it was a coed class. We had strict policies about the guys giving the girls and ****. Having my then fiance as co-teacher made the girls at ease.

With the guys we did a lot of the trash talking and baiting scenarios that they had to deal with on campus. Our fraternity row was known for bait and trap fights. Hell they managed to riot during the rosebowl weekend and melt a street and put 28 cops in medical treatment! Even punks, in mass, can be extremely dangerous.

So, it was overall a success. We haven't done it since. I would want to get some of that High Gear if I ever did it again, or maybe a redman maxx suit. The stuff we used barely kept us out of the ER.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 10:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Miconceptions of women's self-defense

Although most women's self-defense courses taught by joe McDojo are complete BS, well meaning people with better skills can do harm too.

One of the misconceptions is the stranger attack and that they are going to be huge monsters. The truth is women are most likely going to be assaulted and/or killed by somebody they know. This is THE MOST DANGEROUS aspect of teaching self-defense to women.

Guys are more likely to be attacked by strangers.

One of the things we did on the first day was a talk, followed by a scenario, followed by a quiz. My wife would start the talk, and I would be standing to the side, when she hit a key word in her speech, I yelled, "You fucking bitch!" and threw a RNC on her. Now, this was a little scripted for times sake. She would defend and land a mean knee in my ribs, I would then scream, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" and we would freeze.

Well by then the semi-circle of students at our feet had scooched about three feet back. We calm them down and ask how many could do what my wife had just done. Almost all the hands shoot straight up immediately. Then we ask the crucial question, "what if it was your boyfriend, girlfriend, dad, etc." The eyes go wide as saucers and the hands start waivering and coming down.

So, we spent a lot of time teaching them how cons and creeps circumvent your social defenses and how to detect them. For a primer on this sort of thing I suggest Gavin DeBecker's "The Gift of Fear."

Women are much more likely to be attacked and/or killed by a male family member, friend, or intimate partner. Just thinking what that says about society is a little sobering. Also, the average rapist is between 5' 8" and 5' 10" and only ways about 150-160lbs. It isn't brute strength or size they have to worry about, it is sneakiness. Roofies, alcohol, con games, these are really the things women have to look out for in real life.

One of the worst things a male instructor can do is let his own macho fantasies get in between him and the women he is trying to instruct. You may be sending them out into the world with the wrong skill set.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 11:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ if taught with the appropriate additional material is an excellent SD system for women. It is true that they are more likely to be grappling with an adversary. Submission wrestling would also be good.

However, being an expert in any good MA does not make a person an expert in teaching SD. You have to go out and do your homework on the side. Fighting does not equal SD, it is just one component.

My wife and I spent a year preparing to teach that class and it still evolved over the two years we taught it. Although the physical aspects are important, if you can put away your preconceived notions about how the world is then you may do more harm than good.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/16/2006 6:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    really nice work yrkoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    1) If an attacker isn't somewhat trained, the attacker is fairly susceptible to such an attack.
    2) If you can pull it off, the attack ends.
    3) I can stomach most attacks, but two exceptions that come to mind are cracking someone in the head with a heavy object and eye-gouging. Of course, I say that having never been put in a situation where anything remotely similar would be necessary, so I'm not entirely sure I couldn't do it if the need arose.

Note: This says nothing of the quality of this particular product, and I despise the false-confidence problem as much as the next person.
    1)anyone can eye gouge. her attacker is just as capable of doing it as she is. in fact, from that position, it is much easier for the person on top to do something like that.

2)even if the girl in that photo could successfully gouge from there, there is no guarantee at all that it will stop any attack.

3)cracking someone over the head with a heavy object is in my opinion a much better option.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/16/2006 6:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord325
    One of the things we did on the first day was a talk, followed by a scenario, followed by a quiz. My wife would start the talk, and I would be standing to the side, when she hit a key word in her speech, I yelled, "You fucking bitch!" and threw a RNC on her. Now, this was a little scripted for times sake. She would defend and land a mean knee in my ribs, I would then scream, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" and we would freeze.
    you've made some good points, not sure about this escape for a RNC though!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast