Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 10:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    You should remember this next time you see some snotty ninja ***** or whatever say that "My style is so deadly it is taught to the Imperial Stormtroopers!"
    It must be the geek in me, but I'm suddenly interesting in what kind of H2H training Imperial Stormtroopers have.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 1:50am

Style: Boxing and Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this is 2 pages ago. But:

Here in Tucson Az, there's a couple rape prevention seminars. I've seen a couple live and their all bull. I don't mean to brag but I think I can take the instructor. He's a TDK BB whois never been in a real fight apparently, "but he knows these teqniques work". I think a adverage criminal would own these ladies.

It's a shame because when they practice their doing all their set moves against over compliant partners. So they don't realise what a real encounter is like.

But these girls are convinced their super-human and they shouldn't have to be carful or afraid.

I am women....

Hear me roar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 8:50am

Style: Yang style Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually taught a women's self defense course one time. I chose to focus on how to stay away from trouble, rather than the physical stuff. I thought it was a great idea. Unfortunantly noone was happy with it.

It just goes to show...well, I'm not sure what it goes to show. I think there's a class of person who would rather feel safe than be safe.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 8:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to hug any old-timer's nuts or anything, but Shawarma is right on the money. I don't doubt he taught the SAS, but I do doubt it carries the weight implied in his advertising and I'd say the same about every other "it must be great because I taught the military" type claim, from Wing Tsun, Shenshido right throught to BJJ. The credibility and applicability of any art or system is outside of whether a military unit, however elite, once did a seminar on it.

On that note:
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 1:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Vale Tudo, ex-Krav

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger
    I know this is 2 pages ago. But:

Here in Tucson Az, there's a couple rape prevention seminars. I've seen a couple live and their all bull. I don't mean to brag but I think I can take the instructor. He's a TDK BB whois never been in a real fight apparently, "but he knows these teqniques work". I think a adverage criminal would own these ladies.

It's a shame because when they practice their doing all their set moves against over compliant partners. So they don't realise what a real encounter is like.

But these girls are convinced their super-human and they shouldn't have to be carful or afraid.

I am women....

Hear me roar.
    Do you go to UA? I remember seeing the front page of the Wildcat where this sorority was hosting a self-denfense seminar taught by some Karate instructer. This quote, paraphrased, caught my attention. "I feel confident with my legs, I like to kick." The picture accompanying the article featured girls in their cute little work-out clothes doing high side kicks. I would like to observe one of these classes, but I think that the ladies would assume that I was some kind of creep with an "Emma Peel High Kick" fetish.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 3:57am

Style: Boxing and Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by satchfuji
    Do you go to UA? I remember seeing the front page of the Wildcat where this sorority was hosting a self-denfense seminar taught by some Karate instructer. This quote, paraphrased, caught my attention. "I feel confident with my legs, I like to kick." The picture accompanying the article featured girls in their cute little work-out clothes doing high side kicks. I would like to observe one of these classes, but I think that the ladies would assume that I was some kind of creep with an "Emma Peel High Kick" fetish.

Yea, it's taught by the owner of the TDK Dojo on Pima & Rosmont. He teaches it there and at the UofA.

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 5:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the images, I assume one of the "techniques" in question is eye-gouging, of which I can say two things:
    1) If an attacker isn't somewhat trained, the attacker is fairly susceptible to such an attack.
    2) If you can pull it off, the attack ends.
    3) I can stomach most attacks, but two exceptions that come to mind are cracking someone in the head with a heavy object and eye-gouging. Of course, I say that having never been put in a situation where anything remotely similar would be necessary, so I'm not entirely sure I couldn't do it if the need arose.

Note: This says nothing of the quality of this particular product, and I despise the false-confidence problem as much as the next person.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 6:08pm

Style: looking for new style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should remember this next time you see some snotty ninja ***** or whatever say that "My style is so deadly it is taught to the Imperial Stormtroopers!"
    But Imperial Stormtroopers are ****. A whole room of them couldn't even hit Han Solo.
    Besides, what if the ninja ***** also learns a style so deadly that it is taught to Boba Fett?
    Everyone knows he's the most badass person in the galaxy, or at least until he got eaten by that giant vagina with tentacles in the desert.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 6:57pm

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

College Self-defense

My wife and I taught a college self-defense course, it was a semester long PE course. If the university knew what we were teaching, it would have been shut down. The midterm and final were me and my wife armored up and attacking, taking full contact blows from every student (20 or more). We got laid up from it every semester.

Now, this isn't going to prepare somebody to go up against a professional anybody, but the psychological avoidance stuff we taught allowed one guy to escape a multiple attacker ass beating in a frat basement. Another one of our students did escape a physical attack on campus with a thai knee to the thigh and then groin, then she ran.

We focussed a lot on the social/psychological, because that can get you out of 90% of the crap on a college campus. All drills were full contact on thai pads, mitts, padded walls, and the padded floor, we did limited grappling: how to sweep/roll somebody, how to splay out on the ground, and how to drop your weight to hit harder. Knees, strikes to the nose/chin, eyes, elbows, how to use your body weight, and how to fend from the ground.

We drilled then executed every class. Some of the brown and black belts from our karate dojo came to watch and thought our students were on crack or meth or something. They all declined to armor up and be attackers for the exams.

Now, I know a lot of people are against RBSD. Weekend seminars and such have made it a joke. This was 14 weeks of training twice a week for an hour and a half plus extra saturdays once a month. I could do a better job now, with more experience and technical knowledge, but I think we did a good job.

I am sure not everyone got something out of it. We had a lot of prissy girls and some jackass guys who just wouldn't listen. They typically would fail their first test runs because they would break a law or do something macho at which point I would point out that the attackers friends just started tap dancing on their heads.

This crap in the add though is just the typical magazine hype. As has been pointed out, the fantasy of feeling powerful is much more attractive than doing the actual work to develop physical/psychological confidence.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 7:39pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I taught a girl self-defense against rape techniques.

It was extremely awkward for me. But I am very happy with the results. She made it into federal law enforcement last I heard. A skinny little blonde good looking girl. I always wondered why she came to class. I had always hoped it wasn't to pick up guys. I made absolutely sure nobody hit on her. I always wondered if there was something in her past that made her push through the awkwardness and try to find some balance to her frailty and her primal instinct to defend herself.

But there is no 2 ways around it. If you want to teach her self defense you have to simulate some very shitty scenarios that border on sexual assault. I was pretty clear about this. She was cool with it because I do not hit on females in class. In fact I don't think I even know how since I have been with the same girl for so long.

But making her use guard. Sitting on her chest and slapping her. Putting her in a corner and trying to hold her there. Very uncomfortable. And I would say that 9 out of 10 women would not come back after that kind of training. Sometimes tits get touched. Pelvis' grind. I was probably more weirded out than she was. But after a few months I am pretty sure she could throw down. No way could this little 120 girl hang with our 200lbs guy boxing or grappling. But she could throw a mean elbow, had no problem grabbing peoples hair or having her hair grabbed. She got thrown. Punched. Kicked. A couple of times she had to time-out because someone knocked the air out of her. Too bad so sad. And although some allowances were made for her - she took her lumps just like everyone else.

I know for a fact that she was not deluded into thinking she was some kind of killing machine that could take on an army of ninjas. I am proud of the influence I had on her training. It was a long time ago but I know she couldn't have forgotten what I taught her.

I have some pics I took for the promotional brochures. Maybe if I can figure out this new scanner I will drop some in.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast