software engineer

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 1:02am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

jolting your brain from a punch?

I use pretty thin bag gloves when I hit the heavy bag.
    I notice that sometimes, when I throw a really stiff cross or hook,
    my head will shake enough to hurt my brain, or at least give me
    that sensation. Does this mean
    1) my technique is off? I don't think I'm hitting myself in the jaw with my shoulder or anything like that, but could be something else.
    2) I should use fluffier gloves?

I don't feel like I'm that strong of a puncher, and I want to know if I should be fixing my technique or if I should just use bigger gloves.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 1:05am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it really sounds like you're being too stiff when you punch. Try to relax and not always attempt to obliterate the bag when you hit it. Even when I hit the bag hard, I don't get this sensation.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

software engineer

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 1:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    it really sounds like you're being too stiff when you punch. Try to relax and not always attempt to obliterate the bag when you hit it. Even when I hit the bag hard, I don't get this sensation.
    I think that's part of it: the jolt comes when my arm is so stiff that the impact propogates back down across my shoulders. So I should just shorten the amount of time I stiffen? Or do I need to relax even through the point of impact?

I feel like I'm just flailing if I don't stiffen up for the impact.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 1:16am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    I think that's part of it: the jolt comes when my arm is so stiff that the impact propogates back down across my shoulders. So I should just shorten the amount of time I stiffen? Or do I need to relax even through the point of impact?

I feel like I'm just flailing if I don't stiffen up for the impact.
    Personally (and this is what my boxing coach always told me) I think it's more important to stay loose pretty much the whole time and tense your arm up just a bit at the point of impact (like, keep your hand slightly open while you throw the punch and then squeeze just as you make impact). If you're too tense you're going to put a lot of strain on your arm and it's a lot harder to throw combinations.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    err i couldnt say without seeing you punch but it sounds like you are being way too rigid when you strike. i really cant imagine how you are jolting your head.

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 11:06am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stay loose until the point of impact. Punch through the target. Keep you mouth closed and your chin down. Your chin should be tucked behind your shoulder, with one hand at the side of your face.

Just out of curiosity, have you even played any contact sports before?

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 11:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had the same problem myself. Asked my instructor to correct it for me. He did. I suggest you do the same.

software engineer

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 2:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Stay loose until the point of impact. Punch through the target. Keep you mouth closed and your chin down. Your chin should be tucked behind your shoulder, with one hand at the side of your face.

Just out of curiosity, have you even played any contact sports before?
    Yep. Plenty of line on tackle IM football. I've definitely been hit pretty hard in the body.

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 2:36pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm...

How are you moving your head as you punch? This is kind of a trick question, as it shouldn't move much on its own. It should pretty much move as a part of your center mass/torso, with just a little bit of adjustment. Might this be the problem?

software engineer

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 3:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Hmmm...

How are you moving your head as you punch? This is kind of a trick question, as it shouldn't move much on its own. It should pretty much move as a part of your center mass/torso, with just a little bit of adjustment. Might this be the problem?
    I do one of two things, either keep in roughly in line with my spine (aka don't move it extra), or try to tuck it away from the punching side.

I went back to the bag and tried to observe my punching more closely. I'm pretty certain that the problem is with being too stiff. It's like a car crash. At the apex of my punch, I continue to hold my arm stiff, so my head moves forward from momentum and gets stopped by my neck trying to hold the head straight. So if I just don't stiffen my arm too long after impact, it shouldn't happen.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast