Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 7:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ju Jitsu Jason.

If there is a good Judo club near by, go with that.

I say again. If you have already done Taekwon do and Muay Thai then there is really no point doing a strking art like Shotokan. I doubt you'll learn anything new.

I would choose Judo over Japanses Ju Justu because Judo is a competition based art in which clubs focus on fitness work and lots of sparring (randori).

As far as your back goes how bad is it. Judo has not given me back problems. In fact some of the stretches we do have helped it.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 7:15pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujitsu Jason
    Greese,

Undecided. I may stick to this one. Not sure.

Why?
    Because having multiple accounts on here is a permaban offense.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't listen to Hannibal; he's repeating generalizations and pretending they are an informed opinion. By all means take the Judo class but if you are worried about your back for any reason then it will likely exacerbate existing problems.

I am not located in Toronto, I am in the USA.
    Ah, too bad. I have seen a local club that identifies itself as "Goshin Kai" and I would not recommend you train at any equivalent school. Does the Goshin club practice Kyoshin-Ryu?

Who is the Shotokan club run by?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 7:17pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh didn't know that, made another one with 1 post. Made it to change the name. But decided to post on my original.

Greese, you can delete the other one, I will stick with this one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 8:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is the source/nature of your back pains? I have lower back pain caused by some minor problem with my spine, but my doctor tells me I can do pretty much anything except powerlifting. The only time I get this pain is if I'm bent forward for an extended amount of time (situps, toe-touches, etc.) There is usually some back pain for me after Judo depending on what throws/groundwork I did, but it's gone after about a day and has no adverse effects on my training.

So again, what is the source of your back pain? If you're worried about it, have it looked into by a doctor. If you're lucky like me, it's nothing serious and shouldn't influence your decision on what to train in.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 11:22pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is Shotokan really old enough to be considered traditional?

Anyway, goshin jj is also gendai, so it is not traditional jujutsu. I'd... how to put this gingerly... avoid it like the plague.

Judo is not hard on the back, at all. It is if you land wrong, but.. well... pay attention when you learn breakfalls. Judo is a good art, especially if you have a sensei who focuses on mat work or you cross train in BJJ.

Oh, and Shotokan generally isn't the best form of karate. Look for a Kyokushin or Enshin-kai dojo in your area.
    --
    L.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 11:43pm

Style: JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you already have back pain and problems, stop doing the JJJ and go see a doctor.
    JJ (any form) forces you to contort your body into odd postions. Strains, bruises, and minor injuries are part of the training, get used to it.

I would never recommend someone that has prior back injuries that already cause pain, to train in JJ. Especially JJJ or judo. You will be regularly picked up and hurled at the mats. Yes, they will teach you to fall. But things don't always go as plan and you will take some hard bumps, just part of life.

Taking Shotokan after toing TKD and MT (like everyone said) will prolly be a large waste of your time. The katas from Shotokan and TKD are very, very similar. The techniques will also be near the same, except you migth be taught to keep your hands up guarding your face.

If you have back problems, first see a doctor, then go try to find a striking art that you like. None of us have to like your art...just you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 12:28am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ItOnlyHurtsOnce,

There are not many options where I live, basically the JJJ, Judo, and Shotokan are the best choices. There are two other places that deal in TKD and KF but from watching a class they look totally ridiculous and don't do sparring.

I saw in your profile you took Shotokan. In your opinion, do you feel you get any sort of pratical self defense out of it?

I liked TKD (even though people here seem to laugh at it) and I liked MT. The striking arts where always enjoyable for me. But like I said, I am not looking to be a UFC guy, just want to be in good shape and be able to handle myself in I get attacked or whatnot. I thought the shotokan may not be bad because they do full contact sparring as well.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 12:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the Shotokan club has hard training and full contact sparring, then it's a good place to train. No problem there. It's just that if you have done TKD and Muay Thai then you've got the striking game covered. As I said before I don't think you'll learn anything new.

I just suggested Judo in case you where interested in grappling. Judo is very diverse and you will lean alot. But if your happy just to stick to a striking art, then go with Shotokan. Simple.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 1:34am

Style: JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ItOnlyHurtsOnce,

I saw in your profile you took Shotokan. In your opinion, do you feel you get any sort of pratical self defense out of it?
    First things first, what teh hell kind of martial art doesn't spar. Martial arts without sparring is like phonesex. You may trick your brain into believing its good, but you still aren't getting to touch anyone.

Yes, I feel I got a lot of good stuff out of Shotokan. It was taught hand in hand with the JJJ, the classes blurred as the ranges changed.

Shotokan was good. However, it also taught me alot of bad habits too. Things I'm trying unlearn and change years later. My biggest beef with a lot of martial arts is you spend so much time learning to do things a certain way (katas) but even the instructor says you don't have enough time to properly execute that technique in a real-life situation, so we do this. The question is why don't we do that in the first place?

After 15 years (yes, I'm a slow learner) I've realised its because you are coming there to learn that system, flaws and all. You are not coming there to learn how to fight and defend yourself in the most efficient manner. Doesn't matter what system it is, you inherit the flaws with the good stuff.

Any art you pick should allow you to better defend yourself against the average asshole you may meet. At my age, common sense alone is usually enough to avoid most confrontations. So I recommend finding an art you enjoy and learning that. If you are worried about true self-defense. Carry a weapon and train how to use it (ie pepper spray, stun gun, baton, firearm). It takes a lot less time and gives you a larger advantage.

Study the arts because you enjoy it and they come with some great side benefits, like showing up at a throwdown to get stomped by random internet friends and strangers.

If you have any specific questions regarding Shotokan or JJJ feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by ItOnlyHurtsOnce; 4/11/2006 1:39am at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast