Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:10am

Style: Yang style Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** like this absolutely disgusts me.

People who teach **** like this do women an incredible disservice by giving them a false sense of security in addition to the idea that there's a quick, easy way to deal with an attacker.

I'm 6'3" 240lbs. I've been training most of my life. I worked as a bouncer for years. Sometimes it's hard for me to deal with your average drunk asshole. What the hell is someone going to do with the "7 most effective self defense techniques" after reading the book once? We had a women's self defense program at my Uni. I knew the instructer casually. Your average thug would have taken her apart.

When the hell will people get serious about their own safety?

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno
    WHAT?! HA! HA...HA!

that's crazy.

i have just sent an email to one of the adresses on the site asking if he did actually teach the SAS.
    Yep, he says it here:
    I have 30 years of continuous training and teaching experience in both effective self defense and martial arts. I have also studied several self defense systems and martial arts such as Krav Maga and Jujitsu. I have trained and continue to train with martial arts grand masters and have conducted seminars and training sessions with law enforcement agencies and the military (including the SAS!).

I have worked in dangerous security roles for most of my life, so you can trust that I know what I'm talking about.
    Australian SAS are highly regarded, but quite why that proves his 7 most effective moves are The 7 most effective moves beats me. I cannot comment on what he teaches on the courses (he has alluded to it being far more than just 7 moves and that the pictures aren't representative), although those pics look incredibly dubious, but his marketing is way out IMO.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a hard time imagining that the H2H combat techniques of Australia's redoubtable Special Forces are the same as those used by your average Jane/Joe trying to deal with a mugger or assailent.

Of course I've never been Aus. SAS.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a thread about the 7 most effective moves on his forum: http://www.all-karate.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=797
    Terry says...
    7most.com is a website for a self defence ebook I wrote the sales of which help
    to keep this site and lyon-karate.com plus my other M/A sites up and running.

Although as Angela has correctly pointed out wrist grabs are more common in attacks on women than most people think.

And the ability to get out of the many different types of wrist,arm and clothes grabs effectively is well worth anyone learning.

When taking the pictures for the book in order to show a defence you must have
    an attack to begin with and that's where the wrist lock came into the photo.

The book does not go into wrist locks and escapes at all,instead it covers in simple to follow instructions and photographs a combination of strikes and target areas that anyone male or female big or small can easily learn and apply in a self defence situation with no prior training.

--------------------

Sensei Terry Lyon
    5th Dan Chief Instructor T.O.G.K.A (W.A.)
    Traditional Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate Do Association
    Make your own minds up as to whether that is a good explantation of why the photos are so unrealistic.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 7:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that explanation does not give me a good impression at all.

perhaps this fellow gave the SAS a session or two, but i doubt that they would have taken his advice. they might have heard of his reputation of having the "7 most effective techniques" and got him in.

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    Deaths during training accidents make up the majority of the SASR's fatalities.
    their training is very harsh, which in the long run saves more lives than it takes, or so i'm told.

i doubt they're going to listen to this karate man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 7:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experiance with SF soldiers in the US is that they'll train with anybody just to see what's out there and get new ideas that work. So, while it is an honor to work with them, always, it's not an honor in the way this guy seems to think.

That was culturally insensitive of me. I should have spelled it "honour". I'm sorry.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 8:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    insolence!

i'll let you off this time.

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 8:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, try hanging around a few martial arts boards. Everybody claims that their super-deadly master is the instructor for the USMC/SAS/FBI/Spetznaz/Powerpuff Girls, and the funny thing is: THEY'RE OFTEN RIGHT!

This isn't neccesarily because their master really is so super-deadly as they claim, it has more to do with the fact that the various military, secret service and law enforcement orgs usually bring in a lot of different people to teach them various things, and since there are a fair number of people in these orgs, however legit they may be, who still don't know fuckall about martial arts or unarmed fighting, they keep on contracting bullshido artists with street-lethal bullshit. See old threads on how SCARS was claiming to be the official fighting system for some army unit, which was debunked. It has been firmly established on Bullshido that being a marine or Spec. Ops guy really doesn't mean you have any kind of unarmed fighting expertise, Chuck Norris movies aside.

You should remember this next time you see some snotty ninja ***** or whatever say that "My style is so deadly it is taught to the Imperial Stormtroopers!"

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 10:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    awesome, thanks.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast