I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 4:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

CSW or BJJ?

I have an opportunity to do some training in both CSW and BJJ however I only really have the time for one.

GoJu-Jitsu is a good system that strives to use all ranges of fighting. The problem is that with it you become a jack of all trades and master of none.

I am ok with taking people down and staying in a top position, but when I start grappling from knees or get put on my back I suck. I feel the BJJ would help the most in that area, however CSW is a great system that incorporates some BJJ and is a no-gi based system which I haven't done any training in so I am interested in that as well.

I am going to try both but I was wondering what people who have trained in both thought.

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 4:09pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of curiosity what does CSW stand for?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 4:10pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoyed BJJ but the no striking thing really bothered me. First thing first: What do you want out of the training? Also I know you said time is the reason your not doing both but are you still doing your "little bit of boxing"? Since I have no experience with GoJu-Jitsu I'm not even going to even act like I know what it is.

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 4:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Out of curiosity what does CSW stand for?
    Combat Submission Wrestling

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 4:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Combat Submission Wrestling
    Sounds like fun. Do you get to wear those awesome Puroresu boots?
    :new_all_c

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 4:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinz
    I enjoyed BJJ but the no striking thing really bothered me. First thing first: What do you want out of the training? Also I know you said time is the reason your not doing both but are you still doing your "little bit of boxing"? Since I have no experience with GoJu-Jitsu I'm not even going to even act like I know what it is.

Goju-jitsu has a lot of striking and is a good system to learn how to incorporate it with take downs and submissions. CSW is like that but trained harder and more MMA oriented while Goju-jitsu still has a lot of TMA stuff in it, which is fine.

On one hand the CSW would take my existing skills (for what ever that's worth) and sharpen them, but the BJJ would address a serious hole in my abilities which is fighting from my back.

As far as the boxing goes I am not really doing anything with that anymore as my friend who's a boxer changed his schedule.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make the decision based on the instructors and the price, and of course your goals. I don't think anyone here is going to say: such and such is better for you than so and so. Use your head and make your own decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 4:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samfoo
    Make the decision based on the instructors and the price, and of course your goals. I don't think anyone here is going to say: such and such is better for you than so and so. Use your head and make your own decisions.
    It's at the same place I can do both but just don't have time.

www.kombatarts.com

Obviously I'll give them both a try but I am just curious as to what other people who might have been in a simillar boat have found to be better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 5:21pm

Style: Muay Thai , BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your really have this hard of a time deciding then I'd base it on which one you feel the instructor is going to be better at teaching.

Posted On:
    4/30/2006 5:48pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    It's at the same place I can do both but just don't have time.

www.kombatarts.com

Obviously I'll give them both a try but I am just curious as to what other people who might have been in a simillar boat have found to be better.
    Depending on how your CSW class is taught, it can often end up mostly just being no-gi BJJ (that's what it was at my original school, for the most part).

What are your goals? If you want to compete, why not dump the Goju-Jitsu and switch over to CSW and BJJ? If you don't want to compete, I'd probably suggest the BJJ, since that's what is going to sharpen your ground game the fastest. Also, who teaches the classes? From what I can see, a Nova Unao black belt teaches the BJJ, but who teaches CSW? If it's a tossup between a BJJ BB and someone with markedly less experience teaching the CSW, I'd jump on the BJJ train pronto.

Of course, check them both out and see which you like better.
    Last edited by Cassius; 4/30/2006 5:52pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast