Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 10:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll give this a shot.

My name is Hukporti, Aloedzi Wolasime I am the founder of Wola-Do.
    Welcome to the board. Thank you for coming to represent your style. People here are rather blunt, but I'm sure a lifetime in the martial arts has taught you to have a thick skin and no ego.

Don't try to do a little detective work on me. Just come in and talk to me so that I can explain my teaching to you.
    That is part of detective work. It's usually called an interview.

Just a simple explanation, I use to practice Shotokan (SKI and JKI), Taekwon-do (ITF and WTF), Evala, Capoeira, Aikido, Judo, Moja, and some Muay Thai moves. I combine all this to make Wola-Do.
    How long did you study each art? What rank did you receive? Under what instructor and accrediting body/association, if any?
    I understand Evala is a form of African wresting, is that right? What is Moja? The only thing I've found is a Moja Festival that celebrates American/Carribean culture.

The name of the are in Ewe ( a language from Togo) is Wola-Mo but I love the Japanese Korean and Japanese Language that is why I put the Do in Place of the MO and both mean the same thing.
    Also, as mentioned above, if the only African influence on your MA is Evala and Moja, do you truly feel comfortable calling your art an African martial art? Why?

I read a not on this site that the Art was created in 1999 and some people are promoted to 7th degree I will explain why. The article in the telegraph News Paper in North Platte, Nebraska was wright and if I promote some one to any kind of degree I want is my own decision because is my style and I can promote every one the way I want it if the deserve it.
    You can promote everyone the way you want even if they don't deserve it. That's where our questions come in.

I will explain you how I promote some of my student to 7th degree black belt: I created my style in 1997 and I promoted two of my students who practice, work and serve me since I was 17 years old and I promess them that if God guide me and I create a Martial Art one day I will guive and promote them to 7th degree and I keep my promess.
    You've had servants since you were 17? And all they wanted was to be 7th degree in a style you created.

I hereby promise that if I ever create a style called "Money-Do," I will award everyone on Bullshido 8th degrees. Do you see the problem we have with stuff like this?

Remember that if you promess some one some thing make shure that you do it and if you do it God will bless you for that.
    Does that include promises of bodily harm? Incidentally, do you also stone prostitutes to death? Why not? The bible said to, after all...I believe it also mentioned something about not lying, but I digress...
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, Hukporti. Will you be sticking around to talk with us? Want to come to a Throwdown?

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 11:38am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uechidude
    Well, to be quite frank with you. I teach over 30 kids in my kids class. I have heard the stories about how great they are doing, and how 3 of my students do so well, and they suffer ADD etc etc. I am glad to hear the parents are pleased. However, I can say , if the parents at home were disciplining their kids right in the first place, they would be doing as well, perhaps even better, then what they receive from their training in the dojo. Maybe you should look into new ways of disciplining your child at home? Any dojo I have ever been in teaches the formalities you discribe, it is not impossible as a parent to do the same.(and yes before you mention it, I have 4 kid's 26-boy 21-boy 18-boy 10-girl).
    With four kids, you've definitely got teh r34l parent-fu.

However, I think 'discipline' at home isn't enough. I think kids need some sort of physical discipline -- sports, martial arts, whatever -- to truly excel.

I think confidence in one's physical abilities is an equally important part of character development as whatever ethics/morals/discipline is taught at home, and that is the source of the many oft-touted benefits of martial arts training for kids comes from.

However, I think any sport or physical activity can generate the same results.

(Just FYI -- I have two sons myself -- one is 3 years old, and one is 1 year old -- compared to you I am a 9th Kyu in parent-fu...)

=)

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 11:45am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    However, I think any sport or physical activity can generate the same results.
    Not one where mediocrity is held up as the new outstanding and competition is sacrificed to the alter of self esteem.

"Without an adversary prowess shrivels. We see how great and efficient it really is only when it shows by endurance what it is capable of."
    Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 1:44pm

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by STV
    Answers: Togo, West Africa
    National Olympic Team Tae Kwon Do in Togo

As for proof and dates, email him
    Okie doke then . . . done and done.

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 1:57pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by STV
    Answers: Togo, West Africa
    National Olympic Team Tae Kwon Do in Togo

As for proof and dates, email him
    Togo, WTF ... and Jamaica had a Winter Olympics bobsled team......

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:15pm

Style: Uechi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daGorilla
    However, I think 'discipline' at home isn't enough. I think kids need some sort of physical discipline -- sports, martial arts, whatever -- to truly excel.
    (Just FYI -- I have two sons myself -- one is 3 years old, and one is 1 year old -- compared to you I am a 9th Kyu in parent-fu...)

=)
    What I was trying to say, you cannot rely on a dojo etc to teach your children, what they should know, and practice, i.e. Common courtesy, should be taught from birth, school work/activities, can be handled at home, and use something new to inspire your children to learn. Go read some articles, and books, give your self some fresh ideas on how to educate your child, and make learning fun, as well as challanging. Last, but not least, dont come home from work (as most of us are tired) flop on the couch etc, turn on TV, and ignore child/children, until its dinner time. Parents have to make their presense felt, and we should be the one ultimately, putting our ideas into our childrens heads, not schools, teachers, or dojo's such as this one. As far as the physical challanges, MA's are fine my daughter attends my dojo. 5 years now, and 2 of my sons have several years in Uechi Ryu as well. So all I am saying we (parents) need to be a part of our childs development.

Posted On:
    2/08/2007 3:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So all I am saying we (parents) need to be a part of our childs development.
    Not just 'part,' but the main component. What we teach at home should be reinforced outside the home, not vice versa.

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 12:38pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uechidude
    What I was trying to say, you cannot rely on a dojo etc to teach your children, what they should know, and practice, i.e. Common courtesy... So all I am saying we (parents) need to be a part of our childs development.
    I agree 100%!

My only inspiration for posting was somewhat reactionary -- not to you, but to the sometimes overstated 'anti-kids' martial arts or 'ethics/philosophy/morals shouldn't be part of a martial arts education' sentiments -- usually spouted by MMA nutriding teens/twenty-somethings with no kids.

I'm not saying ethics/etc need or must be part of a martial arts education, but I'd like to see the common sense/morals/etc I teach my kids re-inforced in the dojo to a degree -- hopefully without having to learn Crapkido or Crap Kwon Do. =)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 12:54pm

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just as an update to the Wola-Do questions. I have emailed the head of the organization with some questions. He has responded to me with some material and I am in the process of emailing him back to ask if I can copy/paste his email onto the board. Otherwise I'll simply be giving a brief over view of what I asked and how he answered. Keep in mind I'm not going to say any sort of opinion based on the answers I received. I'll leave that up to ya'll to make your own decision and discuss it. I don't want my own personal biases influencing anyone else's critical thinking. Won't be around for the weekend so probably will get to this either late Sunday night or Monday at some point.

Cheers
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast