Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 9:43am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lo Pan vs Ueshiba for supremacy of the universe beyond the grave!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:12am

Style: kb, tapping, jjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    Chill porch. You are thinking too much about this technique or that technique. A shihan or another experienced player of aikido will simply switch to a better technique if they find that the original one does not work. No big deal. Just like Judo, for example, you originally want to do a leg reap say Osoto Gari, but your opponent knows it and resist, well, just reverse and go into yoko gake or yaware or something of similar flavour. Same analogy here Porch. No need to play along, just be good with your ukemi. Resisting your teacher is fun, I learn a lot of counter techniques by resisting my sensei and other fellow yudansha.
    A reversal against an opponent is not the same as a reversal against a uke. Bad analogy.

Oops, my bad. Try this
    Some clips of Tomiki shiai video
    I'm just getting "page not found" from all the links on that page.

not the best by far but not many good clips of competitive aikido around. I tried looking for them, but came out quite dissapointed myself.
    Know whatcha mean.

Hmmm, many of these guys in the video are ranked player in other Japanese Budo such as Kendo, Judo and Karate. And some of them are currently in the Yoshinkan Hombu teaching the Tokyo Riot Police / Diplomatic corp self defense courses. The next time I see them I will tell them to buck up because some bullshido forumer isn't impress with their striking skill.
    Does that video show them attempting whatever strikes they want to the best of their ability?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 12:21pm

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ikeda Sensei is one of those shihan's that is on the fence with me. I have seen the way he does techniques and he is one of the better ones out there. It seems like he does nothing but do seminars. I have my definite opinions on that, but that is a separate issue. How would he do against a completly non-compliant opponent? Who knows? He does have some great skill and as that as a basis, I can't think that he would be horrible against a non compliant type. Just to say that "he sucks" because he is using his own ukes is not a fair assesment in my book. Like everyone else says...is there anywhwere on his site that says those techniques are meant for self defense or competition? Does he profess to be the ultimate in something? He is showing technique for the sake of showing technique.

BTW...if you think that suwari waza is a technique to use against people and you are not living in feudal Japan in a castle, then you don't know what suwari waza is for.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 12:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvinMP
    Ikeda Sensei is one of those shihan's that is on the fence with me. I have seen the way he does techniques and he is one of the better ones out there. It seems like he does nothing but do seminars. I have my definite opinions on that, but that is a separate issue. How would he do against a completly non-compliant opponent? Who knows? He does have some great skill and as that as a basis, I can't think that he would be horrible against a non compliant type. Just to say that "he sucks" because he is using his own ukes is not a fair assesment in my book. Like everyone else says...is there anywhwere on his site that says those techniques are meant for self defense or competition? Does he profess to be the ultimate in something? He is showing technique for the sake of showing technique.

BTW...if you think that suwari waza is a technique to use against people and you are not living in feudal Japan in a castle, then you don't know what suwari waza is for.
    I can agree with you yet, this has to go across the board.

If porch or others said this by linking to his site you'd be completely right. GMW, brought him here to defend the effectivness of Aikido. So, by doing this, he has opened Ikeda Sensei videos up for critique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 4:50pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the profferred examples of 'effective aikido' vids just show the same old half-assed clunky wierd attacks DESIGNED to make typical dojo aikido look like it works.

In my opinion the only things worth learning from aikido are Nikkyo, finger-locking, and keeping just out of range to get the opponent a bit too riled so he overcommits, but that bit can be found in plenty of other arts.

All the twirly stuff is useless against non-aikidoka, and learning it as if it is effective just makes you more likely to get injured if seriously attacked.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 4:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did BSONe go back to Aikiweb? You guys scare all the fun away.

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 7:55pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster
    All the profferred examples of 'effective aikido' vids just show the same old half-assed clunky wierd attacks DESIGNED to make typical dojo aikido look like it works.

In my opinion the only things worth learning from aikido are Nikkyo, finger-locking, and keeping just out of range to get the opponent a bit too riled so he overcommits, but that bit can be found in plenty of other arts.

All the twirly stuff is useless against non-aikidoka, and learning it as if it is effective just makes you more likely to get injured if seriously attacked.
    As far as twilry **** goes, kotegashi and jujinage both work. You can pull some semi-twirly **** off of a good sankyo hold as well. Aikido works, but most of the people who practice it can't do it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 9:02pm

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    If porch or others said this by linking to his site you'd be completely right. GMW, brought him here to defend the effectivness of Aikido. So, by doing this, he has opened Ikeda Sensei videos up for critique.
    Oi! It is Fake??, I did not bring up the link to Ikeda's site, see page 1 and check out the thread started who is actually Bradley T. Apparently, little noob BradleyT started this thread and dissapear... hiding, too scare to play with us. Come out come out Bradley, we be nice... we promise.

By the way, It is fake?? seems to be gramatically incorrect, try Is it Fake?

GMW

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 9:24pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Did BSONe go back to Aikiweb? You guys scare all the fun away.
    No he is Aikido's savior. He gets riled up when people insult Aikido which, I actually understand.

He refuses to see anything in a different light so, he gets angry, posts a few quips, and leaves.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 9:33pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    Oi! It is Fake??, I did not bring up the link to Ikeda's site, see page 1 and check out the thread started who is actually Bradley T. Apparently, little noob BradleyT started this thread and dissapear... hiding, too scare to play with us. Come out come out Bradley, we be nice... we promise.

By the way, It is fake?? seems to be gramatically incorrect, try Is it Fake?

GMW
    Actually, it has to do with finding out I may have done Bullshido KF. So, It is Fake, is an affirmation of the confirmation of false hood, in a questioning manner.

Remember when you become the grammar police check your own paragraph.

Read the bold for your grammar and spelling errors.
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast