Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 11:18pm

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BSONE
    How would you know if it is trained with resistanc? Again I ask you dip ****, have you trained with Ikeda sensei? If you had, then you could have resisted him for yourself and found out something, but instead, you envelope yourself in stupidity and ignorance and claim your own fame as an knw it all.

Thank you for your time.
    If you resist against an experienced aikido practitioner, no sweat honey, we just change the vector or trajectory of force applied and continue to send you off your way. <In evil Borg voice>... "Resistance is futile"

Read some testimonials below.

sceptical?

convinced yet?

Although the above are purely anecdotal, but it does give some feel of how experienced aikidoka deal with non-compliant uke.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 11:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAB MY WRIST
    If you resist against an experienced aikido practitioner, no sweat honey, we just change the vector or trajectory of force applied and continue to send you off your way. <In evil Borg voice>... "Resistance is futile"

Read some testimonials below.

sceptical?

convinced yet?

Although the above are purely anecdotal, but it does give some feel of how experienced aikidoka deal with non-compliant uke.
    No.

I love the compliant opponent decides to become uncompliant look what it proves.

The uke is already in control so of course the experiencd aikidoka wins.

Of course this demonstration wasn't staged, to prove a point . Sarcasm.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 4/12/2006 12:09am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 11:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    grrrr....
    I wonder if I can find video of it somewhere . I would love to see Aikidoka compete . What were the rule ? Where can I find info on it ?
    BFM,

Here, try this link...click on the Gozo Shioda video link.
    the rule is simple. First to land a hit at sensei gets to be an instant 10th Dan or whatever equivalent.

For those interested, watch G. shioda's atemi using his entire body. NB. Atemi is strictly not confined to using fist nor legs. By being creative, you can atemi using any part of your body.

Mr Jones, for someone who was put off by aikido, I am perplexed at why you still maintain your martial art as aikido. Do explain will ya'hun? And what the heck is redneck aikido?

GMW

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 12:03am

Style: kb, tapping, jjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "One of my sempai was testing our Japanese shihan by trying not to go down during a katate dori sokumen iriminage. The shihan smiled and converted the technique into an elbow drop: he made it into a sacrifice throw where he fell on my sempai with his elbow in the center of his chest. We all thought: better him than me."

So...by this guy simply "trying not to go down", the shihan (a Japanese one no less) was unable to complete his technique. Wise master responds by elbowing the guy in the chest. What does the class learn? I had better play along if I'm called on to make shihan look good or I'll get the beats!

What is it you're trying to convince people of?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 12:28am

Style: kb, tapping, jjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here, try this link...click on the Gozo Shioda video link.
    the rule is simple. First to land a hit at sensei gets to be an instant 10th Dan or whatever equivalent.
    That must be the wrong link. I thought you were going to show a competition, not more compliant demos.

Unless you actually want me to believe that at any point in that clip one of the students was really trying to land a strike on sensei. If that's the case, it is very, very sad that these aikidoka have worse striking abilities than the average asshole off the street with no training whatsoever. They look like someone who has just been pepper sprayed, running hysterically with both hands out so they don't smash into anything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 3:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I aim to please you, Porch...

Quote Originally Posted by porch
    "One of my sempai was testing our Japanese shihan by trying not to go down during a katate dori sokumen iriminage. The shihan smiled and converted the technique into an elbow drop: he made it into a sacrifice throw where he fell on my sempai with his elbow in the center of his chest. We all thought: better him than me."

So...by this guy simply "trying not to go down", the shihan (a Japanese one no less) was unable to complete his technique. Wise master responds by elbowing the guy in the chest. What does the class learn? I had better play along if I'm called on to make shihan look good or I'll get the beats!

What is it you're trying to convince people of?
    Chill porch. You are thinking too much about this technique or that technique. A shihan or another experienced player of aikido will simply switch to a better technique if they find that the original one does not work. No big deal. Just like Judo, for example, you originally want to do a leg reap say Osoto Gari, but your opponent knows it and resist, well, just reverse and go into yoko gake or yaware or something of similar flavour. Same analogy here Porch. No need to play along, just be good with your ukemi. Resisting your teacher is fun, I learn a lot of counter techniques by resisting my sensei and other fellow yudansha.

Quote Originally Posted by porch
    That must be the wrong link. I thought you were going to show a competition, not more compliant demos.
    Oops, my bad. Try this
    Some clips of Tomiki shiai video, not the best by far but not many good clips of competitive aikido around. I tried looking for them, but came out quite dissapointed myself.

Unless you actually want me to believe that at any point in that clip one of the students was really trying to land a strike on sensei. If that's the case, it is very, very sad that these aikidoka have worse striking abilities than the average asshole off the street with no training whatsoever. They look like someone who has just been pepper sprayed, running hysterically with both hands out so they don't smash into anything.
    Hmmm, many of these guys in the video are ranked player in other Japanese Budo such as Kendo, Judo and Karate. And some of them are currently in the Yoshinkan Hombu teaching the Tokyo Riot Police / Diplomatic corp self defense courses. The next time I see them I will tell them to buck up because some bullshido forumer isn't impress with their striking skill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 3:50am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Yoshinkan Hombu teaching the Tokyo Riot Police"

people always bring that up. OOOhh, riot police. According to the book "Angry White Pajamas" they teach exactly the same stuff as the regular class, they just treat the students worse. And the stuff they teach in the regular course is the usual useless stuff. Also, why does my 3 DVD set of Yoshinkan not show one bit of aikido against a on complient/non aikido attack? even the stuff with shioda is lame

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 4:00am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just for interest's sake, there's an article in the Journal of Asian Martian Arts which includes a description of the author using Aikido against a bloke in a boxing stance: Vol. 12:1 -- Olson, G. "Aikido, Judo, and hot peppers: A true story of violence averted". He first takes him down with a Judo throw, and then turns to Aikido to hold him 'peacefully'.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 7:23am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Is it your contention that the toris (or however the hell you pluralise it) in that clip were attacking Ikeda with a serious intent to hit him?

Every attack I throw as uke has serious intent to hit. If you dont move, I'm going to hit you. However, the attack itself sucks and thus is easy to avoid/perform technique. In fact, every time I've ever thrown a good attack, I've connected. I should note I've trained with 4th, 5th, and 6th dan aikidoka.

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 8:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About the Ikeda Sensei Clip:

In short:

Seated tecniques - suwari waza- (hanmi handachi waza when tori is seated and uke on his feet) have the purpose of developing balance, movility and hip strenght, no more but no less.

About clips of Tomiki Style shiai: Search function is your friend. If you haven't seen linked here before, is not my problem, is yours.
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast