Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 12:46pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why risk injuring yourself while sitting on your couch, when you will probably bang up and condition your shins while actually training? Kick the damn bag. Kick the Thai pads. Kick the suitcase. Kick your sparring partner. Check their kicks. This will do it.

I find that a lot of conditioning is just developing a tolerance for the pain in question.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wanna know a secret....The rolling of things on the shins is to condition the muscle to wrap around the shin bone. This gives the bone some protection. Thats an old rumor I read once. Its a waste of time....

Pain tolerance comes from kickng each others shins in sparring. No substitute for this.

as to the bag, open the top, put more stuff in, compress with foot, close bag, kick and punch. Repeat as the material settles. or take half the material out, compress the bottom half, put other half in, repeat....

I am currently working on some experiments myself with my own bag so I will let you know.

I hate to agree with the Kidspitter, but she is correct about the different conditions. hard/ soft, swinging or stationary, varying heights, etc...people come at you all different ways, so you gotta be diverse. Focus mitts are good too.....

Posted On:
    4/14/2006 4:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I think this is another rumor that's been spread by 16 year olds that THINK this is a good practice. I have my doubts that it really helps for much other than callousing the skin.
    wanna know a secret....The rolling of things on the shins is to condition the muscle to wrap around the shin bone. This gives the bone some protection. Thats an old rumor I read once. Its a waste of time....
    I'm guilty of this crime, so many wasted minutes...

Anyway, in response to the original post, I'm almost sure that it's only sand that settles and harderns.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    Anyway, in response to the original post, I'm almost sure that it's only sand that settles and harderns.
    In my experience, fabric settles and hardens too.

My current heavy bag is about a year old, and the bottom half is quite a bit stiffer than the top. That was not the case when I first bought it.

Presumably, gravity has had some effect. But overall, it has taken many more "head shots" than "body shots" or low kicks.

Which leads me to suspect that in addition to the sifting/settling effect (which you'd expect when tapping a container of something granular, like sand or rice), there's also a toothpaste-tube squeezing effect from applying more pressure at one end.

In fact, there's a continuum of soft-hard, from the top down. I.e., the top is the softest, the center is middling, the bottom is rock-solid.

Ditto the thai bags at the gym.

So I suspect the original poster will want to keep adding stuffing to the top of his bag. Best of all would be a true double-ended bag -- with D rings on both ends -- that you could beat on for a few months, then turn upside down and hang that way for a few months.

My bag has a single ring on the bottom to tether it, but I wouldn't try suspending it that way.
    Last edited by billy sol hurok; 4/15/2006 10:18am at .

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 9:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just spent a surprisingly cardio hour shaking the crap out of my heavy bag. I've removed the foam liner and I'm prepping to refill it sanz foam. I'm going to go pick up some sand and am unsure of how much I'm likely to need. It's possible that my google-fu also sucks.

For those that have added sand to their bags, how much did you add and what size bag was it?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234