Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was under the impression that if you want to condition your shins with something other than a heavy bag, you should roll a glass bottle or a bat up and down your shins not hit your shins with them.

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 5:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Some styles will use copper cables for conditioning purposes. Though I have not been exposed to that sort of thing. Repeated body contact will condition the area.

However, it's not necessairily a good idea to just "invent" some conditioning program using sticks to beat yourself.
    So many good jokes to make about "beating myself"... In any case, they're old wrapped rattan sticks that have gotten weak from hitting other sticks. They give a bit and are quite a bit softer than other people's shins. I don't "beat" myself with them, it's moderate contact and it does leave some bruises. To be honest, if they're softer than the shins I've had contact with and am supposed to be blocking, I don't think it's going to do much ill.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 5:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous
    Any particular reason?

From pretty much every single pro or otherwise veteran Thai boxer I've seen/heard/read speak on the issue (including those in thailand), this sort of method is highly frowned upon. I don't recall what the specific reasons were, but the consensus seems to be that it has minimal results with a good potential for damaging your shins. I also hear things about blood clots, but I don't know how substantiated those claims are.

The biggest thing that people in the know who talk about shin conditioning is icing properly and giving your shins the proper time to heal. If you continue bashing your legs after bruising them up, you'r skin will callous over but you'll still have bruising underneath and your shins won't become any more conditioned. If you're kicking a hard, punishing bag a few times a week at your gym, you shouldn't need to be continuing the abuse at home.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there have been a variety of threads on shin conditioning... lots of different opinions so do your homework and make up your own mind.

as far as the heavy bag goes, i love mine, i use the ones at the school and the thai pads for conditioning, and i like that this bag is a bit softer.

i can work bare knuckles, wraps, mma gloves or boxing gloves all depending on what i want to work on.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 5:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    I was under the impression that if you want to condition your shins with something other than a heavy bag, you should roll a glass bottle or a bat up and down your shins not hit your shins with them.

I think this is another rumor that's been spread by 16 year olds that THINK this is a good practice. I have my doubts that it really helps for much other than callousing the skin.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 5:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I think this is another rumor that's been spread by 16 year olds that THINK this is a good practice. I have my doubts that it really helps for much other than callousing the skin.
    I'm just reapeating what Google said.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 6:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    there have been a variety of threads on shin conditioning... lots of different opinions so do your homework and make up your own mind.

as far as the heavy bag goes, i love mine, i use the ones at the school and the thai pads for conditioning, and i like that this bag is a bit softer.

i can work bare knuckles, wraps, mma gloves or boxing gloves all depending on what i want to work on.

In my opinion, not every bag needs to be like hitting a stone pillar. I feel that softer bags have just as much use as harder bags. Sometimes I'll work on the water filled bags when I want to work staying loose and throwing quick combinations. Being able to hit something nice and solid every time you throw an attack is a nicety that you won't always get while fighting, so (IMO) it can be good to practice hitting softer bags aswell.

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 6:20pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As said, a simple search for "Shin Conditioning" will yield a lot of results.

Ultimately, I've read that using a rolling pin on your shins will APPEAR to condition your shins...but will only, in fact, damage the nerves.

When this happens, you have an unconditioned shin without a pain stimulus...which is bad. You'll keep kicking and blocking even though your shin is fractured simply because you don't receive a large enough "HOLY **** THAT HURTS" signal.

Think about those pro football players that used to get illegal steroid injections for problem knee injuries. The injection would reduce the pain and allow the athlete to play...but the injury would still be there, and playing full-strength on the injury lead to even greater injuries.

You won't feel the damage if your nerves are dead, but the damage will still add up.

Trust me, you don't want to **** around with your shins. It sucks being under 30 yet unable to run or jog for extended periods of time.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 6:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, I really don't see how rolling things on your shins or lightly banging them with sticks would do much to prepare your shins for the kind of impact you'd be getting from a blocked thai kick.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 6:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Truthfully, this isn't coming from experience just the shin conditioning threads on this board and a google search I did a while ago. But according to what I read, it seemed all shin conditioning is doing is conditioning your body to the pain, your bones will never really get harder, because bone fractures even microfractures take a very long time to heal.
    Edit:
    I'm putting these in as I find hem
    http://www.ironlife.com/mag/issue6/shin.shtml
    http://members.aol.com/ThaiRing/faqs.html
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 4/11/2006 6:42pm at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast