Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 5:09pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Japanese Jujitsu vs Shotokan Karate

I have been looking at previous threads in regard to Shotokan Karate and Japanese Jujitsu. Both considered a "Traditional" Martial Art.

I have a choice between continuing studying JJJ (includes randori) which I just started lessons in or I could take up Shotokan Karate (Offered with full contact sparring).

I have past experience with TKD and MT, but have not been physically active for the last few years, so I need to work on getting into better shape too. I am 6'4" and about 220 lbs (not sure if body size/weight plays a role in which style would be a better choice) but my goals are to get into better shape and be able to handle myself good in a self defense situation. Not looking to be a UFC guy or anything. I have no other alternatives around where I live that is not just a commercial rip off place. I wanted to know from those experienced with both what is the best path to go? Which style may be best for me? I also have mild back problems from time to time if this plays a role in which way I should go. They offer 4 hours a week in either art. I also have access to cardio machines and weights to help get into better shape in addition to the MA training.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on which may be a better art to study based on my body size , level of condition (been inactive for years) and goals (better shape and being able to handle myself in a self defense situation). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also I am 28 years old.

Thanks

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 5:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does the JJJ do any resistent grappling? If so go for that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 6:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The style is Goshin JJ, btw.

Taking both is not option due to my budget. I will have to decide between one or the other.

How is JJJ training on the back? Is it rough on your back?

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 6:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is JJJ training on the back? Is it rough on your back?
    It can be. Lots of throwing and falling and torqueing in wierd angles.

JJJ schools are random, a lot are crap, some are really good. I would say if they are a modern type style, meaning they have changed the system to relate to the times, go for it. If its uber-traditional..... maybe not so much.

If you've done TKD and MT, you're gonna hate Shotokan. Learning to block a low kick with your forearm..... well you get the idea.

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 6:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujitsu Jason
    The style is Goshin JJ, btw.
    NO. STOP.

Are you located in Toronto?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 6:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How can you tell a good JJJ school from a bad one? How do you know if it is modern vs traditional? I am new to the jujitsu style MA so are there any signs to look for to tell if they are not up to modern times?

TKD had forearm blocks, etc. But when we did our sparring (was full contact) we never used blocks like that. Mainly only touched on them for forms/kata. The TKD school I went to was not big on forms/katas at all. The same school moved into MT. Unfortunately, I moved too far away to attend it anymore. The instructor said they do full contact sparring and he said he also teaches to use knees and elbows too with some grappling moves...I suppose karate can work if you are strong and fast, it is basically punching and kicking.

The jujitsu I am just totally unsure of, I have gone to some classes now but I don't know if it will be right for me and if it is taught too "traditional" without modern methods that would work in a modern day fight. I just don't want to attend classes learning something that is useless if I ever get into a fight.

I am not located in Toronto, I am in the USA.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 6:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch some classes and go for which ever one does the most sparring.

If you have done Taekwon do and Muay Thai there really is no point doing Shotokan. Then again Japanses Ju Justu maybe okay depending on how much sparring (randori) they do. If they don't do any sparring and if both clubs do not appeal to you, then don't join them.

Don't feel you need to train in something for the sake of it. If both clubs are **** your better off looking for something else. Surely there must be Judo...
    Last edited by Hannibal; 4/10/2006 6:55pm at .
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 6:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hannibal,

But wouldn't Judo be very hard on the back? I have some back discomfort now and then so I am not sure how my back would handle the big throws all of the time? There is a Kodokan Judo school near by though.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 6:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujitsu Jason
    How can you tell a good JJJ school from a bad one? How do you know if it is modern vs traditional? I am new to the jujitsu style MA so are there any signs to look for to tell if they are not up to modern times?

TKD had forearm blocks, etc. But when we did our sparring (was full contact) we never used blocks like that. Mainly only touched on them for forms/kata. The TKD school I went to was not big on forms/katas at all. The same school moved into MT. Unfortunately, I moved too far away to attend it anymore. The instructor said they do full contact sparring and he said he also teaches to use knees and elbows too with some grappling moves...I suppose karate can work if you are strong and fast, it is basically punching and kicking.

The jujitsu I am just totally unsure of, I have gone to some classes now but I don't know if it will be right for me and if it is taught too "traditional" without modern methods that would work in a modern day fight. I just don't want to attend classes learning something that is useless if I ever get into a fight.

I am not located in Toronto, I am in the USA.
    Do you want to use this account or the tapout one?
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 7:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greese,

Undecided. I may stick to this one. Not sure.

Why?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast