Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 2:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OH. My. God. I want one.

The Ice Test. We filled a tub with water, dropped in the XD with a magazine and put it in the freezer for a week. Breaking it free by dropping the "gunsicle" onto concrete, we let it thaw out on the way to the Oak Tree Gun Club, our favorite outdoor handgun range. Upon arrival, we inserted a fresh magazine into the XD and fired. We fired about 150 rounds before wiping it down and lubricating it. Result: zero malfunctions.

The Dirt Test. Following the lead of the Glock tests, the XD was "caked, covered and buried alive in soils of varying consistencies." We used everything from dust and ash to moist dirt and sand. We fired 100 rounds after subjecting the XD to each of the five kinds of dirt, for a total of 500 rounds. Predictably, sand proved the most challenging to its mechanism. After burying the gun in sand, then stepping on it to grind it in, we took it out to shoot. The slide cycled noticeably slower, but the gun never jammed. Result: zero malfunctions.

The Mud Test. The XD was covered with thick, gritty mud. After a quick shaking off, it was fired 100 times. Mud went everywhere from the recoil, mostly on the shooters, some on bystanders--it was amazing how much sprayed off the gun. Still, the gun kept working. Result: zero malfunctions.

The Water Test. Fully loaded, the XD was left completely submerged, removed from the water and fired. This was repeated 10 times, firing 10 rounds each for a total of 100 rounds. Result: zero malfunctions.

The Chemical Degreaser Test. Using GunScrubber, all lubricant was removed from the firearm. After making sure there wasn't any lubricant remaining on the firearm, the gun was fired. Glock's test fired 100 rounds. We fired 150. Result: zero malfunctions.

The Tire Test. We placed the XD on a gravel surface, then had shooting champion Mike Dalton drive his Toyota Tundra repeatedly over it, then park on the weapon. We then retrieved and fired it 100 times. Result: zero malfunctions.

:new_all_c

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    4/14/2006 9:01pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The XD does fucking rock. My latest buy was an XD-.45. Shoots better than just about any other sidearm I've ever used, and I've hardly practiced with it.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/14/2006 11:36pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm really thiking hard on the .45, but I'm wondering how big of a print will it have if I carry? The 3 inch .40 I have now leaves none.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 5:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I'm really thiking hard on the .45, but I'm wondering how big of a print will it have if I carry? The 3 inch .40 I have now leaves none.
    I'm not really sure what you're referring to in regards to 'print', but if it helps out, my XD has a 4 inch barrel. Shouldn't be too much different.

Just for point of interest, what I find rather cool about the XD .45 is that, while it fires the .45 GAP cartridge, it still has the same ballistic performance overall as the .45 ACP cartridge, but it's still a shorter cartridge giving the pistol a similar feel to a Glock .40 cal, IMO.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 5:52pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    I'm not really sure what you're referring to in regards to 'print', but if it helps out, my XD has a 4 inch barrel. Shouldn't be too much different.

Just for point of interest, what I find rather cool about the XD .45 is that, while it fires the .45 GAP cartridge, it still has the same ballistic performance overall as the .45 ACP cartridge, but it's still a shorter cartridge giving the pistol a similar feel to a Glock .40 cal, IMO.
    Ahhh, sorry, you don't have many civvies carrying concealed up there, legally anyways. :)

Print is the term they use when the outline of a firearm shows through clothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhh, sorry, you don't have many civvies carrying concealed up there, legally anyways. :)

Print is the term they use when the outline of a firearm shows through clothing.
    Like the "conceal" rating for firearms in Shadowrun? :icon_chee (nerd glory)

Pheonix,
    I was reading an article in a magazine a couple of weeks ago saying that they were coming out with a .45 ACP version of the XD. I think they were saying that they were able to make some modifications without really making the thing too bulky, but it was all in shooter-speak and I didn't understand what parts had to be scaled up (plus saying something is .0073 inches wider is hard for me to picture, much less weigh the pros and cons of going with the ACP version).
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 9:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong

Pheonix,
    I was reading an article in a magazine a couple of weeks ago saying that they were coming out with a .45 ACP version of the XD. I think they were saying that they were able to make some modifications without really making the thing too bulky, but it was all in shooter-speak and I didn't understand what parts had to be scaled up (plus saying something is .0073 inches wider is hard for me to picture, much less weigh the pros and cons of going with the ACP version).
    I recall hearing something about that not too long ago, myself.

It would certainly be a good idea because the larger cartridge also means a larger bullet :new_2guns

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 9:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ah. 10-4.

Like I said, the XD .45 GAP with a 5 inch barell should give a similar effect as your XD .40

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 4:36am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I almost bought one of these in .40, but I was moving to japan at the time and gave up on the idea. They are "tHe quality" in my opinion.

the XD .45 GAP with a 5 inch barell should give a similar effect as your XD .40
    Ah, so the .45 GAP is starting to become popular?
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/20/2006 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Gnujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong

Pheonix,

The .45 ACP 4" XD has been out for awhile now and they're coming out with the tactical 5" version. It's an awesome gun that's just slightly bigger than the 9.
    Legendary Street Fighter
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast